Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to do my own valve cover gaskets and timing cover gaskets. I have mostly figured out most of it (many thanks to forum posts and YouTube videos).

However I am stuck and cannot continue until I figure out how to access the top bolt on the driver side (US) timing cover. There is a Transmission Oil Cooler Line that is run right in front of the bolt (see attached photos for the bolt and line). The line is rigid, and I don***8217;t want to break anything. I cannot see any obvious way to move that line, and there is not enough room for a socket. How am I supposed to get access to the bolt?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,328 Posts
There is a bolt on the side of the head that holds the oil cooler lines. Remove the bolt, then slide the lines over to get to the bolt. If needed, pull the oil cooler out the top to get the lines out of the way. The bolt behind the alternator is usually the hard one to access. The belt has to be removed to slide the alternator over, to get to the bolt. Be very careful with the Vanos Solenoid wire as they become very brittle, & break easily. Also change all 4 o-rings why the solenoids are out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts