BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started with new tires. And boy has it spiraled. Waiting on parts for the oil pan gasket and new seals for the diff. Wont be here for a week. So I ordered a jack stand to support the engine from below. And I’m detailing my subframe. And I’m not sure the car will even run much less run correctly. I dropped the subframe while the rack was still kinda attached...

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Clearly you got problems :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And that’s just the half of it. While the car is on the lift I noticed a little bubbling on the paint at the bottom of the drivers door. If the car runs after I get it back together it’s going to the boat shop.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
And that’s just the half of it. While the car is on the lift I noticed a little bubbling on the paint at the bottom of the drivers door. If the car runs after I get it back together it’s going to the boat shop.
It's a 545i or xxx?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And I just re read my post. I meant body shop not boat shop. Though if it doesn’t run after this it may become a boat anchor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Been there and done that too many times to count. If you enjoy it why not. Lately I have started putting a bright line budget on repairs and cars. Makes it actually more enjoyable and financially sound.

·
Registered
822 Posts
dgjks6, you doomed yourself when you replaced the tires first. Sometimes cars are like an evil woman - just waiting for you to make a commitment before behaving badly.* ;-)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dgjks6, you doomed yourself when you replaced the tires first. Sometimes cars are like an evil woman - just waiting for you to make a commitment before behaving badly.* ;-)
Wait, how do you know my wife?

In case she reads this I’m just kidding

maybe

anyway. Most rust gone. Ordered a new zinc paper and one of the riv nuts was bad so I ordered a riv nut kit.

·
Registered
709 Posts
hold on, thought subframes where aluminum??? but to answer your question, carry on!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Atlas 8000lb hobbyist from greg smith equipment. Price about $2500 but plan for an additional $ 1500 for shipping and install if you don't do it and repair everything broken on the lift. I had a safety pin fail due to a bad weld. they had never seen it before. Greg Smith sent me a new part for free but I had to pay $175 to have it installed (lift had to come apart to replace it). Then the one on the other side broke. Another free part and another $175. If I had to do it again I would just go through the local lift company.

Its easy to get the BMW up in the front to work on the suspension because of the center jacking point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts