BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 750 LI and I can't seem to keep the A/C off. I will turn it off, shut down the car, and when I return the darn thing will come back on with the settings I had BEFORE I turned it off. I thought the car might be smart enough to see a pattern of my leaving it off consistently over and over again but that doesn't seem to work either. Is there anyway to manually force the car to leave the A/C off?

·
The Entertainment Guru
11,116 Posts
Negative.

Trust me. I've beat this subject down with my dealer. I guess BMW figures owners want continuous A/C and never roll with windows down lol.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
:dunno:+1 - AC is always on start up and was designed this way. however, once in a while when my AC is off, my car will decide for me that i am hot and turn on the AC all by itself

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
It was designed this way. Most cars have been doing this for years. The idea is for the people who never use the a/c system. This way, when you start the car on, the compressor kicks on so the oil/refrigerant will flow through the system. The old manual climate control systems were the same way. Remember when you had to slide a bar from "off" to "a/c", then "heat" was the last option? Well, it was the same theory. That way, when you went from "off" you had to go through the "a/c" setting first, even if you wanted to go to "heat" or "vent". Even though you may slide the lever right through "a/c", it was enough to move the oil/refrigerant just a little bit, helping to extend the life of your compressor.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was designed this way. Most cars have been doing this for years. The idea is for the people who never use the a/c system. This way, when you start the car on, the compressor kicks on so the oil/refrigerant will flow through the system. The old manual climate control systems were the same way. Remember when you had to slide a bar from "off" to "a/c", then "heat" was the last option? Well, it was the same theory. That way, when you went from "off" you had to go through the "a/c" setting first, even if you wanted to go to "heat" or "vent". Even though you may slide the lever right through "a/c", it was enough to move the oil/refrigerant just a little bit, helping to extend the life of your compressor.
Wow, I never would have thought of that. Thanks for passing it on and thanks to everyone for confirming that you cannot indeed turn off the A/C long-term.

·
President
8,099 Posts
:dunno:+1 - AC is always on start up and was designed this way. however, once in a while when my AC is off, my car will decide for me that i am hot and turn on the AC all by itself
i had my control unit with all the buttons replaced because it was doing that

doesnt do it any more

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine always seems like the fan is running a little bit even when it is off! If I listen towards the passenger side, I can hear it. it is driving me nuts,

·
Registered
872 Posts
Mine always seems like the fan is running a little bit even when it is off! If I listen towards the passenger side, I can hear it. it is driving me nuts,
YA!!! WTF is that???:dunno:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
i had my control unit with all the buttons replaced because it was doing that
doesnt do it any more
no chance i'll ever get it fixed. hard enough to get the dealer to replicate a problem that happens on a daily basis. the ac kicking on by itself while driving only happens once every few months. the car will be an antique by the time they experience it. i don't need the tech running up miles on the odometer just so he can experience the ac coming on. i guess i'll just have to live with sticking out my hand and pushing the button a few times a year.

Mine works fine, if i turn it off it will be off until i turn it back on.
+1 - If I turn it off, it is off again when I start the car next time. If I turn it on, it is on next time I start the car... seems to remember the last position as expected. :dunno:
maybe it was something new (and crappy) that was implemented for 04+ cars :dunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem...the on/off switch was replaced (common problem I was told). Works great now, for over a year!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts