BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all, I am new to this site and just bought a 2003 530i. I 100% love the car but the gas milage to bad!!!! Getting about 12.8 l/100k

It costs about 75 to fill and getting about 500 to 650 k per tank.

My question is.. is there something a dealer can do to the computer inside the car to save on gas, maybe reduce horsepower??? I'm not sure but friend say there are chips ect.....

Please help.

:mad:

·
Registered
720 Posts
You should get that checked out - the car is not making proper gas mileage. I would suggest changing the air filter, as well as any if not all fluids. If that doesn't help the gas mileage, take it to the dealer.

In general, Air intakes & superchargers will increase gas mileage, as will running higher octane gas. It may also have to do with your driving style and location.

Good luck!
JL

P.S. Take the dead bodies out of your trunk, if applicable ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply... I use 91 octane Drive Were Slow.... I will replace the air filter.
But I thouoht 12.8 l per 100K was normal??? NOT??

·
Registered
720 Posts
Wait... I thought you were saying you were getting 12.8MPG... My apologies
JL

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Jlevi SW said:
... It may also have to do with your driving style and location.
I suspect that is the primary issue.

His "mileage" (kilometerage?) of 12.8 translates to 18mpg or so and that is typical for mixed city/highway for a 540, but fairly poor for a 530. However, if he is juicing it at every opportunity or is doing only city driving, that is what he will get.

Try driving easy for one tank and see what the change is. My 540 gets 25mpg (10l/100km) on the freeway, 13mpg for city-only, and 16-17 for mixed. All numbers get significantly worse if I am doing my boy-racer impression.

The 530 fuel economy is *typically* about 25% better than the 540.

Bill

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay thanks for the tips BUT my question is .... can the dealer with this computer alter ANYTHING inside the cars computer ie horsepower torque, ti increase milage???

·
Registered
286 Posts
Around town (Suburban stop-n-go) I get about 16.5-17.5 MPG. With my 530i Automatic.

On the Highway I get 28-30 MPG.

Overall, I average 22 MPG.

If I am using the 10% Ethanol blend gas that is mandated in NY and other Smog areas my milage is about 10-15% lower than when I travel to areas where I can fill-up with 100% Gasoline.

·
Registered
255 Posts
leafs11cups said:
okay thanks for the tips BUT my question is .... can the dealer with this computer alter ANYTHING inside the cars computer ie horsepower torque, ti increase milage???
To answer your question: No

The engine computer is set from the factory. These engines are about as efficient as they get in terms of horsepower vs. fuel economy. To illustrate the efficiency let me mention this: Most people that get chips, do it to get more performance, but even the best tuners (Dinan, Conforti) only manage to get 5-10 hp out of these engines - that only about 5% or less.

Your car seems on the low end of things, but not knowing how you drive it's hard to tell. As others have said, i'd check the airfilter etc.. For comparison your 12.8 l/km is about 19mpg and my 2000 528iT gets 20.6 mpg right now with ac on all the time and lead footing it. If i take it a bit easier i get 23 mpg mix and 29mpg highway (@75-85 mph).

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
leafs11cups said:
You can do it yourself. It is called, "don't push down on the gas pedal as much". This method works very well. I can increase my mileage by 10-20% or decrease it by 50% merely by changing my driving behavior.

Bill

·
Jedi Master
853 Posts
leafs11cups said:

It costs about 75 to fill and getting about 500 to 650 k per tank.
:mad:
I'm getting about 550km between fills - 70% highway, so if you're getting up to 650km, then it's not bad. Perhaps it's a relative thing, say if you've just stepped out of a Honda.

·
I want an E46!
469 Posts
Well here is my GAS research for you all. I did run 87 for two weeks so here are the results. I ran the car like I would usually run, and drove the same roads.

Shell 87
Cost to Fill tank: $58
Total Miles: 412
Average MPG: 22.8

KM: 663.32
l/100km: 10.316706140350877

-------------
Chevron 91
Cost to Fill tank: $63
Total Miles: 450
Average MPG: 25

In KM: 724.5
l/100km: 9.408836

Remember I am running an old school 528i I-6 RWD. I don't believe it is the car per say that is the problem. I think it is usually the driver with a heavy foot. BUT! Are you constantly driving in traffic? Is it more highway, street, neighborhood? Are you a heavy foot? If you can count more than 5 are over 3k RPM and not even past 3rd gear then YOU are the error for having a low efficency.

Running this experiement: I regret ever buying 87. Hell anything lower than 91.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got back from a long highway trip with my 528iT and my best mileage with a light foot was 7.9 l per 100k. My worst mileage was a bit over 9 l per 100k and my average was 8.6. Mind you the mileage drops like a stone in the city especially with lots of stop and start driving. Try putting an egg between your foot and the pedal and see if the mileage improves.

Bix

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Factory can't do anything about altering the fuel/air mixture. And I'm warning you to stay away from those cheap "ECU upgrades" you find on eBay or stuff of that nature since they don't work and can screw up the car faster than you can say "check engine light's on again". Even the good companies like Dinan can't seem to make massive increases with their software, so I'll just chime in and say

- its the air filter
- you need a tuneup maybe, take it to the dealer for a check?
- check tire pressure, get rid of excess weight inside the car
- use A/C on the hwy........windows down increases drag
- stop being a leadfoot. Keep revs as low as you can, drive in the highest gear possible at a given speed.

Or maybe it's just you're driving in lots of city traffic. All those tips will help, but sometimes traffic is just.......well.....traffic. I manage around 20mpg in my X3 in mostly city driving, up to 27mpg with highway driving.

·
Registered
637 Posts
im currently getting 10.8mpg in the city!:cry: every fluid is fresh, new plugs, cai filter is clean, even hooked it up to the dis machine at work to read the fault memory and there is nothing wrong with the car that i can see, aside from a noisy rr wheel bearing. on the highway i get 25mpg plus, but the city, which is the majority of my driving is terrible! i do have a lead foot but 10.8:( !! it has been very hot and humid around here for the last week, 100*'s and high humidity....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts