Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to start my car. Difficulty:

The car is locked

The key won't open the doors remotely all of a sudden

The driver's side door does not open from the inside or the outside

The ignition cylinder just spins freely and won't start the car

What do I do? I was gonna break the window and rip the ignition out with a dent puller, but I don't even know if that would work and I really don't want to break the car anymore than it already is :(

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,902 Posts
If the car is locked, how did you get in to try the ignition switch?

Make sure the key is fully inserted into the ignition. Try the key in the trunk lock to see if the electrical unlock will work (90 deg CCW).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If the car is locked, how did you get in to try the ignition switch?
I unlocked the car, and tried to start it. The cylinder broke and the car stayed in accessory mode even after I removed the key. I disconnected the battery so the car wouldn't die but left it unlocked. Later, I locked the car manually and shut the doors. When I tried to unlock it again (after connecting the battery) nothing happened.

Make sure the key is fully inserted into the ignition. Try the key in the trunk lock to see if the electrical unlock will work (90 deg CCW).
The key was fully inserted. The truck thing doesn't work either.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I have an idea, but haven't actually tried it myself.

Assuming you cannot open your hood ......... but can reach under the side of the car.....

Under the driver's side of the car, right near the bottom of the firewall, you should find a red positive cable that goes up to the starter (and from there the positive jump terminal on the top of the engine).

(Pic courtesy of cn90)

If you have a friend with a car and jumper cables, you can attach the positive jumper clip to the positive cable bolt shown, and the negative clip to the chassis or an engine bracket etc. If the clip won't grab the positive bolt cable, you only need to touch the clip to it for a few secs, enough to try to the key.

This will give your car battery power, so you can try the remote on your key again to unlock the door or trunk. (Make sure your car key has a good battery ...)

* DON"T try to start the car this way, as you don't have a battery connected in the trunk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.