BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Can anyone help me with my 318ic dilemma?

1169 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Time2Fly
I own a 1997 BMW 318ic that I've had for over a decade now and love my Beemer, but I've got a dilemma on my hands right now. My Beemer has approximately 172,000 miles on it, but there's a critical part that goes on the crankshaft that partially broke off, so the fuel injectors can't fire correctly. In addition, the main rubber oil gaskets inside the engine are shot, as the car when it was still running was leaking about a half a quart of oil a week.

The body and paint on the car are in very good condition. It has brand new top of the line Michillen tires on it and of course has the factory honeycomb style custom rims on it as well. The parts needs to do the necessary repairs are under $100, but the engine has to come out and I've been told there's probably 12-15 hours of labor involved in doing that. That brings me to the following options:

1) Sell the car "as is" (I'm open to offers since I don't have the expertise to do the repairs myself);
2) Have a used engine dropped in;
3) Have a rebuilt engine dropped in; or
4) Have the current engine fixed.

I honestly don't know which option I should choose and am looking for everyone's advice here.

I live in South Orange County, CA (LA vicinity), and would welcome any contact information that anyone could provide on free lance BMW mechanics/enthusiasts who would be willing to do the work to either tear down my existing engine or replace it with a used or rebuilt one (I could have the car towed within a reasonable distance from my house).

Please help! Thank you
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
not sure what part you mean...:confused:

crank sensors and cam sensors come to mind, but still, they don't need to hae the engine removed to repair.

pics?? :dunno:

df
Maybe they mean the crank pulley itself? The notched wheel connected to the back of it is what triggers the crank position sensor. That's easy to get off and replace, too. And the seals they're describing sound like the valve cover gasket and the plug recess gaskets, because there aren't any "main rubber oil gaskets inside the engine". Again, a no-big-deal fix. I think I'd get a second opinion from a different mechanic.

Purdueman, we need more info.
What model beemer do you have?
I own a 1997 BMW 318ic that I've had for over a decade now and love my Beemer
^I second this one. The only part that could break and cause a no fire is the crank sensor. Post pictures of what is broke.
Maybe they mean the crank pulley itself? The notched wheel connected to the back of it is what triggers the crank position sensor. That's easy to get off and replace, too. And the seals they're describing sound like the valve cover gasket and the plug recess gaskets, because there aren't any "main rubber oil gaskets inside the engine". Again, a no-big-deal fix. I think I'd get a second opinion from a different mechanic.

Purdueman, we need more info.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.