BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my X5 would not start this morning. I took the battery to get tested and it tested bad, so I replaced the battery, the car STILL WONT START, so I am forced to have it towed, however I can not get it in neutral. I used the tool to remove the cover under the cupholder, but there is not a slot for the tool to go on the transmission, there is only a nut/bolt that sits on top of the transmission. HELP!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is it an LCI (2011+ model)? If so unfortunately there is no manual neutral switch for the 2011's and up (In BMW's logic they deemed the switch too heavy and opted to remove it) your only option in this case is to have a 1 Ton tow it with Dolly's on the back wheels. I had the same issue last week car wouldn't start, had a flatbed come out and couldn't get it in neutral and had to use a 1 Ton as well. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,304 Posts
Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Nuclear engineer
18,304 Posts
I wonder how many recovery vehicle operators know this, and how many would futz around for an hour complying with our towing requirement. My plan is to call BMW SOS and put the onus on them for a properly trained recovery operator. One of the advantages of being retired with more good sense than cents is that I can afford to wait.

Within the month a neighbor snagged and broke a front wheel on her TOURAG on a light standard and let it be dragged ten miles to meet a flatbed. I'll bet he put his big hook on her front suspension and further ruined her car. Her husband is a activist litigant that loves to sue - and wealthy to boot.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I previously searched for this procedure, but was unable to find it -- certainly good to know.
It would be nice to have hole in the cover under the car to access the screw...

... One of the advantages of being retired with more good sense than cents is that I can afford to wait...
I'll like that phrase :thumbup:

·
Registered
324 Posts
My plan is to call BMW SOS and put the onus on them for a properly trained recovery operator.
Hasn't this service been slated for deprecation by the end of 2016 along with the rest of connectdrive?

I've had better support with Good Sam recovery vs AAA, but both of them have provided the service that I needed. If I were ever in this situation I'd be sure to make them aware of it before dispatching someone so that I don't end up waiting twice.

·
Nuclear engineer
18,304 Posts
To my knowledge the BMW 2G LTE service is being obsoleted for lack of compatibility of the SIM/TCU with current LTE. BMW over the air drivers services are rapidly developing, even to an eye to autonomous vehicles.

I think I recall suggestions of notice by BMW of workarounds by end of June.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,331 Posts
I just love the training video: put it on a lift and get it up in the air.

HOW

THE

FRUCK

do I do that when it is stuck in park in a garage 3 stores down?!?!?!

;)

·
Nuclear engineer
18,304 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just love the training video: put it on a lift and get it up in the air.

HOW

THE

FRUCK

do I do that when it is stuck in park in a garage 3 stores down?!?!?!

;)
And heaven forbid you're parked on an incline and forget to put down wheel chocks. The absolute last place I'd want to be is directly underneath a vehicle I'm trying to put in neutral. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
And heaven forbid you're parked on an incline and forget to put down wheel chocks. The absolute last place I'd want to be is directly underneath a vehicle I'm trying to put in neutral. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?
BMW really should've thought this through better, don't get why the system in place for the non-LCI models wasn't good enough, not everyone has access nor the ability to get under the car and unscrew the cover, not to mention the safety risks associated to it.

·
Nuclear engineer
18,304 Posts
How many times has the option been used on similarly equipped cars? Of those times, how many were in particularly risky circumstances? Other than owners the most likely users of the option are professional recovery operators and they are not complaining of the difficulty or risk - or being sued by owners for damaging their cars.

Same as the tow hook; why bother, they got big hooks for them aluminum suspension pieces and they're in too much of an hurry to futz around with some chi-chi furrin' car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts