BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was quoted a 57% residual for 10K miles a year for a 440i xdrive...i was wondering if i should wait a couple of months for any change in residuals or if there wont be much of a change? I know there are people here with prior experience.

Thanks guys, this forum is really helpful...getting close to joining this great BMW family.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I was quoted a 57% residual for 10K miles a year for a 440i xdrive...i was wondering if i should wait a couple of months for any change in residuals or if there wont be much of a change? I know there are people here with prior experience.

Thanks guys, this forum is really helpful...getting close to joining this great BMW family.
Yes they will definitely change, but if you mean "will they be 66% like the 2016s are right now", that is much more of a crap shoot.

BMW uses inflated residuals to move product they are trying to clear out. The residuals on the 2016s are inflated right now, because BMW wants to sell those.

When they clear out the number of 2016s they want to, the residuals on the 2017s will probably change, but We dont know if they (2017 residuals) will rise to the level of 2016 residuals now.

All we can do is guess. If you can wait, the best chance at having higher residuals for the 2017s would be nov / december time frame.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Can you order a 2017 car now and hope than when it arrives the residual will be better?

If it takes 8 weeks - can you order last week of October and plan to get the residual for December or does it get locked in upon order? What is the BMW process to order a new car for leasing? Can you get your deposit back if you change your mind before delivery? Porsche works that way.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Can you order a 2017 car now and hope than when it arrives the residual will be better?

If it takes 8 weeks - can you order last week of October and plan to get the residual for December or does it get locked in upon order? What is the BMW process to order a new car for leasing? Can you get your deposit back if you change your mind before delivery? Porsche works that way.

Thanks.
The deposit rules are state specific, but you list your location in california. in california, all deposits have to be refunded (unless you expressly agree to an un refundable deposit via signing something, I think.... not even sure if that is enforcable either)

If you get a credit app now and order now, you get to choose programs between your order and what is in place at delivery time, but you have to take the entire package of one or the other.

You cant mix this months residual with, say a 1500 cash back offer that might be available on pickup with lower residual.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The deposit rules are state specific, but you list your location in california. in california, all deposits have to be refunded (unless you expressly agree to an un refundable deposit via signing something, I think.... not even sure if that is enforcable either)

If you get a credit app now and order now, you get to choose programs between your order and what is in place at delivery time, but you have to take the entire package of one or the other.

You cant mix this months residual with, say a 1500 cash back offer that might be available on pickup with lower residual.
Thanks very much. The 2017 X5 40e residuals are really low (57%) this month and there is zero lease allowance. Compare this to the 2016's (60% and $3500) and it's a huge difference in total lease cost between the two years (~$6K). I count almost 1100 2016 X5 40e's on Cars.com so it might a while before they adjust the 2017 numbers. That said I'd go with a 2016 if it had the options I want but finding ACC and Luxury light colored seats with a grey exterior is really limiting me and I don't want to compromise. They few compromise cars I did find were not local and the dealers were not really dealing... 6.4% discount up to 9% on fully loaded $85K car. I think I'll wait and hope to see something before the end of the year. Maybe order a car in October (and cross fingers) as it looks cheaper now with the X-line option included although other options have increased slightly.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Thanks very much. The 2017 X5 40e residuals are really low (57%) this month and there is zero lease allowance. Compare this to the 2016's (60% and $3500) and it's a huge difference in total lease cost between the two years (~$6K). I count almost 1100 2016 X5 40e's on Cars.com so it might a while before they adjust the 2017 numbers. That said I'd go with a 2016 if it had the options I want but finding ACC and Luxury light colored seats with a grey exterior is really limiting me and I don't want to compromise. They few compromise cars I did find were not local and the dealers were not really dealing... 6.4% discount up to 9% on fully loaded $85K car. I think I'll wait and hope to see something before the end of the year. Maybe order a car in October (and cross fingers) as it looks cheaper now with the X-line option included although other options have increased slightly.

Thanks again for your help.
Its a little harder to get a deal on an X5 right now, because those are popular... except for 40e's which are not quite as popular. Its the ACC with stop n go and the light color interior that is probably hurting you.

I think its only the 40e that has that 3500 lease credit, so yeah it is a pretty huge hit financially... but a word on the residual. In january, the RV on X5s was either 57 or 58% (I cant remember which one it was when I got my wifes X5 in jan) so the RV on the 2017 is not "bad" per se... they just have the 2016s cranked way up to move them. Great time to buy a 2016 unless you are thinking of buying it out at the end of the lease... the RV on it would be so out of whack you will have to give it back, no matter what you want to do, unless BMW gives the dealer an extra special deal to keep it.. and I do mean EXTRA special.

If you choose to order in October, make sure you submit a credit app then so you get a lock, an can then choose between october and whenever your car is delivered. Remember, X5s dont take as long as cars coming from Germany.

Will likely be 4-6 weeks, not 2-3 months... and could come faster than 4 weeks if your dealer has an allocation in 112 status when you order and just modifies it.

Make sure to work with your dealer on your desired outcome receiving date.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Its a little harder to get a deal on an X5 right now, because those are popular... except for 40e's which are not quite as popular. Its the ACC with stop n go and the light color interior that is probably hurting you.

I think its only the 40e that has that 3500 lease credit, so yeah it is a pretty huge hit financially... but a word on the residual. In january, the RV on X5s was either 57 or 58% (I cant remember which one it was when I got my wifes X5 in jan) so the RV on the 2017 is not "bad" per se... they just have the 2016s cranked way up to move them. Great time to buy a 2016 unless you are thinking of buying it out at the end of the lease... the RV on it would be so out of whack you will have to give it back, no matter what you want to do, unless BMW gives the dealer an extra special deal to keep it.. and I do mean EXTRA special.

If you choose to order in October, make sure you submit a credit app then so you get a lock, an can then choose between october and whenever your car is delivered. Remember, X5s dont take as long as cars coming from Germany.

Will likely be 4-6 weeks, not 2-3 months... and could come faster than 4 weeks if your dealer has an allocation in 112 status when you order and just modifies it.

Make sure to work with your dealer on your desired outcome receiving date.
Thanks for the Residual data points.

I'd be happy with just the lease credit and 57% residual. The credit is only available on the 40e because it's a tax rebate for plug-ins based on the battery size. If you purchase the 40e you get approx $4600 back on your taxes (if eligible). So BMW is giving only $3500 of that on a lease is a bit sly - they are keeping the remaining $$ for themselves. I am hearing they are currently giving nothing back on the 2017 i3's which is even more of a joke. They have to clear those 2016 models it seems as the new bigger battery will give a much longer range.

Let's see how long the current #'s will last. With over 1000 cars sitting on lots I assume better deals are coming. I'm new to BMW so I have no idea if 1000 cars is a large amount.

Thanks for the deposit info. I'm only familiar with Porsche in that regard. I ordered a custom Macan Turbo 20 months ago and it took almost 3 months to get here. Sat at the port for weeks in Germany with no explanation why. I ended up cancelling the order (car was too small) however and did receive my entire $2500 deposit back. After looking at the depreciation curve on that car, I'm glad I did cancel - my $92K order is now worth about $63K - 20 months and $30 (plus tax) deprecation!!

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Thanks for the Residual data points.

I'd be happy with just the lease credit and 57% residual. The credit is only available on the 40e because it's a tax rebate for plug-ins based on the battery size. If you purchase the 40e you get approx $4600 back on your taxes (if eligible). So BMW is giving only $3500 of that on a lease is a bit sly - they are keeping the remaining $$ for themselves. I am hearing they are currently giving nothing back on the 2017 i3's which is even more of a joke. They have to clear those 2016 models it seems as the new bigger battery will give a much longer range.

Let's see how long the current #'s will last. With over 1000 cars sitting on lots I assume better deals are coming. I'm new to BMW so I have no idea if 1000 cars is a large amount.

Thanks for the deposit info. I'm only familiar with Porsche in that regard. I ordered a custom Macan Turbo 20 months ago and it took almost 3 months to get here. Sat at the port for weeks in Germany with no explanation why. I ended up cancelling the order (car was too small) however and did receive my entire $2500 deposit back. After looking at the depreciation curve on that car, I'm glad I did cancel - my $92K order is now worth about $63K - 20 months and $30 (plus tax) deprecation!!
if you order a car made in germany its 2-3 months... if its made in south africa, i think its 3+ months.... but the X's are made here in the good ole USA (south carolina), so obviously dont get on a boat to get to us here in the US. For reference, I have an X5 on order right now (2016). Order was placed on July 3rd (dealer modified one of his allocations). The car is already built, AND on its way to the VPC in Oxnard CA. It supposed to get to the VPC on August 5th, and to the Dealer on the 8th... so just over 4 weeks from placement of order to on the dealers lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts