BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

Long time no post. Can someone point me to a brake replacement DIY. Finally wore out my oem brakes and need to replace them.

Thanks!

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey James,

Thanks for the expeditious reply. I forgot to check the Phanatics. ;) Great link. If I remember correctly, KromeX's car is the same year model and color as mine (and he even lives near by). Bonus points for that. I was actually looking for something with more detail, though, including rotor replacement. Thos also appear to be just the front brakes. Is there a DIY for the rears? How does one deal with the parking brake shoes if its even an issue? Being a former master mechanic, I can probably figure it all out but I want to scope out the job before ordering parts and diving in. My time is valuable these days. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
31st330i said:
Thanks for the expeditious reply. I forgot to check the Phanatics. ;)
AFAIK the rear is exactly the same procedure as the front. The parking break shoes won't be a problem as I think they are inside the hub (I haven't actually done this DIY but I came VERY close before chickening out ;) ). When I had the wheels off everything was out in the open on all four corners.

I remember there being a DIY for the rotors, I'll see what I can dig up. The rotors are pretty much just remove and replace though. The only interesting thing would be torque figures.

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So is everyone replacing just the pads and no other hardware like springs or clips and the like?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
31st330i said:
So is everyone replacing just the pads and no other hardware like springs or clips and the like?
When I was going to do mine I bought pads, discs, sensor wires and the little placer bolt for the disc. Those are the only pieces I considered to be "wear and tear".

Don't take my word for it though. Remember I never actually did it :D.

To bad you don't live near philly. I still have the rear pads, discs and sensor wires from the DIY I didn't do. Would have sold them cheap :thumbup:.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just did my pads last night. (FIRST TME!) After a few days of trial and error, bugging my friends for advice. Their is a site call madrussian http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_front_brake_pads.shtml and I thought it documented the procedure very well.
I also bought the Chilton book for the 3 series 99-2005. It's not a bad reference either for the money. Last time I went to have brakes done it was stupid money. (Dealer quote $700) So I glad I did it myself this time. WIsh they covered the brake when I got my car as they do now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just wanted to add a couple things I ran into, which were a pain about this process and not covered in the tutorials I found.

First off, my front tires were REALLY seized on the car. Make sure you can get BOTH Tire side off before you put the pads in. This alone cost me a day as I had to get rubber mallet to try to whack it as kicking didn;t help. IN the end I had to loosen the lugs and drive on it a little before it would loosen. (NOT recommened you do this, but I'd had enough and someone mentioned it online to try it somewhere) Went I put the tires back on I put some anti seize on the hub area to avoid sticking next time.

Second, wear gloves on this job. I didn't on the first tire and regretted it. Live and learn.

You'll need a 7mm allen socket or wrench. 6" - C Clamp. Some parts guy told me it was 1/4" and I said dude, it's german and everything appears to be metric. I used at think shoe box to rest the caliper on.

As for the pad sensor, on my car shorter was the front cable, longer was the back one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
325 Ci Brakes Replacement on 2001 Model

2001 325 Ci Brake Replacement on 2001 Model

Just replaced my Brakes and Rotors for all four.
I used all Napa Parts fro my local Napc part store, and had a good local shop put them on for me. I worked out really good. The brakes are great no problems at all.
Total Cost $275 for parts, $150 to have them put on. Very pleased to have not used my BMW dealer for something this easy.

Thanks anf good luck, Houston

·
Registered
3 Posts
Napa Parts Good

Hi All, this is my first post on the forums. I bought a 2002 325i few months back and now need to replace all four brakes and rotors. The first estimate I got from Brake Masters was for $840! (Parts+150 labor). I started looking around found this forum and saw the post about Napa [arts. I just wanted to check with the experts here that Napa parts are good and safe. The ones I am looking at are as follows: -

1) Brake Rotor Only - Front - $42.49 x 2 = $84.98
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...48880011&Description=Brake+Rotor+Only+-+Front

2) Brake Rotor Only - Rear - $42.49 x 2 = $84.98
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...=48880127&Description=Brake+Rotor+Only+-+Rear

3) Brake Pads Front - (Four) - $71.49
http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...on=Brake+Pads+-+Front,+Adaptive+One+-+Ceramix

4) Brake Pads Rear - (Four) - $62.99
http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...ion=Brake+Pads+-+Rear,+Adaptive+One+-+Ceramix

The total for parts comes out to - $304.44 whereas the parts quoted by Brake Master comes to $690.00 I do understand that the quality difference plus margins makes the price difference but my question to experts here is are these parts safe, no issues etc? The post above seems to suggest there are no issues. Have other people also used similar parts without facing any problems. Any light you guys can shed will be really helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts