BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 745i.
I only have one key fob left.
Needless to say I'm looking for a less expensive alternative to buying one at the dealership. :mad:

If I were to ket another key fob froma junk yard or used online somewhere can I reprogram it to work for my car??

Would I need to get a key fob specifically from a 745i? Does it have to be a 2002??
Or can I use one from 3 series or 5 series or anything else???

Thanks in advance.....I've been searching for an answer to this one for a couple of dauys now with no luck. :dunno:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2002 745i.
I only have one key fob left.
Needless to say I'm looking for a less expensive alternative to buying one at the dealership. :mad:

If I were to ket another key fob froma junk yard or used online somewhere can I reprogram it to work for my car??

Would I need to get a key fob specifically from a 745i? Does it have to be a 2002??
Or can I use one from 3 series or 5 series or anything else???

Thanks in advance.....I've been searching for an answer to this one for a couple of dauys now with no luck. :dunno:
Yes, it can be DIY. Any blank E65/E66 keys would work. See this thread for instructions:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1626027

·
Little Odessa
1,275 Posts
Yes you can program new key fob if memory on it NEW and you have a programmer, but you can not reprogram it due to memory chip inside

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
i was told several times by dealer (and others) key fobs were VIN specific. I have yet to see anyone on this board reprogram a new key fob off ebay successfully. until then, i say NO, you can't

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. If I can remember to call during the day I'm pushing this question to the dealer next.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts