BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right guys sorry to bother you with small question but im finally getting around to fixing my broken radio
Only one speaker works and iv determined that its the built in radio amplifier
so this is my stereo,

and the BACK connector

And heres the one im looking at on ebay germany.

i know very very little about the versions of radios in bmws
i know my easiest option would be to buy an aftermarket sony stereo or something but i done that in my e36 and i always hated the look.

my radio is BECKER. OCT/2000 with a built in amp in the headunit (i have no amp in the trunk)

by any chance does anyone know if the connections are the same? i.e. flat pin and cd changer compatible?
thanks for your time lads
Steve

·
Registered
954 Posts
It cannot be seen whether the new one has flat or round pins. Because your car came with the New Generation (flat) connector, you must find a radio with the flat pin connector. If it's not shown in the picture look for "flachen Pins" ...or "neue/new Generation" in the description.

Second, is your existing radio unit (which is a BMW Business/IRIS) a single piece or two-piece unit? If you have two connectors, then you can purchase the MID/radio combo in your picture (assuming it is flat pin!). If you have just the single large connector in your car, then you must find the "einteilig" version. I looked on ebay briefly but did not see such a unit.

Also, you must make sure it is a Business unit and not a Reverse unit. Most will be Business. If they say CD Wechsler Steuerung, you'll be fine. Reverse radio are the only ones that cannot control a CD changer.

If you have the single connector unit, and it's becoming a challenge to find a replacement, then what you can do is purchase a MID adapter cable. It's a short, inexpensive cable that gives you the second connector. With it, you can install any BMW MID or IRIS two-piece units.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It cannot be seen whether the new one has flat or round pins. Because your car came with the New Generation (flat) connector, you must find a radio with the flat pin connector. If it's not shown in the picture look for "flachen Pins" ...or "neue/new Generation" in the description.

Second, is your existing radio unit (which is a BMW Business/IRIS) a single piece or two-piece unit? If you have two connectors, then you can purchase the MID/radio combo in your picture (assuming it is flat pin!). If you have just the single large connector in your car, then you must find the "einteilig" version. I looked on ebay briefly but did not see such a unit.

Also, you must make sure it is a Business unit and not a Reverse unit. Most will be Business. If they say CD Wechsler Steuerung, you'll be fine. Reverse radio are the only ones that cannot control a CD changer.

If you have the single connector unit, and it's becoming a challenge to find a replacement, then what you can do is purchase a MID adapter cable. It's a short, inexpensive cable that gives you the second connector. With it, you can install any BMW MID or IRIS two-piece units.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280228131559&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:DE:1123
theres the one im looking at.

the guy just mailed me back and said it looks EXACTLY the same as the back of my stereo

my unit is a single unit.
i guess im gonna have to get an adaptor, where u think i can get one?

thanks for your help Tyrone!

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
I believe that the two-piece unit also uses the rear-mounted amp...something else to think about before purchase.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The amplifier is independent of this, so you will be fine with the MID. I did see that unit on ebay and it would work, provided you install the adapter cable, which is available from dealer under p/n 65 12 9 405 409. I can email you some installation instructions.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tyrone i cant thank ya enough. thats great! im gonna check one more thing and if it doesnt work im gonna but that stereo tommorow. itd be great if you could give me instructions when i get the stereo. it'd be much apppreciated. i rewired the speakers and still no good so tonight im just gonna make sure the connector to the stereo is ok.
Thanks again Tyrone
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts