BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car dumped all of it's coolant the other day(of course about a year out of warranty, go figure).

Anyhow, I found out where the dump came from but the diagrams do not show the part I am about 99% sure that I need. So, I want to make sure I know it's setup how I think it is.

Can someone with experience verify this for me or can someone, please pop the hood and follow the top line on the coolant overflow tank down to the engine and verify for me, that it connects to two tubes(one on each side of the engine)by a 3 way splitter.

I've included a couple pics for reference(as you can see their are three houses not connected to anything). This is with the intake manifold off; but I'd imagine anyone with a good flashlight and a keen eye could answer me.

Please and thanks

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I have a 650i but the engine is essentially the same.

The line from the overflow runs down to a Y shaped splitter. One line to the overflow, one line straight down about an inch into the block (some sort of sensor) and the other goes to the right. With the intake in place I cannot see where the line to the right goes.

I'd take a picture but with all the plumbing in place that Y splitter is buried pretty deep.

It looks like you need Part #13 in this diagram on RealOEM.com

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Curious diagram. I believe it is mis-numbered. Part #13 is listed as a "hose clamp" (as are 11 and 14).
Exactly my problem, and this is what tripped me up and made me second guess myself. Part 13 is labeled as a hose clamp; and I need the splitter which is MIA, or mislabeled, on all diagrams.

EDIT: found the problem; the damn Y-connector comes with the hose, an of course it comes with the $50 hose, the one on my car, that looks brand new.

I did however call autozone and he says; they have these y conmectors in all sizes, I will post an update to this; incase anyone else has this problem in the future.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixed the issue got a box of t T-connectors and some clamps at autozone and it looks better than oem.

However, is still leaking elsewhere. To test I added water and heard drips almost immediately. Probably a hose or water pump. I don't have access to a lift and am not crawling under the car so to an Indy it goes; I will post the fix for future reference,

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Don't forget to detail your engine bay after they fix the leak.:stickpoke :D

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't forget to detail your engine bay after they fix the leak.:stickpoke :D
Lol... I keep a very clean car on the interior and exterior, however, the engine bay I ignore:(. I really like seeing these painted engine/valve covers and it makes me want to do it, but I am not much into DIY, not lazy, just better things to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.