BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Can I tighten my drivers side mirror? And rattling gas door..

9810 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  booshwa
I have a 2004 and I just got a sub put in yesterday. However, only my drivers side mirror rattles and shakes, can I tighten it somehow? And anyone know what to do about a rattling gas door?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Don't know of a quick fix for the mirror, but there's a simple fix for the gas door rattle. Open the gas door and you will see 2 plastic inserts hanging on the inside of the door (one to hold the gas cap - green, I think and the other for locking the door) - the "play" of these inserts in their seats is what's causing the rattle. My solution was to carefully slide out those plastic inserts and use some electrical tape to wrap around them once and "re-seat" them. That's all there is to it. I'm surprised that this problem still hasn't been addressed by BMW, especially on those with the DSP system, where the sub is right next to the gas door.
Thanks I'll try tomorrow. I hope I get a solution for the mirror as well.
My mirror shakes like crazy. And I still have the DSP subs :(

I'm going to try that gas tank fix. I hate the rattling and sometimes it makes me wish I still had my LS400.
The electric tap works. I wish someone knew something about the mirrors...
I've found this solution for the shaking driver's side mirror but it requires that you remove the mirror cover and mirror glass. Once you have the cover and glass removed, use a zip tie and tie the base of the mirror (where the glass latches into) to the mirror housing. Make sure you have adjusted the mirror position to your liking prior to tying the zip tie.

This will eliminate the shaking of the mirror glass but you will have limited horizontal moving of the mirror (left to right - right to left). This solution worked well in my case because I was the only driver and I didn't have to adjust the mirror too often.

Hope this helps.
benathon said:
I have a 2004 and I just got a sub put in yesterday. However, only my drivers side mirror rattles and shakes, can I tighten it somehow? And anyone know what to do about a rattling gas door?
Hey thanks, but I am not the only person that drives the car and I also sit differently if I have someone behind me. Do you have instructions on how to remove the mirror and such? There might be something there I can tighten. Because the passenger doesn't move at all.
dkl - great advice on the electrical tape on the gas door rattle. i can't believe i never thought of this? out of curiousity, y are there 2 plastic things in the gas door. i know one is for sitting the gas cap in when fueling up, but y the other 1?
The other one is for a cylinder to through and lock the gas filler door when you lock your car. Noticed that you can't open your gas filler door unless you have at least one (driver's) door unlocked.
broknlgs24 said:
dkl - great advice on the electrical tape on the gas door rattle. i can't believe i never thought of this? out of curiousity, y are there 2 plastic things in the gas door. i know one is for sitting the gas cap in when fueling up, but y the other 1?
damn, just one other thing i never knew. i will have to check that out for sure. thanks again! :thumbup:
dkl said:
The other one is for a cylinder to through and lock the gas filler door when you lock your car. Noticed that you can't open your gas filler door unless you have at least one (driver's) door unlocked.
anyone have a problem with the gas door flapping open and closed from bass. mine opens about an inch on songs with heavy bass, and sounds terrible when it slams closed
you can tighten the mirror

I had a similar problem with my driver side mirror - underneath the merror you should see a cap that you can pry off. There were two star drive screws in there on my '01. I tightened them down and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Hope this helped, I know it's been a while since the post.
Thanks James...the wife has the shaking mirror as well, popped the cap off (broke it a bit, so I'm gluing it now) and found four torque screws that were loose (2005 model). The housing is rock solid now, hopefully this solves the moving mirror while you drive syndrome!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.