Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was close to the BMW dealership today (by coincidence, really!), and I thought I'd stop by and show my kids what Daddy's new toy was going to look like.

I've got a 330ci Topaz Blue with //M-Sport package on order. It's at stage 150, and is slated for a late June delivery. The waiting's pretty difficult, but I'm dealin'. Barely.

So, on the lot is a Black Sapphire 330ci + //MSport, and it may have the premium package as well (something I didn't order). After ogling the car, and chatting with my sales guy for a few minutes (who was awesome with my kids, btw. Very cool), we left.

I got to thinking a bit later (after the dealership closed for the day, ), that maybe I should just buy the 330ci on the lot - the black was *really* nice. I'd like the blue, but my last car (A celica) was blue, so maybe I'm ready for a change. My buddies E46 M3 was black, and it was suh-weet.

So, is it possible to switch vehicles at this stage in the game? I've got a deposit down (obviously), but I"m not sure how willing they'd be to switch for a car already on the lot. My concern is the car I've ordered doesn't really have the standard configuration (no PP), and it my be harder for them to move.

What does everyone think? Will they go for it, or will they want me to take the car I've ordered?

The blue would be sooo nice, but the black is hot! Then again, black is hard to keep clean; but only a bit more than the blue...

:dunno:

I'm sooo confused...

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Personally I wouldn't buy the car off the lot unless I really *needed* the car (which I do now, but I am waiting anyway!). People abuse the hell out of them when they test drive them. Besides, you'll probably appreciate the car more if you wait for it. ;)

Good luck

--SONET

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
How different is Saphire Black from regular black? Gotta get that M-sport pkg... the black headliner is amazing.

·
My wife drives the 325i
996 Posts
Suggestion:

1. Ask yourself how you would feel if you were able to purchase the black car. Would you have second thoughts about "cancelling the original order?" Would you have buyer's remorse or worry about previous test drives in the car?

2. Ask yourself what you consider to be a reasonable price to purchase the black car? You can always make an offer and justify cancelling the order if the price matches your expectations.

Ultimately, you should make the decision based upon your preferences and ability to satisfy your personal needs. Although we can offer some suggestions, you may not be satisfied if you defer the final decision to someone else.

Just my thoughts and suggestions. . .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SONET said:
Personally I wouldn't buy the car off the lot unless I really *needed* the car (which I do now, but I am waiting anyway!). People abuse the hell out of them when they test drive them. Besides, you'll probably appreciate the car more if you wait for it. ;)

Good luck

Yeah, I know how I tested the first 330ci I drove. It was sold about 3 days afterwards.

How the car's been driven was a consideration; unfortunately, I don't know how many km's are on the car. I'll find out Monday when I call.

As for appreciating it more, you're right here!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JPinTO said:
How different is Saphire Black from regular black? Gotta get that M-sport pkg... the black headliner is amazing.
The saphire is the mettalic black. Very nice.

Yeah, I like the MSport package a lot. I could do without the black cube trim tho. Looks a little strange...everything else tho is awesome...

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Speaking of test driving a 330ci... I never have. I went to several dealers in the area, but none of them had any on the lot. I finally broke down and drove a 330i just to see how the coupe might feel. I was sold!

I'm sure I'll love the car when it arrives, but it is really unlike me to buy something this way. Did anyone else here order like this?

--SONET

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Perhaps the waiting anticipation and the fact that you saw a similar is persuading you into buying something you may regret later?:D I think both are good choices. Personally I don't like sapphire black (b/c of the green specks). I prefer carbon black over sapphire. For me, PP is a waste of money because I would not get leather and the other items (except moonroof). But if you feel that your priorities favor these options, go for it:) . You can't go wrong with either one, but I would wait for the car, it makes it more worthwhile too:thumb:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KP said:
Perhaps the waiting anticipation and the fact that you saw a similar is persuading you into buying something you may regret later?:D I think both are good choices. Personally I don't like sapphire black (b/c of the green specks). I prefer carbon black over sapphire. For me, PP is a waste of money because I would not get leather and the other items (except moonroof). But if you feel that your priorities favor these options, go for it:) . You can't go wrong with either one, but I would wait for the car, it makes it more worthwhile too:thumb:
Well, the wait is killing me. I ordered the car on April 11th, and don't expect to take delivery until the end of June. Man, that's a long wait. 'Course, my buddy waited two years for his M3, so 2 1/2 months isn't all that long in the big scheme of things.

My ordered car didn't include the PP either. I wear shorts a lot in the summer, and the thought of continually sticking to the seat didn't really interest me :D

Sapphire black has green specs in the paint? I didn't even notice.

Ah well, maybe I should wait. But the thought of being able to get behind the wheel next week is rather enticing, don't you think?

I wonder what they've gotscheduled for delivery in the next few weeks - maybe I could grab one before any test pilots get behind the wheel?

Nah, better wait

Arrrrggggghhhhhhh :confused: :dunno: :confused:

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Andawyr said:

The saphire is the mettalic black. Very nice.

Yeah, I like the MSport package a lot. I could do without the black cube trim tho. Looks a little strange...everything else tho is awesome...
It's not Cosmos Black is it? Cosmos black is also metallic.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
JPinTO said:
It's not Cosmos Black is it? Cosmos black is also metallic.
No cosmos black is more gray-ish/blue-ish. Saphire is more darker.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
JPinTO said:
JP, I think you're getting old. Buy a $5k package for the headliner?!?! :lmao:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I was lucky enough to buy mine off the lot too. Only 5 mi on it. It was stuffed way in the back where no one could get to it amongst other cars on the lot. I didn't care about color. I was prepared to order a car that day but this car had SP, PP, & Xenons which I wanted anyway. Had the CWP and Step too though I really wanted only the heated seats and a manual. I got a decent deal and 5 days later drove it home. :D

I had a six year wait as I drove a 328is in 1996 and regretted not getting a BMW ever since. I think I'm a lifer BMW addict now. :thumb:

·
Hated by hater haters
1,652 Posts
ObD said:
I had a six year wait as I drove a 328is in 1996 and regretted not getting a BMW ever since. I think I'm a lifer BMW addict now. :thumb:
I waited 20 yrs for my BMW 323i. I drove a friend's 2002 when I was 20 (I had a '72 Datsun 240Z at the time) and fell in love with the bimmer. I was 40 when I got my 323i.

And tomorrow I take delivery of my new bimmer at 4PM: 2002 530iA Sapphire Black/Black, PP, SP, CWP, Xenon, Sunshade.

My wife has already taken over my 323i, so I'm driving a 325iT loaner.

It'll be a tough workday for me.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Good things come to those who wait.

The wait does kill you, but in the end you get what you ordered. When I was waiting for my 1998 328i, I almost bought a Green 328i off the lot (my ordered car was White). Thank goodness I didn't. Seven weeks later, my car was here and I was very happy I waited (and the Green started to look dated to me).

By the way, I almost bought a standard Carrera while looking for the Porsche last month (I was convinced there was nothing better out there). My friends told me to wait.... and a Turbo materialized at the same price as the base Carrera! It pays to wait.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts