Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I set the Sport Mode to only the suspension settings. Its all about being smooth with both steering and throttle. Big adjustments seem cause big reactions and don't go well with towing.

Clay

·
Registered
27 Posts
Clay. As I understand it, you don't use a WDH or a sway brace. The folks at Invisihitch are adamant that I don't use either. I guess I will have to try rebalancing my load. My trailer is no where as large or heavy

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes, you can. Returned from East Coast trip. The X5 is a great tow vehicle. Overall we got about 13.7mpg. Seems to be getting better as we get more miles logged. Maybe it's the no ethanol premium and 93 Octane fuel that is making the difference.

We were treated well at our service in New Hampshire. The dealer took us as a drop in on a busy day. Cost zero. It was covered by the maintenance plan.

The navigation system is challenging and not a bit intuitive. However, our satisfaction is much higher now. Experience with the system made a huge difference.

Seats are breaking in and feel a bit more comfortable. The tray floor mats were money well spent.

We had someone at about every stop ask us about the towing capability of the X5. There are lots of folks who want something more versatile and manageable than the 3/4 ton truck option. From what we heard, the VW/Porche and Jeep/Durango solutions have the most interest.

Looking forward to our next trip.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
EMUK is the manufacturer of the F15 trailer mirrors. They are reported available at European dealers and a google search identifies websites that sell them direct. Don't know if you can order them for shipment to US, but assume it is possible. These look to be an improvement over the Aero 2s, but no real world experience as yet. May or may not try to get some. The Aero2s are working for us. Appreciate hearing your experience if you purchase a set. Pat

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,446 Posts
Thank you very much for the authoritative prohibition on WDH! And its source.

The install manual states to not use a WDH, also to use a ball mount with a 2 1/4" drop/1" rise. Install manual for the BMW receiver and wiring is located here:http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f....rackcdn.com/BMW_X5_trailer_hitch_install.pdf
BMW X5 (E70) Trailer Hitch Guidelines and Cautions Page 1 of 2
These Guideline Sheets should be left in the vehicle (for customer reference) after installation of the Trailer Hitch ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ ... ]
• Do not use weight distribution equipment.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Recent posts are for the older model X5, but even with respect to the F15, BMW does not certify their OEM hitch for Weight Distribution. That is old information and therefore has been discussed prior. Look to other towing threads for more information. To understand why, research the difference in US and European trailer design and regulation. The solution is a USA sourced aftermarket receiver style hitch.

Update on our experience. The X5 is now approaching 50K miles and has served about 40K of that milage towing our travel trailer. A 6000/600lb rig is a nice match for the 2015 X5 x35i.

Moving from the Aero2 to Hensley McKesh mirrors this summer. We'll see how it goes with that style. We also are very satisfied with the Voyager camera we added to the back of the trailer. The 7" monitor considerably increased situational awareness.

Travel safe. Pat

·
Registered
148 Posts
The best hitch is a Hensley Hitch. Guaranteed not to sway. It has made a big difference in my comfort level. It is spendy, but we'll worth it.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Correction - ProPride is the best hitch :) But I agree, Hensley or ProPride are the best

21 - 30 of 30 Posts