BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Can I save on gas mileage? Computer chip?? 2003 530i

4874 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Rob325_in_AZ
Hi to all, I am new to this site and just bought a 2003 530i. I 100% love the car but the gas milage to bad!!!! Getting about 12.8 l/100k

It costs about 75 to fill and getting about 500 to 650 k per tank.

My question is.. is there something a dealer can do to the computer inside the car to save on gas, maybe reduce horsepower??? I'm not sure but friend say there are chips ect.....

Please help.

:mad:
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
I can't imagine anyone manufacturing a chip that would reduce horsepower :confused:

I don't think it would improve your gas mileage even if you could reduce HP. You would just end up stomping on it more to try to get the same performance, and probably end up worse. :dunno:

I wouldn't let anyone muck with it anyhow.

One small, easy tip that I always recommend is to be anal about checking the air in your tires. I find that keeping mine on the high side helps improve my gas mileage.
I'll second that. Any driving activity that reduces brake dust will also improve mileage :D
BayAreaBMWFan said:
You are welcome. Another thing to try is to try to coast to a stop instead of braking at the end. If you see red, ease of the pedal and your car will gradually lose speed.

Whenever you try these things, make sure you are not being tailgated by an aggressive driver to prevent rear-ends. If you are, step down and leave him in the dust :bigpimp:. You can always coast on the next red light!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.