BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
German freak
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to cancel a NAV destination? You can't!! :mad: (At least, not that I've discovered)

EXAMPLE:

I set my NAV to "Home" position while out of town in an unfamiliar area. Once I was on the highway to a point where I was comfortable guiding myself home, I want to end the guidance. No can do, unless you pull over and completely shut down. In a benz, it takes 2 clicks to cxl. Is this lame or what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
SantaBimmer said:
Has anyone tried to cancel a NAV destination? You can't!! :mad: (At least, not that I've discovered)

EXAMPLE:

I set my NAV to "Home" position while out of town in an unfamiliar area. Once I was on the highway to a point where I was comfortable guiding myself home, I want to end the guidance. No can do, unless you pull over and completely shut down. In a benz, it takes 2 clicks to cxl. Is this lame or what?
try voice command "stop guidance" :thumbup:
 

·
Rocket Scientist
Joined
·
1,455 Posts
Steve12M3 said:
try voice command "stop guidance" :thumbup:
Exactly!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,650 Posts
Also,

when the nav view is in the left part of the screen, bring up the icons to the left, one of them is to cancel guidance.
 

·
German freak
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
go to the left side of the screen and its the thing with the arrow pointing to the dot

:)
 

·
German freak
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kzang said:
LOL If you actually read the manual you would know this.
If you need to read a manual to know how to turn something off, there's something wrong. It should be intuitive. The arrow pointing to a dot gives no feedback other than removing the map lines to the route. Similar to the route guidance audio mute, it appeared to just remove the route trace lines without stopping the navigation to destination.

I can see reading the manual to understand AWD or hill descent control, but NAV should be 100% intuitive. I'm not a dip when it comes to electronics & gadgets - haven't found a clock radio or VCR yet that I couldn't figure out. AND... on the benz nav, it prompts "are you sure you want to cancel route navigation?" I could EASILY see someone hitting that little ->. icon and not realizing they just cancelled their guidance (about 20 miles down the road)! Like I said in the first post... knowing the answer I still believe: It's lame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
whatcha talkin about?

pressing the arrow pointing to the dot doesnt just clear the line, it ends my guidance? :dunno:

Abe
 

·
Spartacus_33
Joined
·
813 Posts
I don't think you'll find anyone here that will defend BMW's NAV. It just SUCKS, compared to other manufacturers.

It WILL get you there (if you have an address)....... but other features are very primitive.

This is what I mean by primitive.

Buy a Tom Tom next time and save the $1500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Spartacus_33 said:
I don't think you'll find anyone here that will defend BMW's NAV. It just SUCKS, compared to other manufacturers.

It WILL get you there (if you have an address)....... but other features are very primitive.

This is what I mean by primitive.

Buy a Tom Tom next time and save the $1500.
You seemed happy with the NAV six months ago. Having said this, the BMW Nav is light years behind that on my 2 year old Lexus LS430.
 

·
German freak
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
revlis240 said:
whatcha talkin about?

pressing the arrow pointing to the dot doesnt just clear the line, it ends my guidance? :dunno:

Abe
Re-read my post. It does end the guidance, but the ONLY indication is the route line going away. Nothing else changes. It would be VERY easy to terminate guidance (inadvertantly hit the wrong little icon while driving) and not know it. You can also mute the audio, with the same feedback. Same as when you truly DO end guidance - no feedback other than the line going away.

How about this -- when you're looking for a restaurant, the default and only sort capability seems to be by distance. Can you find a restaurant by spelling the name? If so, please tell me how.

And yes, I concur with the previous poster that BMW's NAV is WAAAAAAY behind the curve. I bought a GARMIN 330C for my Harley Road Glide. AWESOME!!! No instructions necessary, very clear, everything simple and intuitive (as it should be while you're driving)!!! $399.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,916 Posts
SantaBimmer said:
If you need to read a manual to know how to turn something off, there's something wrong. It should be intuitive. The arrow pointing to a dot gives no feedback other than removing the map lines to the route. Similar to the route guidance audio mute, it appeared to just remove the route trace lines without stopping the navigation to destination.

I can see reading the manual to understand AWD or hill descent control, but NAV should be 100% intuitive. I'm not a dip when it comes to electronics & gadgets - haven't found a clock radio or VCR yet that I couldn't figure out. AND... on the benz nav, it prompts "are you sure you want to cancel route navigation?" I could EASILY see someone hitting that little ->. icon and not realizing they just cancelled their guidance (about 20 miles down the road)! Like I said in the first post... knowing the answer I still believe: It's lame.
Well I had the same issues you did, but I went to my manual and learned how to cancel or turn off the route. :dunno:

If I can't figure it out on my own I read :)

And I agree with everyone here, compared to Acura, Toyota, Infiniti, BMW is light years away in their Navigation choice.
 

·
German freak
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SantaBimmer said:
How about this -- when you're looking for a restaurant, the default and only sort capability seems to be by distance. Can you find a restaurant by spelling the name? If so, please tell me how.
Can this be done? for example: I'm in an unfamiliar town & want to find a Chart House.

Best I can tell, all you can do is start scrolling through restaurants, sorted by distance. If the restaurant you want is 7 miles away in a big city, you'll scroll all day before you find it.

Maybe the readers can go through the manual and find the answer...... :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
EVERY japanese nav will let you do that but bmw wont. the only way to sort is by catagory, and then scroll by distance, and then be disappointed to find that charthouse doesnt even exist as a poi..


youre better off texting google the name of the poi and city, and google will reply with an address which u can enter into the nav. this is my solution anyway

Abe
 

·
Spartacus_33
Joined
·
813 Posts
DD694 said:
You seemed happy with the NAV six months ago. Having said this, the BMW Nav is light years behind that on my 2 year old Lexus LS430.
I use NAV all the time.. for the most part... I am happy with it, I've just caved it to all the limitations and have dealt with it. It gets me where I need to go just fine.

I mostly got NAV for my ED and for resale. I figured in 5 years, if you didn't have NAV in your car, it might be harder to sell. Now with Tom Toms and Garmins, getting so cheap, (and being so superior) .. it might not be such a great selling point.

I didn't buy the car for the whistles and bells (such as NAV, Logic 7...). I bought it because I love the way the car performs. :D
 

·
German freak
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Garmin makes complete OEM avionics for aircraft -- I'm sure they're not the only choice. Why do the autos insist on making their own inferior GPS units? Or do they? Who makes BMW's GPS (or, the whole i-drive for that matter)??? In other words, who's responsible for this piece of crap! LOL!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,327 Posts
SantaBimmer said:
Garmin makes complete OEM avionics for aircraft -- I'm sure they're not the only choice. Why do the autos insist on making their own inferior GPS units? Or do they? Who makes BMW's GPS (or, the whole i-drive for that matter)??? In other words, who's responsible for this piece of crap! LOL!!
Siemens VDO makes the BMW I-Drive/Nav unit. While it may have some UI issues relative to the Garmin, I wouldn't call it inferior.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,327 Posts
revlis240 said:
EVERY japanese nav will let you do that but bmw wont. the only way to sort is by catagory, and then scroll by distance, and then be disappointed to find that charthouse doesnt even exist as a poi..

youre better off texting google the name of the poi and city, and google will reply with an address which u can enter into the nav. this is my solution anyway

Abe
If chain resturants are your thing, the BMW Nav is probably not the best. If you have a newer Blackberry, Google works well directly from the Browser.
 

·
German freak
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Granted, the actual navigation from point A to point B is spot on. BUT... the interface flat out sucks. (NOT just restaurants)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top