BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys ,
does anyone have any knowledge about this , can i jump start my e39( 2002 5 series) using my F15 ( x5 2016)
e39 is sitting in garage for almost 4 months due to covid haven't driven.

Battery seems out of charge, I checked with my service guy he said don't do it ?
quite confused :O
can any suggest the reason why i cant.
Please any suggestions .

Thanks

· Registered
2,084 Posts
Humm, wonder why the service guy said that. Personally, it wouldn't bother me, as I have both E39 & F15. I'd hook up both 1st to under hood terminals & grounds, then turn on the F15 & let it run for a while, which should charge the E39 battery some before I'd try to start the E39. Just my opinion, some may say different. FYI, I keep my E39 on a trickle charger so that doesn't happen. Letting a battery to go dead can ruin that battery. Also, I have an old separate 6 amp charger to use rather than the X5. Let's see what others say.

· Registered
2,084 Posts
Here's what BMW says:
12 00 ...Notes/information on start assistance (jump starting)
Do not start the engine with help of starting sprays.

Preparation:

Conform with the following when starting the engine with a jump starting cable.

• Ensure that the jump starting cable wires are of appropriate cross-section size.
  • Only use fuse-protected jump starting cables.
  • Check whether the current-supplying battery has 12 V voltage.
  • If the engine is started from the battery of another vehicle, ensure that there is no contact between the bodies of both vehicles.
Important!
Never touch electrically live ignition system components: high voltage - danger of injury!

If the battery in the vehicle supplying power is weak, start the engine of this vehicle and let it run at idling speed.

Operation:

It is essential to conform to the procedures so as to avoid injury to persons or damage to parts.

• Automatic transmission: select drive position ”P”, apply parking brake.
  • Manual transmission: move gear lever to neutral position, apply parking brake.
  • Ensure that the jump leads cannot get caught in rotating parts, e.g. fan.
  • First connect both positive poles of the batteries with one jump starting cable (red).
  • Use the battery positive terminal in the engine compartment for vehicles with the battery in the luggage compartment.
  • Then use the second jump starting cable (black) to connect the negative post of the current-supplying battery with the earth/ground point (not the negative pole or the body) of the vehicle to be started.
Important!
Do not connect the second jump starting cable (black) with the negative pole of the battery in the vehicle to be started. Produced gas could be ignited by sparks.

Risk of explosion!

After the engine of the vehicle to be started has fired, first disconnect the jump starting cable between the negative pole and the earth/ground point. Then remove the starting cable from the positive poles.

AND....
Jump start terminal point
The vehicle battery is installed in a relatively crash-safe area (e.g. luggage compartment). Due to the installation position, it is difficult or not possible to charge the vehicle battery or jump-start the vehicle without a special device. This is why a jump start terminal point has been provided. The jump start terminal point is installed in an easily accessible position in the engine compartment. As a result, it is possible to charge the vehicle battery or jump-start the vehicle without a special device.
Note!
The installation location of the jump start terminal point depends on the vehicle. The correct installation location can be called up via the hotspot on the diagnosis wiring diagram!
Note!
Charge the vehicle battery via the jump start terminal points only!
If the vehicle battery is charged while it is still installed, it must be charged using the jump start terminal points. On vehicles with an intelligent battery sensor, only then can you be sure that the charging procedure is correctly detected by the vehicle electronics. If the vehicle battery is charged directly at the battery terminals, this could lead to a misinterpretation of the battery condition and even unwanted Check Control messages or fault memory entries.
Functional description
The positive battery cable runs from the vehicle battery to the jump start terminal point.

Depending on the series and motorisation, the jump start terminal point supplies the connected consumers with terminal 30 via a protected line.

The following graphic shows an example jump start terminal point.

ItemExplanationItemExplanation
1Jump start terminal point2Fuse
3Attachment point for the consumers (e.g. starter motor, alternator)4Attachment point of the positive battery cable
5Conductive panel6Positive connection for battery charger or jump-start
Structure and inner electrical connection
The jump start terminal point is designed as a conductive panel. The panel made from a copper alloy. Depending on the series and motorisation, a fuse is installed at the attachment point for the consumers.

ItemExplanation
1Jump start terminal point
2Fuse (installation dependent on series and motorisation)
3Connection for battery charger or starting aid
Pin assignments

PinExplanation
Terminal 30Voltage supply from the vehicle battery
USupply voltage for connected consumers
Diagnosis instructions
Function check of the component

A function check of the jump start terminal point using the diagnosis system is not possible.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Humm, wonder why the service guy said that. Personally, it wouldn't bother me, as I have both E39 & F15. I'd hook up both 1st to under hood terminals & grounds, then turn on the F15 & let it run for a while, which should charge the E39 battery some before I'd try to start the E39. Just my opinion, some may say different. FYI, I keep my E39 on a trickle charger so that doesn't happen. Letting a battery to go dead can ruin that battery. Also, I have an old separate 6 amp charger to use rather than the X5. Let's see what others say.
Hi Rav Thanks for reply, so did you ever jump from car to car or you did it from 6 amp charger as you mentioned in the end?
much appreciated

· Registered
2,084 Posts
Hi Rav Thanks for reply, so did you ever jump from car to car or you did it from 6 amp charger as you mentioned in the end?
much appreciated
I have NOT personally jump either car off, the E39 or F15. However, I have used the E39 540i to jump start a friend's car at church. Just be sure to use the POS "+" & Neg "-" under hood terminal points like in the above post. Never try it from the battery posts. Battery's can give off hydrogen gas which is highly flammable, like your chemistry class experiment. Any spark & the battery could possible explode. NOT GOOD! If your E39's battery is really dead dead, a charger is better to try to get it back up to 12.7v than jumping. in my opinion. Our alternators are typically made to "restore" the volts than the battery used. They really work hard to bring a dead battery back up. Can be done when needed I guess but I still like to use a charger.

FYI, I use these same under hood terminals when using my chargers.

· Glfbggy
1,137 Posts
much appreciated
While I have not used an f15 to jump an e39, I did jump our former e39 with both our Ford Explorer of the time and a jump pack. As far as I am concerned you can jump start any car with another car as long as you follow safety precautions already described.

For clarity, the e39 was jumped using the engine bay posts on both occasions.

May be the tech is concerned about electronics of the cars. Those should be protected if you take the noted precautions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.