Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just a bit of a rant here.

I was able to successfully set the A.S.S. to last user selected on my 340i, but there is no way for my local independent dealer (a great one here in SD - DOSE BMW - highly recommended) to re-code my new 2018 X3 to have A.S.S. set to last user selected (my BMW dealership wouldn't do it as they stated they could not get a PUMA (sp?) from BMW to perform this). Apparently, there is no PID (SP?) available now and the only way they said they could do it is to open an ISTA session which would take quite awhile - have to leave the car, etc. Then there is the issue that when taking the car back into BMW service, any software updates would effectively overwrite the change.

In addition to having to manually disable A.S.S.:

You should be able to set it to start the car in the mode you drive in the most. I like adaptive mode, and as such I would like to have the car start in that mode.

I like the recirc on almost 100% of the time as it is more efficient. I press the button for recirc, stop the car, turn it on again, and have to re-engage recirc.

The car likes to default to the main menu on the iDrive - again if I have it in map mode, stop the car, turn it on again, it should stay there. There seems to be no pattern with this one - 3/4 times maybe it will start in map mode, but then somehow it goes back to the main menu whenever it wants to upon startup.

So basically, you turn on the car and have to hit 4-5 other buttons to get the car back to how you want it to operate. Not very efficient, and actually a safety hazard to have to constantly interact with the vehicle.

Anyone else been successful coding A.S.S. to last user selected on a G01? Is ISTA the way to go? I can live with the rest, but this really needs to be something the driver can customize. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
"Recirc is more efficient?" How is not having any fresh air coming into the cabin at all 100% of the time more efficient? Its my belief that recirc defaults to off every time because there should be some outside air coming into the cabin at times or it gets stale. I have no proof of that, but am really interested in how 100% recirc is "more efficient" than letting more oxygen into the cabin with the regular setting.

The car does not start up in some modes due to the US government CAFE standards. If the car can default to sport (for example) they would have to test for emissions etc in the sport mode, and report EPA mileage figures for that mode. Probably why they make people have to code it off and dealers stopped doing it (CAFE standards). You might want to ask or look in the coding forum to see if A.S.S can be coded off for your specific car.

On the map mode I dont know. Our X3 is due to the dealer first couple of weeks of january so we dont have it yet. Our 2016s default to the menu I think but since we can press a physical navigation button to display the map its not an issue. I honestly cant remember if it defaults that way or not. I suspect that it defaults to the last mode if you get in the car when it has not gone fully to sleep yet (10-15 minutes) but I dont know.

Thanks in advance for explaining why the recirculation mode is more efficient, I love learning new things.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,162 Posts
i had mine coded to remember ASS off and also to start up in sport mode by default.
the first i was able to do with bimmercode, the engine just cant be running.

the second almaretto (super mod on this forum) coded for me today along with variable light distribution, no glare high beams and a few other options.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Recirc is more efficient?" How is not having any fresh air coming into the cabin at all 100% of the time more efficient? Its my belief that recirc defaults to off every time because there should be some outside air coming into the cabin at times or it gets stale. I have no proof of that, but am really interested in how 100% recirc is "more efficient" than letting more oxygen into the cabin with the regular setting.

The car does not start up in some modes due to the US government CAFE standards. If the car can default to sport (for example) they would have to test for emissions etc in the sport mode, and report EPA mileage figures for that mode. Probably why they make people have to code it off and dealers stopped doing it (CAFE standards). You might want to ask or look in the coding forum to see if A.S.S can be coded off for your specific car.

On the map mode I dont know. Our X3 is due to the dealer first couple of weeks of january so we dont have it yet. Our 2016s default to the menu I think but since we can press a physical navigation button to display the map its not an issue. I honestly cant remember if it defaults that way or not. I suspect that it defaults to the last mode if you get in the car when it has not gone fully to sleep yet (10-15 minutes) but I dont know.

Thanks in advance for explaining why the recirculation mode is more efficient, I love learning new things.
I think you are confused and talking about fresh air vs. more efficient heating / cooling. When the air is recirculating, it means that the vehicle is cooling / heating air that is already being cooled or heated = faster time to reach desired temperature.

I keep my car VERY clean and I generally would rather block out the pollutants and other crap coming in from the outside. iDrive even has a setting for "automatic recirculation" that detects when air particulates are high and will switch the car to recirc mode. But alas, when one presses the recirc button, and you turn the car off - it defaults back to non-recirc mode.

Re: the CAFE issue, I think we can all agree that the mileage cited by BMW is pretty hard to obtain - you can only achieve this with the lightest accelerator pressure in eco mode. Nobody really drives that way. Right now my X3 XDrive30i averages about 22 combined which is well under spec and I don't drive it particularly hard and most of my driving is highway (I-15 in San Diego).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I coded ASS to default to last position as soon as I got the car, using BimmerCode and a quality Bluetooth Dongle as recommended by BimmerCode. A simple change that radically improves the vehicle driveability. BC is an absolute must.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Stuart in Houston
641 Posts
The car likes to default to the main menu on the iDrive - again if I have it in map mode, stop the car, turn it on again, it should stay there.
This is a bug if it happens to you. In my few weeks of driving my new X3, this has never happened to me. And I use a variety of different menus, all the time... maps, music, main screen, etc. Last one used always pops back up.

Agree on the ASS, it's a PITA. If I work up the courage to fiddle with Bimmercode, I'll change it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up my X3 from having the new winter tires put on. They had turned ASS back on, by accident. Driving the car around to my storage unit to put away my 19” wheels with Pirelli runflats, I honestly thought that the car was broken, because it kept stalling out. Finally realized the ASS had been turned back on!

Bimmercode is easy if you follow the directio;s to the letter.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
I think you are confused and talking about fresh air vs. more efficient heating / cooling. When the air is recirculating, it means that the vehicle is cooling / heating air that is already being cooled or heated = faster time to reach desired temperature.

I keep my car VERY clean and I generally would rather block out the pollutants and other crap coming in from the outside. iDrive even has a setting for "automatic recirculation" that detects when air particulates are high and will switch the car to recirc mode. But alas, when one presses the recirc button, and you turn the car off - it defaults back to non-recirc mode.

Re: the CAFE issue, I think we can all agree that the mileage cited by BMW is pretty hard to obtain - you can only achieve this with the lightest accelerator pressure in eco mode. Nobody really drives that way. Right now my X3 XDrive30i averages about 22 combined which is well under spec and I don't drive it particularly hard and most of my driving is highway (I-15 in San Diego).
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am not sure where I am confused about fresh air vs recirc (but not being sure would by definition make me confused, right? :rofl: ).

I have been driving BMWs for about 12 years now (6 different BMWs in that time frame) and normally put them on the auto recirc setting if they had one. Keeping your car clean doesnt have anything that I can think of to do with whether you let fresh air into the cabin, or only "recirculate the air thats in the cabin".

That will certainly warm up / cool down the cabin faster since its recirculating the air, but I dont think that it would be a good idea to have that setting permanently on.. but given what you are saying you likely do just that and are still here to post so... :)rofl:).

The manual for BMW states (in relation to the recirculation settings):

====================
"With constant recirculated-air mode, the air quality in the car's interior deteriorates and the fogging of the windows increases" -- (BMW Drivers guide app, BMW manual, section on recirculation settings). So, since BMW is saying "the cars air quality decreases with constant recirculation mode" they dont feel it should be able to be on by default. That is likely the answer to your question of "why doesnt it stay like I set it".

As for the CAFE and default to a specific mode, yeah we agree that its very hard to hit the EPA standards, but it doesnt matter how hard it is to hit them, they are advertising numbers that people reference. Having more cars with lower EPA numbers would likely bring penalties etc, so this is one way they get around it.

Pretty annoying I agree, but I am fairly certain it could be coded off like was said.

In any case, thanks again for responding. I never really considered the "warm up / cool down the cabin faster with recirculation" angle, and that absolutely makes sense. With that being said, I still dont think its "healthy" to drive "permanently" with recirculated air, but everyone can make their own decisions. We pay for that right by buying the car :thumbup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I ended up getting the Bimmercode app.

Life is a LOT more pleasant now that the ASS stays off and I never see the stupid legal warnings when the car starts up.

·
Registered
214 Posts
This is a bug if it happens to you. In my few weeks of driving my new X3, this has never happened to me. And I use a variety of different menus, all the time... maps, music, main screen, etc. Last one used always pops back up.
Happens to me all the time. Various random things on the iDrive after I restart. Only occasionally will it be what was on the screen when I turn off the engine. I generally like having my radio presets on the screen, and that doesn't happen.

Never had this with my previous BMWs.

·
Stuart in Houston
641 Posts
Happens to me all the time. Various random things on the iDrive after I restart. Only occasionally will it be what was on the screen when I turn off the engine. I generally like having my radio presets on the screen, and that doesn't happen.

Never had this with my previous BMWs.
I wonder what could be causing this? Especially if it happens to several of you. As I said, so far my screen has always come up with my last screen open. The only variance is sometimes certain screens open in halfway form--half menu, half display. The info screen (the one that shows how long you've been driving, and the avg speeds, etc) always opens that way. But for the most part, it's just how I left it.

There was a bug in my last BMW, the E60 550i. If I left the USB music screen up, it would always default to not recognizing it next time I started the car. Required me to go to any other screen (Nav, phone, etc), then right back to USB. Then it worked. If I left it on Nav or whatever, I never had that problem. Glad to see my X3 doesn't have that issue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Anyone know if bimmercode has the ability to bring out the full brightness on the Adaptive headlights?
This change requires much more expert coding. Best to use one of the coding geniuses who can do the job remotely via Internet.
Yeah, it shows up in the "tutorial" when you play and learn with the app before actually connecting.

On my car, at least half the options in the tutorial were greyed out in Easy mode. I didn't want to do Expert mode for fear of bricking my car. Not worth the risk to me for a "fun" feature like that. I coded several things, but ASS off and the legal notifications off were the only two "must have" features for me.

And yes, some things didn't work properly. I'm supposed to have the Christmas animation on startup, but I don't see it. I have the M logo at startup. Not sure what happened but something got crossed. Knowing that, I didn't want to take the risk of going into Expert mode. I'm far from an expert in programming.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Recirc turns itself off automatically after 30 min.

After 30 min. with "recirc" selected on the A/C it AUTOMATICALLY goes back to normal as a safety feature to prevent lack of fresh air (oxygen).

Light stays on but you are getting fresh air..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts