Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum. I am looking at a 2005 Z4. Can the roof pump be inspected visually without disassembling anything or removing the top? Look for water stains? I don't see any seal I could move back and look down in there.

I was thinking I could poke the drains from the bottom but not water would only tell me half the story. I want to see if there are any signs the pocket filled up with water and flooded the motor/pump assembly.

Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Its hard to see down there even if you know what you are looking for. Easiest way to check the drain plugs is pour a litre of water down each side, it should flow straight out under the sills in front of the back wheels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well hopefully the seller is ok with that! :)

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
If you push the bottom edge of the head liner back in the area just by the driver's shoulder you can see the pump housing if you use a flashlight. If the pump motor is really corroded there's sometimes some rust stains you can see. Note that you can have a perfectly clean looking motor housing and still have a severely corroded motor.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you push the bottom edge of the head liner back in the area just by the driver's shoulder you can see the pump housing if you use a flashlight.
To be pedantic, the motor sits on the left of the car just in case you are UK based.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you push the bottom edge of the head liner back in the area just by the driver's shoulder you can see the pump housing if you use a flashlight. If the pump motor is really corroded there's sometimes some rust stains you can see. Note that you can have a perfectly clean looking motor housing and still have a severely corroded motor.
Thanks, let me give that a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts