·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any help here?

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's under the car on the tranny, do you know if you have the 5hp30 or 5hp24 transmission? Only the early 1996 build '97 model year 540's have the 5hp30. If you have the 5hp30, this site has a diagram: http://www.e38.org/zf-5hp30-service.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks, i have the a5s440z tranny i think. its a 2000 540i. i drained it while the car was cold, and i'm gonna measure how much came out so i can put the same amount back in.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Is it me, or do the pictures look like they have the drain and fill plugs reversed? Why would the bottom most bolt, on the bottom of the pan be the fill port? I feel like it should the the drain port and the port on the side of the tranny to be the "fill" port. Could it be, or am i way off base?

·
'00 540i Sport
202 Posts
Just a tip, and it sounds like it's too late, but because these bolts can be difficult to break loose, it's suggested that you break the fill bolt loose first. That way you don't end up stuck if you drain the tranny and then can't get the fill bolt out.

·
'00 540i Sport
202 Posts
Tominos, how many miles are on your car, and has the transmission been serviced before? Give us a report on how it performs after the fluid change. I have 122K miles on my 540i and am considering a transmission service. But, I'm a little nervous to do it. It's about a 50/50 split, some say servicing a high mileage transmission will cause problems, and others say it will not :dunno:.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Is it me, or do the pictures look like they have the drain and fill plugs reversed? Why would the bottom most bolt, on the bottom of the pan be the fill port? I feel like it should the the drain port and the port on the side of the tranny to be the "fill" port. Could it be, or am i way off base?
The fill plug on the 5hp30 is accessed from the bottom of the pan, but the bottom of the pan is actually concaved in about 3 inches and the plug is in that.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Its just you. Look at the pictures.

The fill hole has a boss or a mound shape inside the cast alum pan so the oil can not run out unless it is higher than the boss.

The drain plug is at the lowest part of the pan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tominos, how many miles are on your car, and has the transmission been serviced before? Give us a report on how it performs after the fluid change. I have 122K miles on my 540i and am considering a transmission service. But, I'm a little nervous to do it. It's about a 50/50 split, some say servicing a high mileage transmission will cause problems, and others say it will not :dunno:.
car has 120k miles on it, i think original fluid.

i'm having a little trouble with the fill procedure. i think i have to fill it some more at the right temperature and with the car running.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
tominos;i think i have to fill it some more at the right temperature and with the car running.[/QUOTE said:
I do not have the slush box but still that doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/Tranny/SD92-114.pdf

it's not very hard but why couldn't bmw make the car with a dipstick? lol. so i had it on the jackstands, with the car running, ran through the gears with the ac on, then put in park. then opened up the fill hole and had to pump one more quart in to get to the right level.

it's very important to do it this way otherwise you'll end up with over or underfill. as i learned the hard way.

car shifts much better now, than before the change. i'm glad i didn't leave the old fluid in there any longer. drives like new now. fullthrottle downshifts are immediate, and firm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i say do it. just drop the pan, change the filter and fill it with fluid. you won't regret it after you see the original fluid in there. my magnets were filled with metal shavings and there was some sludge at the bottom.

i made a thread on bimmerforums

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791002

·
'00 540i Sport
202 Posts
i say do it. just drop the pan, change the filter and fill it with fluid. you won't regret it after you see the original fluid in there. my magnets were filled with metal shavings and there was some sludge at the bottom.

i made a thread on bimmerforums

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791002
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear you fluid change was successful and it shifts much better. I think I will go ahead and do the service on mine as well.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Could i use the side hole to suck out the fluid with an oil vacuum? Then refill the tranny with the same amount? Run it , then suck out and refill again?

I was thinking of doing this for a "light" service to replace the fluid through dilution. The tranny only has an easy 42K on it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Its just you. Look at the pictures.

The fill hole has a boss or a mound shape inside the cast alum pan so the oil can not run out unless it is higher than the boss.

The drain plug is at the lowest part of the pan.
OK, i thought i saw that in the picture but was unsure if i was interpreting what i saw correctly.

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts