BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 325i with satellite radio prep. I see that I can buy a new sat radio module for something close to $1,000 :yikes:, but there are also plenty available on eBay for about $100. According to the linked installation instructions some kind of programming needs to be done, which includes a PuMA request through the dealer (and a 3.5" floppy drive :dunno:).

https://www.e90post.com/goodiesforyou/DIY-SiriusRadio.pdf

My dealer suggested they would charge something on the order of $500 just to do the installation/programming, even if I have the module.

Do I need to go to a dealer to get this done? Or might an indie or someone else be able to do the necessary programming? Anyone have any experience with this?

I discussed this briefly with a local BMW indie, and he said he had never dealt with the satellite radio before. Said he would do some research, but I haven't heard back from him.

For $1,000-plus, I will do without. But I do like satellite radio.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Not sure what you mean by programming or activation. I had to contact Sirius/XM directly and purchase a license. They activated it; didn't involve a dealer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some sort of programming needs to be done to get the car to recognize the satellite radio is installed. This is done after the fiber optic connections to the radio are switched around (see linked instructions). After that is done, then I would deal with Sirius/XM to activate the subscription.

It is my understanding that in my car, if I just install the satellite receiver/module, it will not show as an option until some sort of programming is changed in the car. In my case, I can't just call Sirius/XM.

In my F-250, I was just able to call Sirius/XM to activate satellite in that. I guess BMW wants more of my money.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
That price is ridiculous = 1000
you should mention if you have idrive or pro radio.

Way cheaper from Bimmertech last time I looked.
Asking a dealer to retrofit something is like talking to
a Robocaller and expecting intelligent feedback.
They have a canned list they read to you.

Also the guys on the coding forum at e90post may be of help
with coding and FSC codes if needed.

And I have never seen anything about a floppy drive mentioned in
any retrofit . I haven't seen a floppy drive since the 90's

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/index.p...radio&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=89&lang=en

I believe these guys will remote code it if you can plug it in and reroute the most bus cables .
They should be able to walk you through it.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1089309&highlight=sat+radio

Actually looks like install and program for the car then call Sirius is all that's needed.
Pretty good explanation in the e90post link and its sub links plus pictures of the module install
and most bus routing.

It would be a good idea for you to getting a coding / diag setup anyway .
Bimmergeeks.net cable and there downloads if you have a PC.
45 dollars for the cable and the download is free .(takes some time to set up and some
understanding of PC's)
Factory/Dealer Diags Ista D and the Inpa coding/diag suite.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It is very simple coding. It could be done remotely in 15 minutes. Bimmergeeks cable will be needed. When you purchase a used IBOC make sure to get the correct one. I think 2006 used 2 antenna wires. Check the pre-wiring in your trunk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The radio is the PROFESSIONAL mode.
No navigation.
No iDrive.

Thanks for all the assistance. I will be giving a call to Bimmertech. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
You can do it even cheaper than bmmertech .
Guy in the last thread I mentioned did it for around
100 to 150 for hardware not including the subscription
cost.

It looks like Bimmertech isn't including hardware for pre
09 cars in there price.
Which would mean sat module and mounting bracket with fan.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not trying to hijack but where did you find you sat module prewire cables I cant find mine, 2010 E90 sedan.
My car is 2006. In the trunk, under the "floor" of the trunk, there is a space for the sat radio tuner. In my case the space was empty, and there were two free electrical connectors. The picture below is with a tuner (from Ebay) installed. You can see the pink connector in the foreground; behind it is a black connector with green, black, and brown wires. The tuner I installed is part number 9142852-03. It appears there are multiple part numbers for this same part, and there are some tuners with different connectors. Be sure to get the right one for your car. So, in my case it was simply a matter of lifting the cover in the trunk (where I wish there was room for a spare tire) to find the relevant connectors.

In my case, connecting the tuner is only part of the picture. I then had to rearrange some fiber optic cables as well. See my next post.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Only US Cars up until and including model year 2009 got pre wiring
in the US. Not sure what went on in the REST of the World .
Rerouting the fiberoptics to include the Sat module in the Most Bus is part of the
procedure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my satellite radio working this morning! Total cost was about $400.

I purchased a used tuner (Satellite DLP module Gen2.5, part number 9142852-03) from Ebay for $80. Got the bracket for $20. I ended up going with BimmerTech for the coding. Perhaps I could have saved some money elsewhere, but they were very easy to work with, and they got the job done. I am happy with their service for the $300 I gave them. It was certainly better than taking the car to a dealership!

The trickiest part for me was having to re-route some of the fiber optic cables. My fiber optic cables were not attached in the pattern shown in the instructions that I linked in my first post. Fortunately, with a little help from Google, I was able to figure out what to do. There are two fiber optic junction boxes behind the driver's side of the rear seat. I believe one of them is for active components, and the other is for components not being used. One of the boxes now has cables labeled CCC, TOP, TCU, and SDARS. I believe CCC is the head unit??? SDARS is the satellite radio. I'm not sure what TOP and TCU are. The "inactive" box had the SDARS cables and CDC, which I believe is a CD changer, which I do not have.

All good now. Thanks to everyone for joining in!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ctuna,

My bracket does not have the mount for a fan. I saw one with the mount for a fan and it was not listed for my 325i, though it looks like it would fit. I have also found the fan. I did not notice a place to connect the fan for power. Don't bother spending much time on this, but it you have a quick answer, I'll take it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts