Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am a happy owner of X3 x30i that just turned 3 months old. Coming from 2017 Audi A4 FWD, I simply fell in love with AWD and sportiness of BMW vehicle that still comes despite a title of SAV. I think I finally found a vehicle that I want to keep it more than 5 years and not drain my wallet by changing my car every 2 yrs.

Anyways, the main point of this thread was to ask if my X3 can handle potential snowy weather in Albuquerque, NM? My wife, two 80 lbs dogs and I are going to road trip to NM from Austin, TX during the Christmas week. Being in TX, I never saw legit snow and rarerly witnessed icy/slippery road condition. As I prepare my trip, I read a lot about how frequent road condition in NM can turn icy and snowy due to high altitude, which makes me wonder if X3***8217;s OEM four season tires can handle the road. If not, is ice chain necessary? Any NM residents with X3 here? Or anyone with similar experiences in the past? I would appreciate all of your inputs!!

Thanks in advance!

Harry

·
Registered
12 Posts
If they are all season, you can do it. Just be cautious on bridges if the temp gets under about 20 degrees or if it was wet earlier.

If you have summer tires, absolutely not.

I lived in MN for years. I now live in Denver. The ABSOLUTE worst snow storm I have ever been in was when I was driving from Dallas to Al-ba-turkey.

That was in my Subaru with Mud and Snow tires.

Not trying to scare you. But, be aware that it does blizzard in that area.

Just don't assume that awd means anything when there is no traction.

Best of luck. Call me if you get stuck. I have winter tires and can pull you home!

Ha
Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for your reply Paul! I have four seasons so hopefully all goes well! Here is hoping that I don***8217;t get stranded!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,449 Posts
I live on snowy and icy roads for six months of the year. I have new snow tires. I was just watching a YT snow crash compilation, and again resolved not to expose myself to the other idiots on the road unless absolutely necessary. One can be as careful as one can be but its the other one that gets ya.

Where I live, I can go to the grocery and not see another car. I can do a whole days chores in an hour and see a half-dozen neighbors out on the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts