BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All these transfer case failures due to the tire sizing is off? Seems to be more of a northern issue . Just curious .

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,275 Posts
Snow tires are NOT essentially off-sized. Northern climates may increase the wear rates and maintenance needs of the TC.

·
Registered
536 Posts
BMW x owners were saying that the bearing howl would start when the fronts were worn more than the back.

When they rotated the larger more tread tires to front, the howl went away.

Luckily, I'm a less is more guy, and only bought M Sport and Mineral white as add on, so only rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't live near snow and have never driven in such - and forgive me if I'm telling you something you know - but just wanted to share for the greater good that my dealer said to NEVER put chains on an X1. Only cables. We do have ski resorts in Cali but I'm more of a beach and mountain type. =)

·
Nuclear engineer
18,275 Posts
I skied in California in the Sixties and used snow-chains. When a chain would break the driver was informed by the gawdawful racket of the chain whipping around the wheel well - that would cause $$thousands$$ of damage in our BMW's. If you're going to, then buy the best cables that can be afforded - or a second set of winter tires. Nokian Hakkaplittas on my RWD VW were almost as good as 4WD.

·
Registered
118 Posts
On my X1, the rears wear out faster than the fronts. I suppose if I only replaced the rears, the fronts would now be undersized though.

·
Nuclear engineer
18,275 Posts
Rotate fore and aft at least annually, like when the alignment/check is done.

·
Registered
536 Posts
On my X1, the rears wear out faster than the fronts. I suppose if I only replaced the rears, the fronts would now be undersized though.
Mine on my s28i do also, and it's staggered 8x 18 and 9x 18.

A a 25.9 inch tall 225/45r18 wearing out 8/32 of tread down to 2/32 equals a 2% less size.

I'm gonna buy Michelin PSS in a 4% less diameter of 225/40r18 and 255/35r18, so I have to change all 4 when worn out next year.

I ordered 18" wheels for this reason to get more acceleration and approx 5#'s off each wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts