Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's 2 days before Christmas and I'm supposed to leave town on Monday (in the car). I got a nail in the sidewall of the back right tire and unfortunately it will have to be replaced. And unfortunately, today is Sunday and no one is open. The car is a 2018 540i M sport with M sport brakes. The tires the car came with in the back are Pirelli run flats Pzero's 275/30 R20 97Y PZ4 treadwear is 320 Traction AA Temperature A rated. These are summer tires.

The tires have 4300 miles on them. Been trying to find this tire as I only need one. Unfortunately, I can't find any place that carries these. It looks to me like they've been discontinued. Tire rack had them on close out and are sold out. Can't find them on BMW website. Pirelli's site says they don't carry summer tires for BMW 540i any longer. Only winter and all season.

Therefore, it looks like I'm now going to have to replace at least TWO tires in the back with all season tires. BUT can I have summers in the front and all seasons in the back? Or is this going to cause handling problems? Not sure what to do here. I wasn't planning on spending a gazillion dollars at Christmas on 4 tires that don't all need replacing or 2 for that matter.

Anyone have any suggestions for me as to what the best thing to do is here? Also, should I get this done at BMW or is a Discount Tire or somewhere like that suitable ... as in do they know what they're doing? I've read that you need to go somewhere they have a lever-less tire changer deal so as not to scratch the rims.

What's the best strategy here? Regardless, looks like this is going to mess up my Christmas plans probably. Too bad it's not a tire I can just take to Discount Tire, fix it, and be on my way.

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
No, you can not have summers in the front and all seasons in the back. The best strategy is to go to a BMW dealer and buy 1 tire. They should have the correct size and tire you need. The BMW dealer will likely be the most expensive place but buying 1 tire is cheaper than buying 2, and there is no way in [email protected][email protected]$ I would put all seasons on the rear and still have summers in the front.

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,179 Posts
A quick search shows Wal-Mart carries that particular tire.
Open today, give them a call to verify first.
If they have one, take just the rim down there and you should be ok.
BTW, no place will or should fix sidewall damage on a run flat.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Original equipment Pirelli Tire Road Hazard Warranty

Your Pirelli may be covered under the manufacturer's road hazard warranty; Call Pirelli or an authorized Pirelli dealer. FYI, MY BMW dealer was able to process the tire warranty directly when I had a puncture 4-5 months sgo. Even after 14,000 miles and 10 months my total out of pocket was prorated and about $150.

SOME ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT Pirelli RFTs are covered by the manufacturer's warranty - Dealers might instead want to sell you a high-profit wheel and tire warranty instead of handling the tire manufacturer warranty. Of course the tire mfg warranty doesn't cover any damage to a wheel but that's not the case in your puncture.
OR, as I found out 4-5 years ago, even a BMW dealer may be clueless about OEM TIre Road Hazard Warranties. It helps to be a better informed consumer :)

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you SO MUCH luigi! I definitely will check about this before I call BMW tomorrow. Great info and thanks for the help!

·
dce
609 Posts
I feel your pain kap. I had similar damage over a holiday weekend and all places had to order the tire (Pirelli RF). So did BMW dealer, but they got it done in 2 days after the weekend and gave me a loaner. Got me thinking about what I would do if this happens when I’m on a trip. Wondering if RFTs w/o spare are a really a good approach.

Sorry I can’t help you as much as others have, wish you good luck and a happy holiday despite the disruption.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
4,130 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well no one has the tire in stock and has to be ordered. It should be covered under Pirelli road hazard warranty though. Thanks for everyones' help and Merry Christmas!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts