BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to do a ED on a new 335i but want to order from U.S. with the 230 19" Rims... Can you do that?.
 

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
Joined
·
6,347 Posts
ED cars are only available with same factory options available to US market cars. See BMWNA car configurator.
 

·
Freude am Fahren
Joined
·
19,698 Posts
Kalin said:
You could buy the wheels while you're in Munchen.
Yes, but you can't ship them with/on the car. The car has to be factory spec for shipping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Wow, speed of light. Was just thinking the same thing and created a new thread.

"The car has to be factory spec for shipping." -- so much for that plan (to switch wheels)

Will just look at accessories then ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Jspira said:
Yes, but you can't ship them with/on the car. The car has to be factory spec for shipping.
I don't doubt you Jon, but what's the purpose of that rule?
 

·
Freude am Fahren
Joined
·
19,698 Posts
Gripster said:
I don't doubt you Jon, but what's the purpose of that rule?
I believe mostly related to customs clearance.

The custom house broker can't file the appropriate paperwork for accessories (such as new wheels) - and neither can the car's owner since the owner is involved only by means of a PoA with customs.

There may be other reasons as well but this is what comes to mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Jspira said:
I believe mostly related to customs clearance.

The custom house broker can't file the appropriate paperwork for accessories (such as new wheels) - and neither can the car's owner since the owner is involved only by means of a PoA with customs.

There may be other reasons as well but this is what comes to mind.
Makes sense. I guess otherwise someone could put on solid gold rims worth more than the car and smuggle a whole lot of bling into the country. Of course, it wouldn't drive too well... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,552 Posts
Chris_BayArea said:
Wow, speed of light. Was just thinking the same thing and created a new thread.

"The car has to be factory spec for shipping." -- so much for that plan (to switch wheels)

Will just look at accessories then ..
These 'reasons' are nonsense.

The only reason you can't order 19" OEM rims & tires on your brand new ED car is the profit motive by BMW and BMWNA (to sell you the accessories later to line their pockets). I don't blame them...they're in the money making business....but US Customs shouldn't care if your car has 16 or 19 inch factory rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Silly. It's actually because the wheels don't have orange reflectors on the forward facing side.

What about offering to take a Germany stationed military member out for brat and beers and military post the wheels back to you in the US?
 

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
Joined
·
6,347 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
These 'reasons' are nonsense.

The only reason you can't order 19" OEM rims & tires on your brand new ED car is the profit motive by BMW and BMWNA (to sell you the accessories later to line their pockets). I don't blame them...they're in the money making business....but US Customs shouldn't care if your car has 16 or 19 inch factory rims.
US Customs does care if your car has been modified.

The car is being assessed an import duty based on a BMWNA declared value of your car predetermined by how the car has been (factory) optioned out. You, the Owner, have already prepaid this import duty that was based on the assumed value of a factory configured car. Without the proper paperwork US Customs has no way of determining the value of any additional equipment that may have been installed on the car. If this was an individually imported car it would be not big deal but BMWNA is not set up to customize the paperwork for each ED car and collect any additional import duties.
 

·
Freude am Fahren
Joined
·
19,698 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
The only reason you can't order 19" OEM rims & tires on your brand new ED car is the profit motive by BMW and BMWNA (to sell you the accessories later to line their pockets). I don't blame them...they're in the money making business....but US Customs shouldn't care if your car has 16 or 19 inch factory rims.
You said it yourself: customs shouldn't care if you ORDER 16" or 19" wheels. But they do care that the paperwork matches what is entering the country. There is a cost difference between the two, clearly, and that would need to be reflected in the entry.

You can order the same options on a Euro. Delivery car as you can for a car being delivered in the U.S. In the U.S., if you want 19" wheels, you have to buy them after delivery. Same for Euro. Delivery except you cannot import them with the car.
 

·
Using SPF 45
Joined
·
3,672 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
These 'reasons' are nonsense.

The only reason you can't order 19" OEM rims & tires on your brand new ED car is the profit motive by BMW and BMWNA (to sell you the accessories later to line their pockets). I don't blame them...they're in the money making business....but US Customs shouldn't care if your car has 16 or 19 inch factory rims.
If they wanted the additional profit, they could just as easily charge extra for the optional wheels. On your argument they are giving up, say, $250 in profit on those wheels by letting you buy them with the car. But why wouldn't they just sell them to you as part of the car for an upcharge of $250, as with any option? The additional charge would still be less than buying them separately, and they would keep the original wheels, and wouldn't give up any profit on those.

No, the reason BMW does it this way is because they have decided it makes more businesss sense to limit the options on US cars (maybe because buyers can back out; maybe because it's too costly to provide a larger number of options). And they apply these same rules to ED cars, and are even more inflexible about it because BMW gets stuck with any car someone backs out on, rather than the dealer (many of whom are also reluctant to do special orders).

And customs should care if they're determining whether you've paid the import duty on what you're importing. As another poster points out, they care as much about the difference between 16" and 19" rims as they do about gold versus alloy (well, probably less, because the value difference is less).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,552 Posts
LDV330i said:
US Customs does care if your car has been modified.
The OP asked about ordering 19"ers to come installed on his car...not modifying the car while in Europe. As usual the thread went a bit off message.

Again, it costs a manufacturer practically nothing to make a 19" rim & tire vs 17 or 18. BMW could easily offer more options to the customer but then the accessories business would suffer. Customs schmustoms.
 

·
Freude am Fahren
Joined
·
19,698 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
The OP asked about ordering 19"ers to come installed on his car...not modifying the car while in Europe. As usual the thread went a bit off message.
It's a discussion forum. The second post suggested buying them in Muinch. Hence the customs discussion.
 

·
Using SPF 45
Joined
·
3,672 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
BMW could easily offer more options to the customer but then the accessories business would suffer. Customs schmustoms.
Why would the accessories business be more profitable than adding options?

By not offering them as options, they may also lose business to 3d party accessories. So I don't think the idea is to "force" people to buy them as accessories. It's a question of managing the order process and minimizing risk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Tanning machine said:
Why would the accessories business be more profitable than adding options?
It's a matter of who makes the profit, not how much is made. Most accessories are sold through the dealership, who make a retail profit on them. The profit on options is made by BMW. The accessories biz is to keep the dealers sweet by allowing them to make $$ on more than just the car sales.
 

·
Using SPF 45
Joined
·
3,672 Posts
Gripster said:
It's a matter of who makes the profit, not how much is made. Most accessories are sold through the dealership, who make a retail profit on them. The profit on options is made by BMW. The accessories biz is to keep the dealers sweet by allowing them to make $$ on more than just the car sales.
So you're saying that BMW gives up its profit by ensuring the dealers can make more profit selling accessories? Seems like a pretty bizarre way to run a business.

Why not give them more CSI money? Or give them a kicker on factory options, like Best Buy gives a bonus to employees who sell those overpriced warranties. There are much more efficient ways to accomplish what you say is going on. BMW is not stupid--they'd use those ways if they made sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Tanning machine said:
So you're saying that BMW gives up its profit by ensuring the dealers can make more profit selling accessories? Seems like a pretty bizarre way to run a business.

Why not give them more CSI money? Or give them a kicker on factory options, like Best Buy gives a bonus to employees who sell those overpriced warranties. There are much more efficient ways to accomplish what you say is going on. BMW is not stupid--they'd use those ways if they made sense.
You only get one chance to sell options at the factory. Accessories can be sold anytime you step in to the dealer for a 'free' oil change.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top