BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any products on the market that will restore minor sun damage to paint?...My paint is starting to fade and lighten due to the hott ass Vegas sun and I was just wanting to know if there was anything that I could do to avoid a complete paint job...I keep it waxed often but it doesn't seem to be helping too much...Any advise??

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
...I keep it waxed often but it doesn't seem to be helping too much...Any advise??
Exactly how "often" are you waxing? For a dark colored car in Vegas, you should be waxing the car every three to four weeks.

Go to the Meguiars website. They have some stuff that can take care of minor oxidation. Their waxes work fairly well to help darken the dark colors.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Why doesn't wax protect a paint surface in hot climates?

Melting Point (Fracture/evaporation temperatures):
Polymers 350oF (176oC), Acrylic Resin 265 - 285oF (130 - 140°C), Silicone oil 350oF (176oC), Mineral oils 200oF (93oC), Synthetic blends (Carnauba wax / polymers) 200oF (93oC), Carnauba wax 180oF (82oC), and Bee***8217;s wax 130oF (54oC)

In actual practice the high temperatures frequently encountered by vehicles from the radiation causes wax compounds to melt, for example, a painted surfaces exposed to ambient temperatures of 85oF in direct sunlight, will obtain a temperature of 195oF or more. It should be noted that there is a range of temperatures at which melting begins and that the 'melting point' is the end point of that range

Information resource- Relevant Material Data Sheet (MSDS)

You should be using a polymer sealant for this type of environment as its good to
350oF :thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reply:

Thanks...

To answer yer question...I take it and have it detailed @ least once a month and sometimes twice due to the fact that it is quite dusty here...Someone told me that 3M fill n glaze pink and a good wax after may hep restore the color and the shine...Have any of you used this product and where can I find it? Would it help?

·
Registered
958 Posts
For highly oxidized paint try the following;

•Wash the paint surface and dry thoroughly
•Clean the paint with chemical paint cleaner (Klasse All-In-One) using an orange foam pad at speed #4, this may take 2-3 applications
•Once the oxidation has been removed use a decontamination system (Auto International A B C System (http://www.autoint.com)
•Apply an oil rich product to stabilize the paints binder system (3M Imperial Hand Glaze) apply a thick coat and allow to dwell for 12-24 hours before buffing, repeat as necessary until surface has an 'oily' sheen.
•Remove residue and apply a Carnauba wax (Zymol Concourse)
•Try to keep vehicle paint surface away from UV heat radiation
•Keep paint surface waxed on a regular basis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts