BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow BMW users,

I drive F30, 2013 BMW Active hybrid 3. and currently getting an OBD II Fault Code P1AA5 on my car. Has anybody ever seen this fault code before? please let me know if anyone has any information on it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got this same code yesterday, also 2013 AH 3. 57,000 miles. Starting to look like a fault with this particular model at about this age/mileage. Did either of you other posters discover what P1AA5 indicates? What was the fix and the cost?

[Edited to reflect actual current mileage when fault code appeared]

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,861 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Khammack, those codes are for a Mitsubishi Outlander I believe, and probably not applicable to BMWs.

My dealer diagnosed the code as indicating misfires on five cylinders. "Performed test plan and ISTA determined that coils need to be replaced."

They wanted $1,134.00 to change the coils and plugs. I said, no thanks! I can get the parts online for about 400 bucks and will do the work myself.

I asked why 5 of 6 coils are bad on a 2013 vehicle with 57,000 miles and was told the factory Bosch coils don't last as long as the Delphi coils BMW now uses as replacement parts. The coils on my 97 328 have lasted 235,000 miles...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally was able to take care of this. The P codes from generic readers are useless. Carly showed a code, I don't remember the number now, which indicated a bad fuel pressure sensor at the tank. This sounded like the LPFP to me, which has an integrated sensor and literally sticks out of the top of the gas tank, under the rear seat. I had already had this replaced under warranty by the dealer about a year and a half ago as the one from the factory was a known bad part that caused the MIL to light up.

Well, replacing that pump cleared that fault code - but not the MIL. Carly also showed some puzzling and to me obscure other faults (AC compressor but AC working; something else about a rear electrical module) and I was done futzing with this car.

Took it to an indy shop recommended to me by a long-time BMW owner. They diagnosed failing auxiliary battery, with good volts but **** for amps, which was underpowering various systems like the AC.

And triggering the MIL, which with a new batt is gone at last. The rough idle was because of coding glitches; upgraded coding fixed that. (This BMW specialty shop has been in business for 25 years; the owner said the AH3 required "extremely complicated coding" that took several tries before the car would accept it.)

So the upshot is this car while a lot of fun to drive is one persnickety machine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally was able to take care of this. The P codes from generic readers are useless. Carly showed a code, I don't remember the number now, which indicated a bad fuel pressure sensor at the tank. This sounded like the LPFP to me, which has an integrated sensor and literally sticks out of the top of the gas tank, under the rear seat. I had already had this replaced under warranty by the dealer about a year and a half ago as the one from the factory was a known bad part that caused the MIL to light up.

Well, replacing that pump cleared that fault code - but not the MIL. Carly also showed some puzzling and to me obscure other faults (AC compressor but AC working; something else about a rear electrical module) and I was done futzing with this car.

Took it to an indy shop recommended to me by a long-time BMW owner. They diagnosed failing auxiliary battery, with good volts but **** for amps, which was underpowering various systems like the AC.

And triggering the MIL, which with a new batt is gone at last. The rough idle was because of coding glitches; upgraded coding fixed that. (This BMW specialty shop has been in business for 25 years; the owner said the AH3 required "extremely complicated coding" that took several tries before the car would accept it.)

So the upshot is this car while a lot of fun to drive is one persnickety machine.
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, Mike do you know if this was the battery in the passenger side behind the trim in the trunk? What did it cost you?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.