BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The belt popped on my car, it was replaced, and then it threw a p1415 code. The maf was replaced, and now i have a p0171 and p0174 code. I know what the codes mean (running lean) but i still can't find the problem. I made a home made smoke machine, and the only leak seems to be coming from the crankshaft pully. Im not sure if maybe a shard of the belt messed it up. The car is now idleing around 600-750 rpm's, and starts to surge in 100+- intervals. Everything is pointing to a vacuum leak, but there is only the one. Any help would be appreciated on helping me fix this, its been almost a month, its been to a shop, and thy cant fix it either. HELP!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this post is very old, but figured maybe someone would know something???? Did you ever figure this problem out? I had the exact same thing happen to me and have the same three codes. Also did a smoke test and had the same result (smoke coming from behind the crank pulley). Did the maf solve the 1415?

·
Registered
685 Posts
can't fix p1415,p0171 & p0174 help

When the belt shreds off, parts of it almost always get wrapped behind the crankshaft pulley and damage the front crankshaft radial seal. This causes an air leak in the crankcase system which will cause the lean mixture faults. I would replace the seal. Also, the belt usually slips or shreds off due to leaking oil filter housing gasket, I would double check it to make it's not leaking onto the new belt

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
3 Posts
BMWoem1 Thank you very much for the reply. I was kinda afraid of that. You definitely hit the nail on the head. My filter gasket was leaking when this happened(since been replaced). Would this also cause a hesitation at higher speeds? I do notice a erratic idle that I feel is a direct cause. Next question is how hard is this gasket to replace? Thanks again for your reply!

·
Registered
685 Posts

Yes, an air leaking will cause erratic engine operation. Special tools are needed when replacing this seal, but it's not that difficult. The belt and crankshaft pulley (6 bolts) need to come out. It may be possible to do it without the special tools, but the new seal may get damaged when reinstalling it.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
don't spin the spin the crank bolt/vibration damper bolt off like in first link below ......read the warning in bentley..... 117-5 of the 3 series book not to remove the vibration damper hub bolt because the timing chain sprocket will become free to rotate

seal replace tips .....an old BMW but lots of the same tech needed......also some good stuff in the bentley 3 series manual 119-6 ref the loctite on the seal / crank split lines

http://blog.bavauto.com/7527/bmw-m42-4-cylinder-crankshaft-seal-removal-diy-318i-318is-318ic/

·
Registered
685 Posts

Disregard that last post, that is NOT how to remove the crankshaft pulley in your engine. If you remove that center bolt, you will have to retime the engine. There are 6 small e-torx bolts that hold the pulley to the front of the crankshaft

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
good advice

yes .....good advice from last post
bentley warns in 117-5 of the 3 series book not to remove the vibration damper hub bolt because the timing chain sprocket will become free to rotate .......so ......I edited out the shade tree method of bolt removal
also 119-6 has the good procedure

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just registered to this forum to thank you "bmwoem1" for the correct analysis of the problem. I had the exact same problem a week ago when the drive belt snapped on my 06 e90 325i, and had the car idling very rough with a CEL on the dash. The diagnostic code was P1415. After two full days of troubleshooting looking for vacuum leaks and trying different MAFs to no avail, I came across this thread, replaced the crankshaft seal, and voila, the rough idling issue was resolved instantaneously. Many thanks again. +111111111111111

·
Registered
685 Posts

I just registered to this forum to thank you "bmwoem1" for the correct analysis of the problem. I had the exact same problem a week ago when the drive belt snapped on my 06 e90 325i, and had the car idling very rough with a CEL on the dash. The diagnostic code was P1415. After two full days of troubleshooting looking for vacuum leaks and trying different MAFs to no avail, I came across this thread, replaced the crankshaft seal, and voila, the rough idling issue was resolved instantaneously. Many thanks again. +111111111111111
You're very welcome

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same codes as well + maf , got the car used the person probably ditched it because they couldn't resolve the problem. I also have a leak near the oil filter housing, so im assuming they never changed the gasket but most likely the belt was probably changed and they never corrected this problem.

I found the seal on this site.
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-330xi-N52_3.0L/Engine/Gaskets_-and-_Seals/ES17759/

It's my understanding that #2 is what I am changing?

I don't have a bentley, So I remove the 6 bolts that are pictured #4, The crank pulley #1 comes off. Now what about bolt #3 Do I leave that alone. Is the seal I am replacing bigger then the hub #2

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.