BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from Rallye Motors my dealership and bought an oil filter and 7 quarts of 5w 30. I couldn't believe it. $5.32 a quart!!! That's rediculous. Or is it not? The filter was $11.31 which didn't surprise me. The only reason I bought BMW synthetic is because I have read that it really doesn't matter what synthetic one uses as long as you stay consistent with one brand. Now since my car only has 7000 miles on it, I will be getting the free service at the dealership and of course they will be useing the BMW synthetic. Some people say to go Mobil 1. I have no problem with that but I really don't want to bring mobil 1 to the dealership when I don't have to pay for it. But boy.... do I feel used. :tsk:

·
Registered
561 Posts
:dunno: I paid just over $3/quart for the BMW stuff at the local dealer with the CCA discount. Sounds like your dealer is making mucho profit...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Too much $$$

I have read/heard that BMW oil is Castrol Syntec rebranded. Its cheaper than $5, found Castrol to be between $2-3 a quart.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am pissed...

Pissed at myself for not doing my homework and calling around. I just called two other dealerships near me and they saidy $3.20 a quart. Now, I feel like bring that stuff back and getting my money back. Do you think that they will let me? Or maybe I should not even dwell about this and suck it up.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Cliff330i said:
Just got back from Rallye Motors my dealership and bought an oil filter and 7 quarts of 5w 30. I couldn't believe it. $5.32 a quart!!! That's rediculous. Or is it not? The filter was $11.31 which didn't surprise me. The only reason I bought BMW synthetic is because I have read that it really doesn't matter what synthetic one uses as long as you stay consistent with one brand. Now since my car only has 7000 miles on it, I will be getting the free service at the dealership and of course they will be useing the BMW synthetic. Some people say to go Mobil 1. I have no problem with that but I really don't want to bring mobil 1 to the dealership when I don't have to pay for it. But boy.... do I feel used. :tsk:
I see that you live in LI, don't you? :thumb:

When I lived in NY and was on pretty much every dealer's wait list for an E46 M3, Rallye was the one asking the highest premiums for the E46 M3's available: 11K Coupe/15K Convertible... :yikes: Well, I guess you could expect that from a dealer that has $300k Bentley's sitting in the showroom/lot... :bigpimp:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sheesh.

Yes, I live in Manhasset. The last time I will be doing business over there. I have to wait 6 weeks to get an appt. also to get a few things fixed. This dealership sucks straight up.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Whether or not you return it would depend on how much you value your time more than anything else.

Could you be making $100/hr during the hour or so it takes you to return it? Or could you be spending time with your kids or SO that you normally don't have?

Although I'm cheap, personally I'd swallow iteh $12 or whatever it is and move on with the added wisdom of knowing not to buy it there again. :D

--SONET

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sonet

Sonet, after reading that, I have to say that was one of the most rational and level headed responses I have ever received. Your right, it's not worth the time. No, I don't have kids, and I will not be making any money durring that time spent. I am psychology Ph.D student so I have a load of school work I must complete which is most important. Maybe you should apply to the doctoral program! :thumb: -Cliff

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
SONET said:
Whether or not you return it would depend on how much you value your time more than anything else.

Could you be making $100/hr during the hour or so it takes you to return it? Or could you be spending time with your kids or SO that you normally don't have?

Although I'm cheap, personally I'd swallow iteh $12 or whatever it is and move on with the added wisdom of knowing not to buy it there again. :D

--SONET
Smart advise! I like your style Sonet! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Someone here got a filter free somewhere... hmmm

Anyway, I buy from Circle BMW for about $6 each and Mobil 1 less than the $$ you quoted at your local parts store... hope the info helps you in the future....

BTW... you didnt get totally ripped.

·
I AM CANADIAN!
373 Posts
Oppertunity costs consideration :D

SONET said:

--SONET

1 - 13 of 13 Posts