BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read this at a post on .org:

1. Finally, if you turn off the fan on the climate control and then turn off your car, it DOES NOT turn back on automatically when you start the car again. Hallelujah!

2. The steering wheel buttons now scroll through all sets of radio presets.

if that is true, then can dealers program 2001's climate control to stay shut off? thanks

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:
i read this at a post on .org:

1. Finally, if you turn off the fan on the climate control and then turn off your car, it DOES NOT turn back on automatically when you start the car again. Hallelujah!

2. The steering wheel buttons now scroll through all sets of radio presets.

if that is true, then can dealers program 2001's climate control to stay shut off? thanks
you can program all the ACC to stay shut off, just talk to Larry or Bart next time u'r there. I keep forgetting to get that done myself! I can give you the code later, I'm pretty sure it's in the Bentley manual.

--Andrew

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: can someone with a 2002 sedan confirm..

ayn said:

you can program all the ACC to stay shut off, just talk to Larry or Bart next time u'r there. I keep forgetting to get that done myself! I can give you the code later, I'm pretty sure it's in the Bentley manual.

--Andrew
andrew -

i asked last time i was there. they said they didn't know what i was talking about. i even went in with the long car/key sheet that said the "auto blower" could be turned off. if you get the code let me know, cuz it's no bother to me to drive through temple to get to killeen when i go. haha, maybe if you dont hvae time to go we can trade cars for a weekend and i'll take it to gs on friday bring it back to you on sunday... ummmm 330 sweetness.. ;) :D

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Not sure about the fan thing, but I think it does stay off.

The steering wheel buttons only scroll through one bank of presets at a time, though. Must hit the "FM" button on the head unit to change banks still.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Plaz 330i said:
Not sure about the fan thing, but I think it does stay off.

The steering wheel buttons only scroll through one bank of presets at a time, though. Must hit the "FM" button on the head unit to change banks still.
On my radio, scrolling with the steering wheel buttons will run through FM 1 then FM 2 then back to FM 1. You have to hit the FM button if you want to go to FM A (the auto scan and set stations based on signal strength).

As far as the fan, you are correct if you had turned it off prior to shutting car off then next time you start the car it is still off.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Hmm...

I have an 01 and the HVAC goes back to whatever it was set to when the car was shut off (I thought this was part of Car Memory too), but the presets do NOT go from FM1 to FM2 then back.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Kaz said:
Hmm...

I have an 01 and the HVAC goes back to whatever it was set to when the car was shut off (I thought this was part of Car Memory too), but the presets do NOT go from FM1 to FM2 then back.
It must be a change to 02 for the FM scrolling:dunno: Ichecked it over lunch to make sure I wasn't wrong and it definately went from 1 to 2 to 1.

·
Senior Slacker
5,673 Posts
Off is off

I always shut off my HVAC by pushing the fan button and it stays off when I next start the car. I believe the steering wheel controls do cycle through all of the fm presets but I will have to check that later. I do not recall telling the dealer on the car key memory form to program my HVAC but at my age you tend to forget these things. I have an '02 coupe.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Re: Off is off

vexed said:
....but at my age you tend to forget these things. I have an '02 coupe.
At least you remembered what kind of car you have;) I respect a man who can make light of himself:thumb:

Are you feeling the love today?

·
Senior Slacker
5,673 Posts
Re: Re: Off is off

PM 325xiT said:

At least you remembered what kind of car you have;) I respect a man who can make light of himself:thumb:

Are you feeling the love today?
Car...car, oh that car.:D Hey so far it is a real love fest except for that other thread that I am not touching.:eek:

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
What would be even better is if you could make the steering wheel buttons function like the seek buttons on the radio. I know you can do this by holding the button on the wheel for 1 second, but that's very annoying. If you press the M button on the radio, the buttons will scroll through each station. For some reason, BMW makes it hard to do the most common thing- browsing the next available radio station from the steering wheel. Presets do no good if your always travelling between different areas and browsing through each station on the dia is also tedious.

It seems like there are a few simple, obvious improvements that BMW could make that they have resisted for years like:
1. headlights off w/ ignition. i know this now happens on 02 cars equipped w/ auto headlights. BUt this is a basic feature and shoudl be part of all their cars--note i'm just talking about the headlights shutting off w/ the ignition not auto headlights.

2. In-dash CD Changer. Other makes have had this for years- including Fords and Hondas.

3. track time remaining display on CD player. Not so important but almost every other CD player has this basic feature.

4. DVD-based nav. GRanted this is a *little* more complicated but other manufacturers have had this for several years. Can't BMW just use different suppliers if their own suppliers can't make one?

Its wierd that BMW messes up on what should be the "no-brainer" stuff. Even the problems that BMW's tend to have fall into this category: thermostats, door seals, rattling seatbelts, engine fans, etc.. All basic things that have been around for over 50 years- and they manage to screw them up. They get the more complicated stuff right, but the can't seem to do the basic stuff. Very strange-- i just don't understand it. Its not like it even takes much engineering time to develop these things since they've all been done and perfected by other automakers and suppliers. Even GM and FOrd get this stuff right.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

It must be a change to 02 for the FM scrolling:dunno: Ichecked it over lunch to make sure I wasn't wrong and it definately went from 1 to 2 to 1.
I double checked too, and mine definitely does not go through FM1 then FM2... perhaps this improvement was not made to the stereo with Nav.

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
Re: Re: Re: can someone with a 2002 sedan confirm..

eugeneDC/TX said:

andrew -

i asked last time i was there. they said they didn't know what i was talking about. i even went in with the long car/key sheet that said the "auto blower" could be turned off. if you get the code let me know, cuz it's no bother to me to drive through temple to get to killeen when i go. haha, maybe if you dont hvae time to go we can trade cars for a weekend and i'll take it to gs on friday bring it back to you on sunday... ummmm 330 sweetness.. ;) :D
we'll dig through the Bentley manual this Friday afternoon and find out! =)

--Andrew

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
robg said:

1. headlights off w/ ignition. i know this now happens on 02 cars equipped w/ auto headlights. BUt this is a basic feature and shoudl be part of all their cars--note i'm just talking about the headlights shutting off w/ the ignition not auto headlights.

2. In-dash CD Changer. Other makes have had this for years- including Fords and Hondas.

3. track time remaining display on CD player. Not so important but almost every other CD player has this basic feature.

4. DVD-based nav. GRanted this is a *little* more complicated but other manufacturers have had this for several years. Can't BMW just use different suppliers if their own suppliers can't make one?
1. My headlights shut off when I turn the car off. Parking lights stay one, though.

2. I agree, though that would require a 1.5 or 2x DIN radio, and BMW seems to like using regular 1-DIN to sorta fit with the trim strip (except for NAV of course)

3. Or ANY time display, for that matter. A friend of mine recently put a Kenwood 919 in his Camry, and I really liked the animated time display. Oh how I miss aftermarket radios...

4. They offer this in Japan already, where a CD-based NAV will just get laughed at. It appears they use the same radio (MD is standard; cassette is no-cost) but use an Alpine-based DVD NAV computer and drive instead of the VDO-Dayton (?) CD one we get here.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Plaz 330i said:

I double checked too, and mine definitely does not go through FM1 then FM2... perhaps this improvement was not made to the stereo with Nav.
That must be the case, good detective work Plaz:thumb:

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
I meant parking lights go off- not headlights. It makes no sense that the parking lights stay on after the ignitions is switched off. If you wanted them on you could turn the switch to the parking position, or you could put the blinker in the left or right position which will turn on the parking lights for that side of the car. It doesn't have anything to do w/ german law either other eurpoean cars shut off all their lights w/ the ignition.

Sorry, for some reason this one pisses me off. I guess because I had an 87 Volvo that did this and my 2001 BMW can't.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.