BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like many of you, I have kids (3.5 and 3 months). The 3.5 year old loves riding in my car, but cannot for the life of her, keep her feet off the back of the seat. It's actually ironic, because in my last car (e46 M3), she couldn't kick the back of the seats because there wasn't enough room for her to extend her legs. I buy a bigger car for her comfort, and look what happens.... dirty seats! :rofl:

So I bought some nifty seat covers, but they require you to take off the headrests so that the posts can go through the top of the cover to keep is secure.

Genius me never even thought of the power headrests as permanent.

So is there a way for these to come off? If not, I'll figure out another way to secure it, but I figured I'd make sure before I go MacGyver. I checked the manual, but couldn't find anything about removing the front (only the rear).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just run the motors until they are as high as possible then simply pull them out. Don't worry, they won't break...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... Something tells me that they must be attached to some sort of guide, but I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Just run the motors until they are as high as possible then simply pull them out. Don't worry, they won't break...

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
which seat back protector did you get? I'm using the Jolly Jumper one...

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2685770&isProductCrossSell=true

and you basically tie it to the posts of the headrests. Unfortunately the top corners flop down and don't stay up like shown in the picture. I'm looking for a second set of seat back protectors so if your is better...

as a side note while i was 'installing' the protectors i didn't realize the headrests were powered! I kept on yanking on them with no luck. finally RTFM and I was shocked to see the head rests are powered. talk about the ultimate in over doing it. save the 1/2 lb in motor weights and give me more speed. :) or let me offset the weight savings with the baby car seats.

and how is there more leg room in the back of the m3? I had a e46 sedan prior to this and find the e60 more roomy...except for the dash area for storage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Chris,

I'm using these.

http://rovergear.net/products/caraccessories/chelsea/

They are awesome, as they wrap around the size of the seat a little bit, and stay put. Unfortunately, I couldn't find them in Toronto, so I had to order them online from the U.S. If your interior is black, they are actually not very noticeable once installed. As you can see from the pictures, the headrest posts actually go through the rings to hold it in place.

I agree with you on the power headrests. Completely unnecessary!

As to the M3, I meant that I have WAY more room in the 535 than I did in the M3. The interesting thing is that I never had to worry about dirt in the M3 cause she couldn't extend her legs enough, whereas in the 5, she can stretch out and kick the seats like crazy!

which seat back protector did you get? I'm using the Jolly Jumper one...

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2685770&isProductCrossSell=true

and you basically tie it to the posts of the headrests. Unfortunately the top corners flop down and don't stay up like shown in the picture. I'm looking for a second set of seat back protectors so if your is better...

as a side note while i was 'installing' the protectors i didn't realize the headrests were powered! I kept on yanking on them with no luck. finally RTFM and I was shocked to see the head rests are powered. talk about the ultimate in over doing it. save the 1/2 lb in motor weights and give me more speed. :) or let me offset the weight savings with the baby car seats.

and how is there more leg room in the back of the m3? I had a e46 sedan prior to this and find the e60 more roomy...except for the dash area for storage.

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
wow that is quite the protector.

i wonder if the headrests are part of the seat. i doubt the headrest could pop off the poles. and given that the poles move up and down they must be secured to the mechanism inside the seat.

i guess if one were to rip the headrests won't be a cheap replacement. but when was the last time a headrest ripped.

and here's the kicker...say if the diameter of the poles is larger than the rings? :) what then! i guess you'll have to get an audi like in the photos. :)

maybe a check in realoem will show if the headrests are part of the seat.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks... Something tells me that they must be attached to some sort of guide, but I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Well, did you try yet? (Or maybe you don't trust me??) ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course I trust you :eeps:

Truth be told, it's just been a terribly busy few days (brother in law's wedding over the weekend), and somehow I haven't found time.

I'll be trying to get them off without breaking expensive motors tomorrow. :yikes:

Well, did you try yet? (Or maybe you don't trust me??) ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Of course I trust you :eeps:

Truth be told, it's just been a terribly busy few days (brother in law's wedding over the weekend), and somehow I haven't found time.

I'll be trying to get them off without breaking expensive motors tomorrow. :yikes:
Krusty, still busy or did you get them off?? Just wondering...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts