BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So i bought a cheap copy of BMW Key from Ebay for my BMW e39 520i from 1997.

I reprogrammed and cut the key and the car starts with not problems.

But the Problem is I can not programm it to lock and unlock doors.

I checked the Fuse in the Trunk, Glovebox and one of them was busted so i replaced it but still nothing.

I am using the AK90+Program.

Hoping to see some helpful answers ;)
Wood Gas Fixture Audio equipment Electric blue
Gas Electronic device Cable Wood Audio equipment
Wood Toy Font Electric blue Hardwood
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Computer hardware
Circuit component Font Material property Watch Electric blue

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
327 Posts
I don’t think the diamond key came out until ‘03? Maybe there’s a workaround though, probably a communications/signal type change.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You need to do the sync procedure where you have all the doors closed, put the key in and turn the car not the engine on, pull the key out and press unlock three times while holding lock (I might have lock and unlocked swapped). full procedure on google

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to do the sync procedure where you have all the doors closed, put the key in and turn the car not the engine on, pull the key out and press unlock three times while holding lock (I might have lock and unlocked swapped). full procedure on google
I already did that procedure many times and nothing ;/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Na, My car is a 2000, I got a diamond key. If I am not mistaken from what I have read, 09/99 is when BMW changed to a diamond key for the E39 models.
So you guys think that Diamond Key wont work on mine? I have to get the older version with buttons ?

Attachments

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,756 Posts
If you can sync the original key to lock/unlock then the problem is with the new key.
Are you sure it uses the correct frequency?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you can sync the original key to lock/unlock then the problem is with the new key.
Are you sure it uses the correct frequency?
My original BMW E39 Key does not have buttons.

I can unlock it through the door lock or the trunk.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
My original BMW E39 Key does not have buttons.

I can unlock it through the door lock or the trunk.
So you never had a square battery operated key with the buttons it sounds like to me. Make things easy on yourself and get the correct square key with a battery you can change out easily. Quite frankly, I wish my diamond keys were easy to change the battery without having to cut it open. Never have had to do that so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you never had a square battery operated key with the buttons it sounds like to me. Make things easy on yourself and get the correct square key with a battery you can change out easily. Quite frankly, I wish my diamond keys were easy to change the battery without having to cut it open. Never have had to do that so far.
But what so interesting is about the Diamond key its actually working on the locks and ignition. Maybe I should get another EWS modul from Facelift E39s?

·
6,756 Posts
Why would you want to swap out the EWS module? You said the key starts the engine so that part is working perfectly!

Did you buy the correct frequency key for your car?

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Some questions for the OP…if your keys are starting the car…then you don’t have an EWS problem. The remote keys operate THREE entirely separate features:
  • EWS- immobilizing system (prevent the engine from starting if the key/ews module/DME module do NOT have the same encrypted ISN (individual serial number)
  • DWA - the anti-theft alarm siren system
  • FZV/FBZV - central locking system with remote lock/unlock

I also noticed that you’re not in North America…so you may not even have DWA. Does your rear view mirror have the red clown nose (status ) LED? If not, then you don’t have a siren or tilt sensor or interior motion sensor.

And if you do have DWA…did you buy the correct key that operates on the same frequency as your car? In North America…the remote key’s DWA/FZV operates on the 315 MHz radio frequency…in Europe, the remotes operate on the 433 MHz radio frequency…did you buy the correct type of key?

Also, since you have a 1997…how are you going to keep the “diamond” shaped remote key charged? Your ring antenna doesn’t have the capability to keep the battery charged in the diamond shaped key (Or did I miss where you have rigged the remote with a replaceable battery?)

EWS communicates over a 125 KHz radio frequency…and is powered by induction. The key does NOT need the battery inside of it to start the car. The DME/EWS control module/KEY/Ring Antenna all work together to start the car (or prevent it from starting if one of the components is not sharing the same ISN).

The DWA & FBZV systems communicate over the 315 MHz or 433 MHz radio frequency and take a totally different path. They both are under the control of the GM module. The remote lock/unlock & arm/disarm features start by sending an RF signal out and is picked up by the antenna embedded in the rear windshield. The signal then is sent to amps/receivers in the C pillars…then on up to the GM where it sends a signal over the car’s BUS system to lock/unlock & arm/disarm the vehicle.

Font Rectangle Parallel Diagram Handwriting

Using the driver’s door lock cylinder and trunk lock cylinder is even different. You aren’t using the remote function of the key by way of an radio frequency signal. The lock cylinders are connected by way of the car’s communication bus from the cylinder over the P-bus where the GM will then send the signal to lock/unlock and arm/disarm.

So don ‘t conflate all the different things that are going on with the remote key into one simple little pony. There are a lot of things and different systems being utilized.

Hope this helps with some of the reason some things you do are working and some aren’t :)

Communication bus for the low & high cluster (high has the I-bus)

Product Font Parallel Technology Rectangle

Font Rectangle Parallel Schematic Handwriting

·
Under the lift arms
13,263 Posts
Nice one! Quick

Op.. your vin number please... that will allow us to look at what you have specifically

Im leaning to what Quicksilver said... or is at least hinting at.. you might have bought the wrong key,

Although im impressed you where able to get the EWS correct,

·
6,756 Posts
I already mentioned frequency (twice?) but Q brought up another excellent point.

