Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Seattle, WA area and was wondering if $1k above invoice for an '03 330ci loaded was possible? I went to a few local dealerships and they all would not budge on price and would only give me $2000 above invoice. If someone can help me locate a dealer that would do $1k above invoice I'd be willing to go anywhere on the westcoast and make it happen.

thanks

jk

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Here's what I'd recommend.

Put together an offer sheet listing everything about the vehicle (color, options, ED invoice prices, etc.) and send it to the internet service managers via all of the dealerships e-mail address for the States you will consider buying from. Include the over invoice price you are seeking, then sit back and watch the replies come pouring back from these dealerships.

Once you've agreed to a price with one or more of them shop it to your local dealer of choice, and see if they will match or come close to it.

This is the method that I used when I was soliciting prices for my cab, and I was surprised at some of the replies that I got. My local dealer wouldn't match or even come close to the best offer, so I bought from the next nearest dealer that would. Take into consideration that by buying from a non-local dealer you may be giving up some perks like free loaners, Saturday car washes, etc.. Consider what those perks are worth to you, and use it to gauge the best non-local offer vs. the best local offer.

Personally I think 1.5K over is more realistic, but you never really know until you try. It is just an offer and provides the basis for further discourse once they've accepted or countered with their own offer.

You're making a great decision by going ED. In my opinion it's just about the only way to fly when buying BMW's. Not only do you save a hunk of dough, but you also get to drive it on the roads that it was really engineered for. And even after all of the travel expenses are added up, if you just break even on the deal the experience alone will stay with you for a lifetime. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good luck and keep us posted on your efforts.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you are going to do ED, you can pretty much purchase the car from any dealer. My recommendation would be Passport BMW in Maryland, and specifically Joern Esser as the sales consultant.

$1,000 over invoice is still tough but may be doable. I got it for 1,100 over invc.

Good luck.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
I can whole heartedly second the recommendation about Passport BMW in MD and Joern Esser. He sells cars using ED to people all over the country.....for good reason. He gets them great deals and equally important is that the service is terrific.

·
Tree Stalker
1,753 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone getting a $1,000 over deal on an ED -- at least, recently. Best I could do was $1,200 over on a 325i, and I had to work for that. I think $1,500 on a 330i is pretty good, if you can get it.

I'm not sure why someone would say you can use any dealer if you do ED. It needs to be a dealer close enough to you to drive over and pick the car up. For me, that means within 200 miles. All I can suggest is that you compose a list of every dealer within 200 miles (or whatever your personal limit is) and email their internet sales department. This can save a lot of time.

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
postoak said:
I haven't heard of anyone getting a $1,000 over deal on an ED -- at least, recently. Best I could do was $1,200 over on a 325i, and I had to work for that. I think $1,500 on a 330i is pretty good, if you can get it.

I'm not sure why someone would say you can use any dealer if you do ED. It needs to be a dealer close enough to you to drive over and pick the car up. For me, that means within 200 miles. All I can suggest is that you compose a list of every dealer within 200 miles (or whatever your personal limit is) and email their internet sales department. This can save a lot of time.
I agree that it is most ideal if the dealer is within relative close distance (300 miles or so). One of the reasons is the Client Advisor will need to see and make a copy of your passport.

I have heard of others getting around the aspect of physically being onsite and displaying the passport, but I'm not really sure what the deal was there. Perhaps someone can clarify how this can be done.

But it's generally a good idea for the parties to meet in the flesh so that you can build a relationship of trust.

Just my 2 bits.

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
atyclb said:
"let's talk about a problem that lots of guys don't want to talk about. ED."

(sorry, your subject line was too inviting):D
:lmao:

"Millions of American males have this problem, so always remember to hold your head up because you're not alone, even though at times you may want to be."

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. I am making my price sheet right now and will email the dealers.

From what I hear, $1500 is a more reasonable price to expect?

Thanks everyone! This is truly a great forum!

JK

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Jinky206 said:
From what I hear, $1500 is a more reasonable price to expect?
The dealer has to make a reasonable profit. You will not see $100 over invoice on BMWs like you see on American and Japanese cars. The BMW dealers wouldn't make enough of a profit to stay in business very long. $1500 over invoice is a reasonable profit IMO.

OTOH, Euro delivery cars (except the Z8, M5 and M3) are EXTRA allocations- so they are pure dealer profit.

·
Tree Stalker
1,753 Posts
IndyMike - I did my ED with a dealer about 150 miles away. I did the whole thing by email, phone, fax, and regular mail. I've not yet been to the dealership and won't go there until I pick up the car (hopefully in a week or two). You have to go to the dealership to pick up the car, which is why Passport, in Maryland isn't good for someone in California. I do know of some who have arranged to have the car shipped from Passport to a nearby dealer (not all dealers will agree to do this) but the local dealer will want about $250 for this so your $1500 over deal becomes a $1750 over deal -- still not a bad price, though.

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
postoak said:
IndyMike - I did my ED with a dealer about 150 miles away. I did the whole thing by email, phone, fax, and regular mail. I've not yet been to the dealership and won't go there until I pick up the car (hopefully in a week or two). You have to go to the dealership to pick up the car, which is why Passport, in Maryland isn't good for someone in California. I do know of some who have arranged to have the car shipped from Passport to a nearby dealer (not all dealers will agree to do this) but the local dealer will want about $250 for this so your $1500 over deal becomes a $1750 over deal -- still not a bad price, though.
Ah, so that's how it's done. I thought that might be how it worked. Thanks for clearing that up, postoak. Hope your car makes it back to you without incident. Another good thing about ED is that when you pick it up from the dealer it's like taking delivery a second time. The same grin and everything all over again. Makes the anxiety and tears of having to wait twice worth it. :thumbup:

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
The points about being near the delivering dealer are well taken. I do find it interesting that many people have found it financially worthwhile as well as in customer service to order their ED car from Passport BMW in MD when they live in places such as TX, CA, OR. For the effort of an email to Joern you may find a deal you're looking for, as well as meeting a sales agent who really cares.

·
Registered
526 Posts
When you do ED, after delivering the car back to one of the ports in Europe, you can have it shipped to any dealer in the US. That is why you do not necessarily need to see or go to the dealer for any reason.

:)

·
Tree Stalker
1,753 Posts
Flying Toaster - wow, I know about a dozen guys who've done ED and none of us knew that. Is there a charge by the dealer who you send it to for "make ready"? Have you done this yourself?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've done ED myself, and I was asked where I wanted the car delivered; I had the option to pick up at Perf Cntr, or any other dealer.

When you do ED, you pay for the car 30 days in advance; thus the dealer gets their money up front; rest is just a BMW NA service. It is not very complicated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to make sure I got this correct, I can order a ED at any dealership in the states and have them ship it to any dealer I please? Is there a $250 shipping fee or no? Just want to make sure I have all the info right.

thanks again guys,

JK

·
Tree Stalker
1,753 Posts
Okay, I asked around on this and what I was told was that the receiving dealer has to agree to receive your car. Most won't, because their's nothing in it for them -- a promise from you that'll you'll have the car serviced there is not enough of a reward, apparently.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts