Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. 2007 E60 550i with Comfort Access.

My car is currently locked and I cannot get inside. I cannot open my car with the fob. Tried replacing the battery (tried 2 batteries) with no luck. My manual key that slides out of the fob does NOT open the drivers door OR the trunk. I'm at a loss. Any ideas? I'm thinking a dead battery, but without the manual key opening the door I cant access the battery.

Can someone explain to me how the manual key should work? The key doesn't turn within the lock cylinder in the door or the trunk. Should it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
Yes it should. Are you original purchaser?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a way to open the hood to charge the battery without opening the car doors? There must be an override somewhere...

·
Registered
71 Posts
My manual key that slides out of the fob does NOT open the drivers door OR the trunk. I'm at a loss. Any ideas? I'm thinking a dead battery, but without the manual key opening the door I cant access the battery.

Can someone explain to me how the manual key should work? The key doesn't turn within the lock cylinder in the door or the trunk. Should it?

Manual key has no battery. It’s supposed to be a backup in case all else fails. I don’t know why it wouldn’t work on the driver’s door. (My car doesn’t have CA but it shouldn’t matter for this purpose.)

IIRC the trunk is different: The manual key is supposed to trigger the electric actuator just like the fob or the button inside the car, but if turned harder (maybe opposite direction?) turns the cylinder with a cable that opens the trunk mechanically. BUT that cable can break, making the trunk inaccessible — which really sucks considering the battery is also in the trunk (ask me how I know).

If the key doesn’t physically turn within the cylinders at all, sounds like it’s the wrong key. Maybe PO replaced the key(s) and programmed the car to recognize them, but without having the manual key(s) cut as well? NOT cool, at least if they didn’t tell you about it. Just a theory.

OakTone
2006 E60 550i

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts
Now I know how to steal a BMW, swap valet keys

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured that is what is going on. What is my next step here? I can't have the car towed because it's in park. Is it possible to have a key made from a vin number?

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,946 Posts
Yes, if you don't need the fob part I think it's something like $50 and your vin, maybe proof of ownership, and BMW will make a new plastic valet key.

It's also possible a locksmith can pick it open.

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,190 Posts
Have you tried searching here?
It's not the first time this has happened.
Your situation sounds sounds pretty odd though.
You should also be concerned why the car battery went dead so fast with no warning.
You can find fob and manual key usage here with pictorials.
The fob batteries can be drained already even when purchased new.
No second fob or valet key or wallet key?
You have CA what happens when you grab the door handle?

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
Is it possible to have a key made from a vin number?
That is exactly how new keys are ordered from BMW. They have your manual key code (for cutting a new blade) as well as the ISN (individual serial number) that is written to the CAS (car access system) modules that communicate with each other to allow starting of the vehicle...as well as the rolling code for the central locking system.

You will need to provide proof of ownership as well as the last 7 digits of the car's VIN. Your local BMW dealership can order a new key for you.

Have you tried spraying some lubricant into the driver's door exterior lock cylinder? Perhaps it is seized from never being used during most of the car's life. I would highly recommend spraying some lubricant into the lock cylinder...let it penetrate for a good 15-30 minutes...then make sure you insert the emergency key blade all the way into the lock cylinder and try turning the key counter clockwise (this is usually the UNLOCK direction) and see if you can manually unlock the car. This will give you an opportunity to hook up jumper cables or a battery charger to the jump start terminals in the engine bay to power up the vehicle.

Does the e60 have a trunk lock cylinder? If it does, then try the same principle that you did on the driver's door lock exterior cylinder. Once the trunk is open, make your way to the battery and hook up your battery charger (or carefully connect jumper cables) then try the remote fob UNLOCK button. This should supply enough power to unlock the doors...which then can give you access to the engine bay jump start terminals to charge the car's battery or jump start the car. DO NOT CHARGE the battery directly...you do not want to bypass the IBS (intelligent battery sensor).

From the TIS: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...locking-security-functions/remote-key/X9G0SGM

Emergency key

The emergency key is a basic mechanical spare key that is inserted into the housing of the remote-control unit. The emergency key does not include transponder functionality for the EWS electronic vehicle immobiliser.

The emergency key can only be used to unlock and lock the door locks manually in the event that the central locking system fails, etc. It can be used to unlock and lock the lock barrels on doors and tailgate as well as the lockable storage compartment.

Emergency operation

In the event of a failure in the central locking system, the vehicle can be unlocked and locked manually using the emergency key. (lock barrels on door and boot lid/tailgate as well as the locking storage compartment)

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts
Good point on seldom used lock cylinders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts