BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jon,

As you know, i placed an order with a local dealer and we're now sitting at 112 with week 43 production date 10/25..

i went by a nissan dealer and i never really liked the way the 350z looked but the silver one they had was not bad at all.. and it's hard to resist 287hp vs. 184 in the 325Ci.. anywho, also with the g35coupe coming out soon.. my search gets a bit more complicated.

so my point is that i am still trying to decide on which car i want to get and will need to cancel my order..

my question is, is it a big deal if i cancel now? does it give the dealer a lot trouble if i cancel at 112? i hate to have to put my salesguy through any unnecessary trouble but on the other hand, i don't want him to pretend like it's a big deal and give me a hard time about giving me back my deposit (which i made on a credit card..)..

also, i noticed in one of your threads, that you had a couple of 325Ci customer orders for october build... last time i talked to you, you weren't even sure if you would have november allocations.. were you able to trade? if i do decide on the bimmer after all, i'll be sure to have cutter in the running..

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,590 Posts
Hey Mattew,

You know (as it afffects me anyway), an order cancellation
is no big deal really, especially if it's still in 112 status,
meaning that I can go back in and reconfigure the
specifications...

The only exception would be a "special order", such as the
special paints that you saw posted. If those are cancelled,
we still have to buy those cars with the extra paint charges.

Yes, I was able to trade for some 325Ci slots! :)

Matt - if you decide to go with the BMW, I'd love to have
your deal. As I said, I will beat that price from you know who...

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Hey Msg . . . a car is not forever . . . you buy the Bimmer now and buy a Z or G35C later . . .

I think the New Z and the G35 Coupe are awesome cars but I decided to stick with the BMW for a few reasons.

One of the main reasons is that you sit low in the Z & G35C and I like how the 325/330, you can sit in an upright seating position while still maintaining the sportiness and driveability of a sports car/coupe.
It's just more comfortable and it also makes the car more livable for everyday use.

Plus there is something about that German feel that is soooooo solid that it makes it tough to get a Japanese car. The German feel is incredible . . . if you never had a german car then maybe it's not a big factor for you but after having this 'feeling' for the past 2 years, it made the choice pretty obvious to me.

Just so you know, I've had many Japanese cars, in fact my wife's car is a Honda Odyssey and I just sold off an Eclipse Spyder so my opinion really isn't biased.

·
Grabastic Slug
356 Posts
Msg, you may want to change your "what I drive" profile if you are committed to cancelling your order. If you haven't, you may want to think again.

I note that you are talking about the 325, and I have to disclose that I have never driven that car. I do have a little experience comparison shopping the 330 against the 2003 Maxima and the 350Z. For what it's worth, a few thoughts:

On paper, looking at just the engine, it's hard to imagine that the BMW can hold its own againse either of the Nissans. However, the BMWs are rear-wheel drive, and the Nissans are front wheel drive. Both of the Nissans have enough torque that you really feel the front end lift as you accelerate. That affects the handling, far too much for my tastes.

Even with less horsepower, the 330 (and I assume the 325) was a more impressive car. The inline six is known for its smooth power delivery, and I can attest to its relative smoothness compared to the 350Z. The Z was very choppy at high revs, unlike the BMW which really felt like it was hitting its stride in that range.

Handling was another aspect of the BMW that I preferred over the Nissans. Both of the Nissans had more lean in turns (espacially the Maxima) that the BMW. Perhaps its the suspension, perhaps the weight distribution, perhaps the wheel base. Whatever the reason, the BMW handled better than the Maxima in the turns, and I think a little better than the 350Z.

Also, there are other standard features on the 325 that are options on the Z, and many optional features on the 325 that aren't available on the Z. You may want to check carpoint.com and use the comparison features to see the two side-by-side.

Finally, price. The base 350Z is about the same price as the base 325i. The 300 is obviously more, but you also get a lot more performance and standard features.

Good luck with you decision.

p.s. I should also disclose that my wife drives a Honda, so I have a little baseline on their performance & quality proposition too.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
kneebiters said:

On paper, looking at just the engine, it's hard to imagine that the BMW can hold its own againse either of the Nissans. However, the BMWs are rear-wheel drive, and the Nissans are front wheel drive. Both of the Nissans have enough torque that you really feel the front end lift as you accelerate. That affects the handling, far too much for my tastes.
One quick correction to your post, the 350Z is rear wheel drive . . .

·
3,365 Posts
Some people test drive various cars and like many of them. Then some people get into a BMW and it is all over. For the competition, that is. I suspect that many of us felt this way with our bimmers, but I guess that doesn't happen to everyone, including the thread-starter. C'est la vie. It's all good. He should just make sure he knows what he wants because I can see the possibility of him driving down the road in his Z eyeballing that 3er everytime and thinking, "why didn't I get that car?" If there is any chance of regret, think long and hard.

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's mgs, not msg!! :p

anywho, one thing i didn't like about the bimmer (besides the power deficit) was its vague shifter (manual tranny). i heard this is a 'german' thing.. and while i'm not sure if that's true, the mercedes i test drove also had very vague shifting as well (more so than the bimmer)..

anywho, my dealer has already refunded my deposit, but it seems like he didn't change the configuration (just kept the options the way i had it).. i don't know if he's planning on me changing my mind cuz it's going to be pretty hard to sell 'my' car. (as it has no sunroof and it's manual).

actually, i had a question for jon, i checked today and i got a vin and it's now in 150 but the guy on the phone said it's 'stock' not customer sold. ok, if i do make up my mind on the bimmer can i 'buy' this car while it's being made or in transit? or is it too late for that?

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,590 Posts
mgs333 said:

actually, i had a question for jon, i checked today and i got a vin and it's now in 150 but the guy on the phone said it's 'stock' not customer sold. ok, if i do make up my mind on the bimmer can i 'buy' this car while it's being made or in transit? or is it too late for that?
Until somebody claims that prize, it is available...

I could even "dealer trade" for that specific car...

;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.