BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 93 325 converted with a 95 m3 s52 engine. I replaced water pump, water pump pulley, belt tensioner, idler pulley, thermostat and it's housing. I also replaced tensioner and belt on compressor. That belt went on fine. I can't seem to get this one on. I got belt and tensioner at BMW. I think the belt route and the actual belt are the same for both 325 and m3. It seems this belt is about an inch too small. What am I missing here?
The belt part is #6k-1555. I also went to advance and the belt they had was the exact same size, so I think I got the right one, not sure.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for leaving out some info. I have the manuals, I have replaced many belts in the past, and I have been using a torx bit to relieve all of the tension on the tensioner puller. Still seems short. I have been searching online for hours to no avail. Has anybody out there had a similar problem?

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,466 Posts
Torx bit? The A/C belt uses an 8mm hex wrench, and the accessory belt uses a socket (can't remember exact size) to release the tensioner. I don't know why you're having trouble though. I just replaced the belts on my 328 a few days ago and didn't have any trouble. Sure you have the right size?

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
RealOEM shows the same belt for both your original engine and your transplant M3. Both belts are 1555mm. I just replaced my belts and I wound up slipping the belt over the tensioner pulley last since it doesn't have a shoulder on it. That was the easiest way to get it on. Also you need to make certain the belt is seated in the V grooves in all of the other pulleys. If it's not it takes up quite a bit of the length of the belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got it on

My tensioner was somehow stuck open, it would barely move. I stripped the bolt and my tool trying to get it to move more. I could move it a bit, but after I installed a new one it torqued much more and I was able to easily slip the belt on. Funny I thought a tensioner would fail and then not spring out anymore, but it's fixed now. Thanks for all your suggestions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My tensioner pulleys required a Torx bit, T47. Even got a new one from the dealer, same "star" pattern. Different from others here, obviously, but definitely not a hex bit or a socket. It was the idler pulley that required a socket.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,466 Posts
This is interesting, because it looks like we're slowly discovering that BMW had three different designs for the tensioners. As I mentioned before, my car required an 8mm hex for the A/C belt, and a 16mm socket for the accessory belt tensioner. I consulted the Bentley manual before doing the work, and it made no mention of using a socket. I guess the Bentley PDF that I have must predate my car. So it seems as though, depending on the year of the car, the belt tensioners required either a torx driver, hex (allen) wrench, or socket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts