BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
708 Posts
One presumes you want a second sub because the first one doesn't provide enought output?

Your amp looks like the cheesiest Alpine available. I don't think I'd run a single sub with it personally.

Maybe you should consider upgrading the woofer to something better and the amp as well. If you get a woofer with more travel and an amp with more wattage, you can make one woofer significatnly louder than your one woofer is now. Let's say you get a DLS, or an ID, or an Arc Audio, or one of the new Zapco I-10"s, and a Zapco or DLS or Arc amplifier, and you'd have better sound and increased output.

If you're anywhere near Milford, go see Audioworks.

·
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WTF? That didn't answer any of my questions just bashed my system.:thumbdwn: When since isn't alpine good stuff? The system was installed a few years ago and I actually love the way it performs still, but I'm getting a good deal on this second sub, so I figured I'd inquire. :dunno:

·
Banned
708 Posts
sc 540i said:
I asked for an answer to a question and was just looking for raw technical advice:dunno:
Another person who wants free advice and doesn't like how it looks. You GOT a technical answer - I guess you just didn't understand it so you internalized it for some reason. If I had simply answered "No", you would have complained about that, too - even though that was the "technical" answer to your original question.

Try posting that system on bimmerforums and see what THEY say :)

Try not taking things personally and just reading the words.

As the cheapest - i.e., the lowest capability - amplifier in the Alpine line, it is probably about powerful enough to run a single sub - especially in a vehicle like yours where it's hard to get sub output into the passenger compartment.

So if you are wanting to add a second sub of the same type, and that sub is 4 ohms, that amp that you showed would be incapable of delivering maximum rated power into two 4 ohm voice coil woofers. WHen you bridge an amp into 4 ohms, you get its max power usually. With two 4 ohm woofers, you can't GET the load to 4 ohms, and you can't get enough power.

So IF you want louder bass , there are better ways to get it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Since you've not provided enough information as of exactly what you would like to achieve, it's difficult to formulate a proper answer to your question. Thus, el duderino can only make suggestions for some a better alternatives. Why do you want to buy more equipment just because it's on sale? Isn't the main goal here is trying to achieve better sound? More equipments does NOT equal better sound! Remember that this is a public forum and NOBODY is obligated to provide you with any answer. Just be thankful for any suggestions/advise since they are FREE.

With that said and getting down to the technical nitty gritty...The answer is NOT as simple as you might think. Just showing pictures of your set-up isn't enough.

(1) Your amp (MRP-M350) is only rated at 350Wrms driving a 2-ohm load...that is if you can keep your alternator output at 14.4V (short answer = you're NOT gonna get the 350Wrms on most cars). The amp is rated at 200Wrms when driving a 4-ohm load.

(2) The Type R subs have a rating of 500Wrms...so with your current set-up, your amp can barely provide enough power to push that sub (assuming that you got the correct version of the sub and wired them up properly to get the most out of your amp). Since the Type R sub comes in either a dual 4-ohm or dual 2-ohm configurations, you did NOT said which version you have.
(2a) If you got the dual 4-ohm version, you need to wire them in parallel to form a 2-ohm load to take full advantage of your amp -350Wrms (in this case, your sub would suck up everything your amp can dish out). So, the answer to your question is NO...your amp CANNOT drive your current sub adequately...let alone another one on top of that.
(2b) If you got the dual 2-ohm version, you need to wire them in series to form a 4-ohm load, which won't take full advantage of your amp since that amp can only put out 200Wrms into a 4-ohm load (you can't wire them in parallel because doing so will make it a 1-ohm load, which WILL fry your amp). So, the answer to your question is still NO...your amp is even worst at driving this sub adequately...let alone another one on top of that.

Short answer, just take el duderino's advice and get a proper system if you want a clean system. Else, just leave everything as they are if you're happy with your current set-up!

·
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
el_duderino said:
Another person who wants free advice and doesn't like how it looks. You GOT a technical answer - I guess you just didn't understand it so you internalized it for some reason. If I had simply answered "No", you would have complained about that, too - even though that was the "technical" answer to your original question.

Try posting that system on bimmerforums and see what THEY say :)

Try not taking things personally and just reading the words.

As the cheapest - i.e., the lowest capability - amplifier in the Alpine line, it is probably about powerful enough to run a single sub - especially in a vehicle like yours where it's hard to get sub output into the passenger compartment.

So if you are wanting to add a second sub of the same type, and that sub is 4 ohms, that amp that you showed would be incapable of delivering maximum rated power into two 4 ohm voice coil woofers. WHen you bridge an amp into 4 ohms, you get its max power usually. With two 4 ohm woofers, you can't GET the load to 4 ohms, and you can't get enough power.

So IF you want louder bass , there are better ways to get it.
Thanks for the response:thumbup: , that makes a lot more sense than the first. If you couldn't tell I'm not exactly an audio expert. I'm sure you know it's hard not to take things to heart sometimes. Looks like it's time for a new amp. I'll check out the ones you mentioned in the first post. Thanks also DKL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.