"Also, since you have a 1997…how are you going to keep the “diamond” shaped remote key charged? Your ring antenna doesn’t have the capability to keep the battery charged in the diamond shaped key (Or did I miss where you have rigged the remote with a replaceable battery?)"

Even if the frequency is correct, if the battery hasn't been charged it can't be programmed for the remote lock/unlock functions. And since the car doesn't have the correct hardware OP can't just drive around for 30 minutes to charge it up.
Some people (not me) have reported success using some kind of wireless electric toothbrush charger, perhaps OP can try that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice one! Quick

Op.. your vin number please... that will allow us to look at what you have specifically

Im leaning to what Quicksilver said... or is at least hinting at.. you might have bought the wrong key,

Although im impressed you where able to get the EWS correct,
VIN: WBADD11050BN36437 hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some questions for the OP…if your keys are starting the car…then you don’t have an EWS problem. The remote keys operate THREE entirely separate features:
  • EWS- immobilizing system (prevent the engine from starting if the key/ews module/DME module do NOT have the same encrypted ISN (individual serial number)
  • DWA - the anti-theft alarm siren system
  • FZV/FBZV - central locking system with remote lock/unlock

I also noticed that you’re not in North America…so you may not even have DWA. Does your rear view mirror have the red clown nose (status ) LED? If not, then you don’t have a siren or tilt sensor or interior motion sensor.

And if you do have DWA…did you buy the correct key that operates on the same frequency as your car? In North America…the remote key’s DWA/FZV operates on the 315 MHz radio frequency…in Europe, the remotes operate on the 433 MHz radio frequency…did you buy the correct type of key?

Also, since you have a 1997…how are you going to keep the “diamond” shaped remote key charged? Your ring antenna doesn’t have the capability to keep the battery charged in the diamond shaped key (Or did I miss where you have rigged the remote with a replaceable battery?)

EWS communicates over a 125 KHz radio frequency…and is powered by induction. The key does NOT need the battery inside of it to start the car. The DME/EWS control module/KEY/Ring Antenna all work together to start the car (or prevent it from starting if one of the components is not sharing the same ISN).

The DWA & FBZV systems communicate over the 315 MHz or 433 MHz radio frequency and take a totally different path. They both are under the control of the GM module. The remote lock/unlock & arm/disarm features start by sending an RF signal out and is picked up by the antenna embedded in the rear windshield. The signal then is sent to amps/receivers in the C pillars…then on up to the GM where it sends a signal over the car’s BUS system to lock/unlock & arm/disarm the vehicle.

View attachment 1041467

Using the driver’s door lock cylinder and trunk lock cylinder is even different. You aren’t using the remote function of the key by way of an radio frequency signal. The lock cylinders are connected by way of the car’s communication bus from the cylinder across the I-bus or K-bus…onto the P-bus where the GM will then send the signal to lock/unlock and arm/disarm.

So don ‘t conflate all the different things that are going on with the remote key into one simple little pony. There are a lot of things and different systems being utilized.

Hope this helps with some of the reason some things you do are working and some aren’t :)

Communication bus for the low & high cluster (high has the I-bus)

View attachment 1041462

View attachment 1041463
Hi, my key MHz is 434 soo i think i got the right one
My car does not have DWA System installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I already mentioned frequency (twice?) but Q brought up another excellent point.

"Also, since you have a 1997…how are you going to keep the “diamond” shaped remote key charged? Your ring antenna doesn’t have the capability to keep the battery charged in the diamond shaped key (Or did I miss where you have rigged the remote with a replaceable battery?)"

Even if the frequency is correct, if the battery hasn't been charged it can't be programmed for the remote lock/unlock functions. And since the car doesn't have the correct hardware OP can't just drive around for 30 minutes to charge it up.
Some people (not me) have reported success using some kind of wireless electric toothbrush charger, perhaps OP can try that.
Those Ebay keys are pretty simple to open and to close it again without using glue !
I can always replace a battery in the key, the chip is standing in one place it can not be moved exept you want to.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
VIN: WBADD11050BN36437 hope this helps
Thanks for the VIN...it may have solved the mystery as to why you can't program a remote key to lock/unlock your BMW. Your decoded VIN doesn't have the option code for remote lock/unlock...which means you are probably missing some of the components (like the FZV amp receiver found in the C pillar area...see #1 in the diagram below):
  • S305A - remote control for central locking
Font Screenshot Rectangle Electric blue Number

Font Technology Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number

(#1 in the diagrams below is the amp/trap circuit for radio remote control which is connected to the FZV antenna embedded in the rear windshield...which picks up the RF signal from the remote fob when the buttons are pressed )

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Black Font Slope Map Auto part

Here's an example of a 1997 520i that DOES have the remote control for central locking option code:

Font Screenshot Rectangle Electric blue Number

Font Electric blue Screenshot Number Darkness

·
Wingnut
4,280 Posts
."Also, since you have a 1997…how are you going to keep the “diamond” shaped remote key charged? Your ring antenna doesn’t have the capability to keep the battery charged in the diamond shaped key (Or did I miss where you have rigged the remote with a replaceable battery?)"
the ebay replacement diamond keys have a replaceable battery, they dont use the "fob recharge" function.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts