BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 645Ci convertible and there is no sound. The stereo works on the screen, but no sound.

I took the amp out and there has been water in there, but I have no idea how much or for for how long as I haven't had the car that long.

Can I clean the board with electronic cleaner? Is there a possibility it will work? Has anyone had success doing this? I don't mind spending a few bucks on a can of cleaner.

Thanks,
Ian
20210610_103103.jpg
20210610_103051.jpg

·
Registered
775 Posts
looks like it could not hurt to try. you may need something more aggressive than at Q-tip to clean that. industrial ones are stronger, or maybe even a very soft toothbrush or similar. some anahydrous alchohol would be cheap to try. basically the stuff you stick in your gas tank to absorb water.

·
Registered
'07 650i convertible
65 Posts
I was in a similar situation with my tuner. I tried to "ultrasonic clean" it. Electronics repair places do this frequently with success. They have expensive ultrasonic cleaners and use the correct chemicals. I have a cheap ultrasonic cleaner and used soap and water. My tuner did not revive. I am going to live without a tuner.

I think that Tau has an excellent suggestion. Or consider buying a used amp from eBay. I don't think that "electronics spray cleaner" will do anything. That white stuff on your board is corrosion, and it will "short" stuff out.

20201025_214749, circuit board cleaning.jpg

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,552 Posts
The problem is that water leads to corrosion...and that corrosion (composed of salts and other conductive compounds) leads to current being conducted across and between circuits. Stuff may be fried. Water gets under the conformal sealants; corssion begins, liftng and separating the sealant layers... contact cleaner is useless, IMO.

Just buy a used one. If I saw a board like that come in, I wouldnt waste my time chasing down issues- one thing here or there, fine, repair it. But large scale board damage like yours, toss it.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,929 Posts
+1

Reactions: Ianmark

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was in a similar situation with my tuner. I tried to "ultrasonic clean" it. Electronics repair places do this frequently with success. They have expensive ultrasonic cleaners and use the correct chemicals. I have a cheap ultrasonic cleaner and used soap and water. My tuner did not revive. I am going to live without a tuner.

I think that Tau has an excellent suggestion. Or consider buying a used amp from eBay. I don't think that "electronics spray cleaner" will do anything. That white stuff on your board is corrosion, and it will "short" stuff out.

View attachment 1033751
I'd hate to buy another amp and find it that wasn't the issue.
Do I gamble, or is it a foregone conclusion it's no good?

·
Registered
'07 650i convertible
65 Posts
My opinion is that its 99.9% likely that your amp doesn't work in the current condition. I think that there's a 1% chance that spray cleaner will fix it. Opinions will differ. I wouldn't take the gamble, and I try to fix almost everything.

·
Registered
E64 650 & F25 X3 3.0D
38 Posts
For the sake of some rubbing alcohol, toothbrush and a can of contact cleaner, I would try cleaning it.
But just be aware with surface mount components, it is difficult if the water has tracked underneath them. It could have already damaged the ICs. Anything is possible though, I have seen worse come back to life.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My opinion is that its 99.9% likely that your amp doesn't work in the current condition. I think that there's a 1% chance that spray cleaner will fix it. Opinions will differ. I wouldn't take the gamble, and I try to fix almost everything.
Thanks for the help.
I'll start looking for another amp. What years and models can I look at, or is it a 6 series part only?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pic with the red mark is mine. The other one is one I can get locally for $220, but it's out of a 5 series.

Any idea if they are interchangeable?
Screenshot_20210610-164002_Gallery.jpg
received_502349394429592.jpeg

·
Registered
775 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,552 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,552 Posts
yeah, a 'target rich environment' as they say... ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
The new or used CCC will need to be programed to the car, by someone that can do this. It might be a good time to purchase all of the needed used parts, & update to the CIC system. The CIC & NBT system parts have been running around the 500 to 700.00 range. This would give you a nice big update, but it will still need to be programmed to the car. BMW will not program used parts, so you will need to find someone locally to do this.

·
Registered
'07 650i convertible
65 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Based on the photo there appears to be a dark spot on the lower right of the board. I would say this unit is shot.
You will need to replace it, and $220 is cheap and will be cheaper than a repair. Also check eBay.

If it is just the amp there is no coding needed. If there is more damage and need more components then you may need some coding.

The 5 series uses the same amp but try to match versions numbers.

Check any other electronics in the area for damage also. Make sure you have the leak fixed before you reinstall.

Reactions: 5ubtle

·
Michael
2,354 Posts
While waiting or the new unit to arrive you could try and clean, but you will have dry joints due to corrosion, if you know how to use a soldering iron and like the smell of the tallow you could go round and re-solder the joints. Remember when the new one goes in or you do succeed with a repair you need to protect the new unit from a repeat of the problem. start by cleaning all of the drains around the car, there is a good DIY on this

1 - 19 of 19 Posts