BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time to change tires out and a friend has a set of Michelin pilot sport ps2 but,they are 245/40-18 & 275/35-18 and I currently have 235/40-18 & 265/35-18 on my car.A deal could be had if they will fit and I do not know if they will and so I am asking if anyone has an answer.Thanks in advance and Hello this is the first time I have posted but, I have been watching for quite awhile and appreciate the information I have gathered from the masses....

· Registered
329 Posts
You should be fine. I have 245/35 19 and 275/30 19 on my 540iA sport. I don't have any rubbing. Some apparently do with those sizes though. I'm gonna say you'd be ok.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
samps said:
You should be fine. I have 245/35 19 and 275/30 19 on my 540iA sport. I don't have any rubbing. Some apparently do with those sizes though. I'm gonna say you'd be ok.
With people in the back in dips you will get rubbing with 275's unless you do fender work, or at least I did.

· Premium Member
8,152 Posts
The consensus of threads I have read is that the 275 is a 50/50 proposition as to whether you might end up with rubbing. The 265 is the safer bet, and what BMW used on the M-Sports and M-Executive 540's that came with 18" wheels.

· Registered
329 Posts
dagoo98 said:
With people in the back in dips you will get rubbing with 275's unless you do fender work, or at least I did.
When I got my wheels I also checked this. The shop owner said that my fenders were rolled more than other 540's he had seen. Mine is Canadian so it came with all of the M-Tech bumpers and what not. I don't know if this has anything to do with the fenders. Also, maybe the offset of my wheels are a little less than others.

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies...

I will be ordering the 235/265 tire combination.The safer bet seems to make sense and I do not want to create a problem to save a few bucks...Besides I know this guy by the name of Murphy all too well.......

· Premium Member
8,152 Posts
yadayadayada said:
I will be ordering the 235/265 tire combination.The safer bet seems to make sense and I do not want to create a problem to save a few bucks...Besides I know this guy by the name of Murphy all too well.......
Yup, met him a few too many times....so I run conservative that way too... ;)

· Registered
149 Posts
yadayadayada said:
It is time to change tires out and a friend has a set of Michelin pilot sport ps2 but,they are 245/40-18 & 275/35-18 and I currently have 235/40-18 & 265/35-18 on my car.A deal could be had if they will fit and I do not know if they will and so I am asking if anyone has an answer.
Those are the OE sizes for the E39 M5.

So, you'll be okay (or at least as okay as a production M5, there's a couple folks out there who seem to have had rubbing problems) if:

a) Your wheels (specifically the rears) have offset similar to or greater than the M5 wheels, and

b) You roll the rear fender lips as the M5 had, and

c) You install the M5 rear fender liners (they're cheap and not difficult to install.)

· Brevity= the soul of wit
15,528 Posts
Good choice- I had 275's on my 2000 540i6 and they rubbed. I had already rolled the fenders and installed M5 liners. I rolled them some MORE near the front bottom and it was better, but still not gone in dips or with people in the back seat. I am resolved that I would need to push the fenders out to get no rubbing on 275's.

So, the last set I bought were 265's. No rubbing. The look is not as aggressive as it doesn't protrude from the wheel well as far. I like the peace of mind that I'm not peeling rubber off my tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.