BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Can I drive with Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor

986 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  trkgmssy
Hey everyone, I own a 320i 2.2L M54 I believe I have a bad Camshaft position sensor, when I checked the symptoms online all of them fits perfectly to my car. Also with a scan I got Camshaft position signal intake, I am not sure why it says "signal" instead of sensor.

I already found the part but until the part arrives I have to drive to my shop 250km (150mil),
On autobahn with a fixed speed of 100-120km car runs without problem, stalled a few time only when the car is slow and rpm is too low inside the city. Almost all the way, I will be driving on the autobahn.
My question is, is it possible to drive or are there any temporary solutions ?
Like unplugging MAF pulls back the timing, would it help ?

Lg
Motor vehicle Window Road surface Asphalt Font
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Is the code popping up constantly or only intermittently? I had a bad sensor, but I only got the code occasionally (with a couple stalls but only at idle). I think I read that when the car senses a camshaft problem, it puts the car into somewhat of a limp mode, so I think it may automatically make it safe for the car when it senses a camshaft problem. I would say it's fine, but I am not sure. Luckily it is pretty easy to install.
Reactions: trkgmssy
if it goes, youll end up with no start/rough idle issues.
The problem occurs only time to time, after scanning the code, learning what the problem is and clearing, I havent checked it again. I really need to do the trip actually, I just wondered if there is a way to idk maybe clean the sensor or remove MAF, else i will just need to trust to car lol thank u
Is the code popping up constantly or only intermittently? I had a bad sensor, but I only got the code occasionally (with a couple stalls but only at idle). I think I read that when the car senses a camshaft problem, it puts the car into somewhat of a limp mode, so I think it may automatically make it safe for the car when it senses a camshaft problem. I would say it's fine, but I am not sure. Luckily it is pretty easy to install.
It doesnt happen all the time so i feel like problem isnt that bad, I have full power smooth idle some days and from no where stalls twice a week maybe. So i really want to do this trip so i can change the part at home.
if it goes, youll end up with no start/rough idle issues.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts