BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Can anyone identify this sound?

1229 Views 15 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  RCorney
I've been hearing this sound recently in the mornings and if my car has sat for all day (like I skip lunch and head home at 5pm) Dispappears after a bit of driving.

I've got no lights in dash and no percievable driveability issues.

I've got about 95k on my M56.

At first I thought it was the 2nd air pump, but sound does not come from that part of the engine. Seems to be RPM dependent but not necessarily gear or tranny dependent... I'm stumped and appreciate your listening ears.

The end of the video, in my opinion, is the most distinctive sound when I blip the gas pedal. I point to the back because it seems to come from there more so than a belt or something like that.

http://youtu.be/OXFG8PAU2lY
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Tensioners and pulleys...
This.

Pour water on the belt/pulleys and when the sound gets worse or stops that's where your problem is.
Tensioners and pulleys...
Thanks guys...
If you're replacing one, replace them all
I replaced the AC belt about a year ago. The serpentine looked fine. I'm guessing it not now. (I may have those switched... will need to check my file)

Why does the sound come from the rear of corner of the engine bay? I did not replace any tensioners. I replaced the belt in the process of replacing a failed power steering pump.
I wouldn't drive that thing another inch until you replace the idler and tensioner pulleys. That sounds BAD. They are "fixin" to explode.......(southern vernacular).
^^
Lol I just said that to myself in a southern voice in my head. I can't stop laughing.
Hi, I'm from Alabama. We wear shoes now :D
^^
Lol I just said that to myself in a southern voice in my head. I can't stop laughing.
Seriously? I've been driving it for about 2 months now with that sound coming on cold and going away as it warms up... now you're freaking me out.

Are these the parts your saying are near explosion? (circled red)

Attachments

^^
Yes hes talking about those parts. You can pour water on it to stop the sound right away if you want lol. But I would definitely change them out asap.

Hi, I'm from Alabama. We wear shoes now :D
LOL.
Well... I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend...
If you need help and want to come by my place I'll be more than happy to help. Although I Salinas is REALLY far from my house lol. But don't worry it's a super easy job. Remove fan shroud and fan and you can do it all from he top of the engine bay. Shouldn't take more than 30mins to an hour.
Well... I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend...
^^thanks for the offer and reassurance MMV, although I have an AT so the fan doesn't come off all that easily. Last time I did this (for the PS pump) all had to be done from underneath. I just have to snake the belt in and around everything.
Plus, as nice as Malibu is, this weekend is Concorso Italiano, Classic Car Racing, Laguna Seca etc. etc... you should come up and bring your Maserati. I'll give you a place to sleep in exchange for repair assistance. (Monterey & Salinas double and quadrouple their hotel/ motel rates this weekend).
I would definitely take you up on that offer if I didn't have so much work to do!. All my L4P buddies are up at Monterey car week w/ Italian stampede etc. It's definitely a great week to be in that area.

Even if you have a Auto just use a hammer to smack the crap out of the fan to come off lol. If you run into any problems feel free to post on here etc I'm sure myself and others here have no problem helping you as much as we can.
^^thanks for the offer and reassurance MMV, although I have an AT so the fan doesn't come off all that easily. Last time I did this (for the PS pump) all had to be done from underneath. I just have to snake the belt in and around everything.
Plus, as nice as Malibu is, this weekend is Concorso Italiano, Classic Car Racing, Laguna Seca etc. etc... you should come up and bring your Maserati. I'll give you a place to sleep in exchange for repair assistance. (Monterey & Salinas double and quadrouple their hotel/ motel rates this weekend).
All done. You were right; 30 to 60 minutes job. Fan came off using the sledge and wrench method and went back on simply with the string method.
Tensioners sounded like there was no grease in them and they spun forever.
Thanks so much guys for the help.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.