Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems with the convertible top on my 1999 M-Roadster. I've had it successfully repaired by my mechanic twice over the last 18 months. Within a few months of both repairs another component in the system broke down and the top quit working. On the most recent occasion, I needed to lower the top due to a pending rainstorm and had to force the top down against the resistance of the hydraulic system. I have since raised and lowered the top manually one time in each direction.

I have reached the point where I prefer to raise and lower the top manually rather than paying my mechanic to chase down worn out relays and switches. I have two questions.

Did I damage the system when I opened and closed the top manually?

Is there a way to override the hydraulic system so I can open and close it manually while leaving the components in place if I change my mind in the future?

Thank you for considering my questions and I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,728 Posts
The pump is behind the driver in the trunk. You will need to remove the trunk liner on the left side. Turn the "T" handle on the pump to disengage it and make it easier to raise and lower.

·
Registered
162 Posts
can someone confirm where the "t" handle is? and which way to turn it. i was able to see the "t" handle below the pump but it wouldn't turn and i didn't want to force it unless i'm sure that's the t handle and know which way to turn it. thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts