BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I unexpectedly had to replace my window regulator. This morning was looking forward to driving my repaired 2006 325i to visit my dad 40 miles away. Got up, washed the car, and was ready to go. Started the engine and you could feel the misfire. Replaced 2 coils in the past 11 years so expected bad coil. At my destination had the car scanned by autozone... I don't have a reader. Misfire cylinder #3. Went home, swapped #2 and #3 coils, and back to Autozone. Spark plug wells were as clean as a whistle after 11 years. Stupid me forgot the prior code was not cleared....if I am not correct, please correct me. So report comes back #2,3 misfire. I assume it is the #3 coil. Asked Autozone to clear the prior code...said it was illegal.

So can somebody confirm it is the coil...P0303 code, before I order TWO coils from BavAuto. One for future failure. Autozone sells Bosch for $30 cheaper. I always go OEM. Any thoughts one vs the other?

As an aside got code P0597. Thermostat circuit failure. I assumed it failed in the open position, and might have been like that for a long time. Car never overheated. Is it safe for a while until I get the courage to do the thermostat and water pump together?

Thanks

·
Banned
10,015 Posts

[click this]

Dude, Autozone? Interested in chapter & verse, illegality of clearing codes. Can they provide?

Did not clear Cyl #3 misfire code, sooooooo it's still there. Replace what is now #2 coil; get yourself into a decent OBDII reader fer Father's Day!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks. Read the thread you posted. On another thread you recommended Carly to register battery. Will BT scanner register battery as well? Still not up to speed on coding tools vs scanning tools. As an aside, the 3 1/2 year old OEM battery was failing in cold weather only. Do you suppose registering an unregistered battery will change that in any way. Haven't done any diagnostics on the battery yet. Will wait till fall.

My order is about to go in for the BT. I assume it cannot be had for less than $180 + shipping?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had an engine misfire signal 1 cylinder, dealer never says I word. I saw it on the repair ticket. I noticed if I steeled on it hard the engine chocked. I went to auto zone engine misfire. I had extended warranty it needed a coil pack which was covered. Wish dealer would have sucked it up and fixed it first time I was there. I would have been out of warranty in a few months. Have to keep on top of them

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was ready to go to local BMW dealer for my coil this morning. They open at 7:30am. Instead purchased it from FCPEuro. The price difference was DRAMATIC. $57 vs $84. Its almost like too good to be true. Took a double take and triple take. Ordered a spare Bosch Coil for $28, as well as other parts. Best prices I have seen.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,314 Posts
Will BT scanner register battery as well?

My order is about to go in for the BT. I assume it cannot be had for less than $180 + shipping?
Yes and yes. I'm very happy with my BT scanner (now on it's 2nd BMW, as I got the 3 car version back in the day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts