Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
BringsMeWomen said:
Just wondering what it covers, how long the warranty lasts, and also personal experiences of problems and if they fixed it free of charge or not.
Duration: 4 years/50,000 miles

Full maintenance included: http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/bmwindepth/Difference/maintenance

For personal experiences regarding particular/general warranty issues, a search will give you hundreds, even thousands, of individual cases in this forum alone. No two cases are necessarily the same.

·
Yoyo Mama
619 Posts
BringsMeWomen said:
Just wondering what it covers, how long the warranty lasts, and also personal experiences of problems and if they fixed it free of charge or not.
Short answer: 4 years/50K. They pay everything minus gas and tires/wheels.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Technic said:
Duration: 4 years/50,000 miles

Full maintenance included: http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/bmwindepth/Difference/maintenance

For personal experiences regarding particular/general warranty issues, a search will give you hundreds, even thousands, of individual cases in this forum alone. No two cases are necessarily the same.
I'm not talking about maintainence. I am talking about warranty of things outside of maintainence program. For example, if your transmission breaks within a year or two. Or if something in your iDrive goes wrong. Or if something goes wrong with your car relatively early.

Unless there is no other warranty aside from maintainence.

·
Yoyo Mama
619 Posts
BringsMeWomen said:
I'm not talking about maintainence. I am talking about warranty of things outside of maintainence program. For example, if your transmission breaks within a year or two. Or if something in your iDrive goes wrong. Or if something goes wrong with your car relatively early.

Powertrain and maintenance warranty are both 4/50. If your transmission goes during the warranty period, that would suck - but it's free to repair.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
BringsMeWomen said:

I'm really lost here...

Is this your first new car purchase? Because all car manufacturers will replace or repair any of the malfunctions that you indicated above within the new car warranty period if no abuse o negligence is determined to be its cause. What makes you think that BMW warranty is different? :confused:

You asked about BMW warranty, and Full Maintenance is part of the BMW warranty as a complement. BMW warranty duration is 4 years, 50,000 miles -whichever is first- as stated in my first post and covers the car "bumper to bumper" for manufacturing and design defects. And Full Maintenance will pick up after the defects by covering maintenance and wear items (except tires) for the same duration of the warranty.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
BringsMeWomen said:

As a previous response stated

"They pay everything minus gas and tires/wheels."

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Technic said:
I'm really lost here...

Is this your first new car purchase? Because all car manufacturers will replace or repair any of the malfunctions that you indicated above within the new car warranty period if no abuse o negligence is determined to be its cause. What makes you think that BMW warranty is different? :confused:

You asked about BMW warranty, and Full Maintenance is part of the BMW warranty as a complement. BMW warranty duration is 4 years, 50,000 miles -whichever is first- as stated in my first post and covers the car "bumper to bumper" for manufacturing and design defects. And Full Maintenance will pick up after the defects by covering maintenance and wear items (except tires) for the same duration of the warranty.

Ok great thanks. I guess I will sell after 4 years or 50K miles. lol.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
You wouldn't be the only one "living on a clock" but I've read elsewhere about purchasing an extension to the warranty so that sounds like an option.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Penforhire said:
You wouldn't be the only one "living on a clock" but I've read elsewhere about purchasing an extension to the warranty so that sounds like an option.
Yeah but why buy a warranty extension when you can just get a new car? :D

·
Yoyo Mama
619 Posts
Penforhire said:

You can purchase the extended warranty 7/100 (maintenance only) at any point before the initial warranty expires. The price may go up though...

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
BringsMeWomen said:
Yeah but why buy a warranty extension when you can just get a new car? :D
It is always cheaper to maintain a used car than buy or lease a new one.

Some folks would rather not deal with repair costs and have a monthly car vehicle allowance allocated to driving a new model.

Average household incomes are pretty low these days as are savings rates. A typical family of four can come up with a few hundred dollars per month for a car payment, but would have an issue with a $3,000 transmission repair bill.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chuck92103 said:
It is always cheaper to maintain a used car than buy or lease a new one.

Some folks would rather not deal with repair costs and have a monthly car vehicle allowance allocated to driving a new model.

Average household incomes are pretty low these days as are savings rates. A typical family of four can come up with a few hundred dollars per month for a car payment, but would have an issue with a $3,000 transmission repair bill.
Yeah but depreciation sux. I know the later it is, the less it depreciates, but in my mind, I'd rather just get a new car. Especially on Euro cars. Japanese cars lasts forever and those are good to keep a long time. One mechanic friend of mine was tuning up a 9 year old VW and new plugs cost something like 400 bucks just for the freaking plugs!

No thanks.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
BringsMeWomen said:
Yeah but depreciation sux. I know the later it is, the less it depreciates, but in my mind, I'd rather just get a new car. Especially on Euro cars. Japanese cars lasts forever and those are good to keep a long time. One mechanic friend of mine was tuning up a 9 year old VW and new plugs cost something like 400 bucks just for the freaking plugs!

No thanks.
Several thousand dollars are built into BMW for free maintenance which is why they are more expensive than their competitors.

Again, whether you buy or lease, you are paying for depreciation, repairs, maintenance, etc. No one gets a free ride on any car. If car manufacturers did not make money off leases, they would not do it. However, they make a ton of money off leasing.

Most people seemed focused on thei "monthly" payment and never look at the big picture.

Yeah your friend spent $400 for a tune up. I suppose he could have bought a new $30,000 car and saved a ton of money? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chuck92103 said:
Several thousand dollars are built into BMW for free maintenance which is why they are more expensive than their competitors.

Again, whether you buy or lease, you are paying for depreciation, repairs, maintenance, etc. No one gets a free ride on any car. If car manufacturers did not make money off leases, they would not do it. However, they make a ton of money off leasing.

Most people seemed focused on thei "monthly" payment and never look at the big picture.

Yeah your friend spent $400 for a tune up. I suppose he could have bought a new $30,000 car and saved a ton of money? :dunno:
No he's a mechanic. He did the tune up for someone else who paid 400 just for the plug portion of the tune up. The total was something like 1100 bucks. For a freaking tune up!

Yeah, so anytime something goes wrong with an old Euro car, expect to pay about 1000 bucks each time. Unless it is very very very minor. Then you're looking at least a few hundred bucks.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
BringsMeWomen said:
No he's a mechanic. He did the tune up for someone else who paid 400 just for the plug portion of the tune up. The total was something like 1100 bucks. For a freaking tune up!

Yeah, so anytime something goes wrong with an old Euro car, expect to pay about 1000 bucks each time. Unless it is very very very minor. Then you're looking at least a few hundred bucks.
This is true for any car. Mechanics have to eat too. Go get a quote for new brakes on a Honda Accord, you will be up to $700-$1000 as well.

Parts cost a little more on performance cars, but labor is the big factor.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
chuck92103 said:
This is true for any car. Mechanics have to eat too. Go get a quote for new brakes on a Honda Accord, you will be up to $700-$1000 as well.

Parts cost a little more on performance cars, but labor is the big factor.
First, I am talking tune ups. But in general European car parts cost more than all other car parts. That's a fact. Second, if you are talking about brakes, the parts still costs significantly less than European cars than a Honda.

Also, Hondas are easier to work on than most European cars, making the labor cost less.

Im not knocking European cars. I love them. But after the warranty runs out, its gonna be a lot of money.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
BringsMeWomen said:
First, I am talking tune ups. But in general European car parts cost more than all other car parts. That's a fact. Second, if you are talking about brakes, the parts still costs significantly less than European cars than a Honda.

Also, Hondas are easier to work on than most European cars, making the labor cost less.

Im not knocking European cars. I love them. But after the warranty runs out, its gonna be a lot of money.
It is all relative to the initial cost of the car. If you want cheap maintenance you need to get a cheap car.

·
Registered
307 Posts
BringsMeWomen said:
...But in general European car parts cost more than all other car parts. That's a fact. ...
I think you'll find that car parts are priced relative to their complexity, and not their region of origin or brand of car they fit.

I bet if you search for engine parts for an e90 and a g35 you would find them similar in price, like for like.

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
BringsMeWomen said:

Foreign car parts whether Japanese or German are very expensive. A brake job that costs $300 on an American car will run $800 on Japanese car and probably about the same on a German car. $60 rebuilt alternator for a Ford will run $500 on your BMW np.

If you want cheap repairs, buy American. If you want absoulte performance and handling, buy German.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts