BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we copy MP3s into the hard drive on 2010 X5 35D through USB and play from there instead of connecting ipod to it all the time (no need to burn CDs for that matter)?

If we can, how much of memory we are talking about?

·
Registered
46 Posts
agreed, my 2010 X5d has a 12 gig hard drive. And I have loaded about 4 full albums of mp3's on there no problem. The trick is you can only upload from the USB in the glove compartment, the one in the center console is for playback only.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
agreed, my 2010 X5d has a 12 gig hard drive. And I have loaded about 4 full albums of mp3's on there no problem. The trick is you can only upload from the USB in the glove compartment, the one in the center console is for playback only.
I just burned a back-up disc to a DVD from itunes and popped it into the CD/DVD slot. I found it easier and I was left with a back-up DVD of the music.

My songs all fit onto one DVD... I don't know if it would work if it takes more than one DVD to back-up your itunes.

P.S. If you go into the i-drive until you have the menu of albums/songs, then you press the "Option" button I believe you will get a display of used/unused space on the disc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
that's correct Penguin, that's where i found the info on remaining storage capacity. I need to fire up my old computer, I had all my music stored on there. I rarely buy music anymore, I just listen to sat radio and that keeps me pretty happy. The previous owner left a couple of albums on the HD, unfortunately they aren't my style of music.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I need to fire up my old computer, I had all my music stored on there. I rarely buy music anymore, I just listen to sat radio and that keeps me pretty happy. The previous owner left a couple of albums on the HD, unfortunately they aren't my style of music.
I found that if it is a song I purchased from the i-tunes store and have it in the Apple format, the BMW will not copy it onto the hard disk, apparently due to copy protection coding. But if you convert it into mp3 format before saving/exporting it, the BMW will copy it to the hard disk. This may not be a problem with the newer purchase from i-tunes that are not copy protected.

I find importing the songs via DVD encounters fewer problem than via a USB memory stick. And you do not have to import the DVD all at once -- if you start importing and shut-down the vehicle, it will pick-up importing where it left off when you next restart the vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts