BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just read it. I'm surprised that when it came to a test like this (330 vs. the world) that C&D did not opt for the sport suspension. Not knowing all the ins and outs of the other brands, I imagine their standard suspension is their only suspension option.

I suppose in the near-luxury class, they were looking for the most ballon-like ride.

I would like to try the continuously variable tranny that Audi makes - has anyone driven an Audi with that option?

G

·
dog said:
So I just read it. I surprised that when it came to a test like this (330 vs. the world) that C&D did not opt for the sport suspension. Not knowing all the ins and outs of the other brands, I imagine their standard suspension is their only suspension option.

I suppose in the near-luxury class, they were looking for the most ballon-like ride.

I would like to try the continuously variable tranny that Audi makes - has anyone driven an Audi with that option?
The sport suspension is standard on all 330 sedans and coupes. By not testing a sport package equipped 330i, they only had narrower tires (with AS rubber), flat seats and the 4-spoke steering wheel. But no suspension difference.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Allegedly, the 330 already comes with sports suspension :dunno:

Though, it might have actually helped the 330, as it had non-staggered skinny tires. Maybe less grip, but more fun and more balanced.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Car and Driver October 2002 Article

TD said:

The sport suspension is standard on all 330 sedans and coupes. By not testing a sport package equipped 330i, they only had narrower tires (with AS rubber), flat seats and the 4-spoke steering wheel. But no suspension difference.
But, they still got the "World's best throttle tip-in" :angel:

·
Registered
407 Posts

TD said:

That's true. The sport suspension is standard. As someone who went from non-SP setup to SP, all I can say is that the wheels make a HUGE difference. The ride is substancially harsher and firmer. The car corners much better and feels more planted on the road. You feel the road much more. DSC kicks in about 60% less than in a non-SP setup.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

TD said:

Good point. Is it obvious that I'm stuck in 2001?

Not your post, but I must take objection to the skinnier tires being more fun. Does a lower lateral G threshold make for more fun? Or perhaps you were referring to the sliding around in the non-sport seats? :dunno:

G

·
Re: Re: Re: Car and Driver October 2002 Article

dog said:

Good point. Is it obvious that I'm stuck in 2001?

Not your post, but I must take objection to the skinnier tires being more fun. Does a lower lateral G threshold make for more fun? Or perhaps you were referring to the sliding around in the non-sport seats? :dunno:
Non-staggered setup = less understeer = more fun

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Car and Driver October 2002 Article

TD said:

Non-staggered setup = less understeer = more fun
Inherent in the 'more fun' argument is profound subjectivity, with a possible *scoche* of objectivity. Seems like a futile argument to have here. :banghead:

·
5,820 Posts
TD,

friendly note. I noticed your avatar is gone, or under revision, but the line is moving your post margin over. :)

G

·
johnlew said:
TD,

friendly note. I noticed your avatar is gone, or under revision, but the line is moving your post margin over. :)
It's what was there when the avatar was there. Strangely, it doesn't throw anything off when I view the page. But, for you, I'll modify it.

G

·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Car and Driver October 2002 Article

dog said:

Inherent in the 'more fun' argument is profound subjectivity, with a possible *scoche* of objectivity. Seems like a futile argument to have here. :banghead:
Objective or not, it is what I suspect was Nate was referring to.

·
5,820 Posts
TD said:

It's what was there when the avatar was there. Strangely, it doesn't throw anything off when I view the page. But, for you, I'll modify it.
Now it's a period with an equal margin. Maybe it has to do with the resolution on my office screen, 1024x768. I use 800X600 at home and don't recall seeing your posts off margin there. :dunno: Anyway, thanks.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
johnlew said:

Now it's a period with an equal margin. Maybe it has to do with the resolution on my office screen, 1024x768. I use 800X600 at home and don't recall seeing your posts off margin there. :dunno: Anyway, thanks.
So that's why you always complain about picture sizes. A resolution of 800x600, or hell, 1024x768? I don't understand how 80% of the websites out there look right on your screen. I'm at 1280x1024 right now, which is the "just right" setting to me.

·
Grumpy and Cynical
7,639 Posts
Have you guys checked out the G35 forum in www.freshalloy.com? The G35 guys are crying foul because the 330i came in first. Funny, when a mag like their car, it's a great review. If a mag finds their car wanting, it's a cheap rag.

Ed

·
Registered
595 Posts
where is nate?

the 330i weighed in at 3478 pounds for this car and driver comparison.

yuck-o.

again, relative to the other cars in the test, it's the lightest....but everything is relative, isn't it?

sorta waiting here for the point where weight will start to come down again. fuel economy? braking? cornering? unsprung weight? acceleration?

it would thump them even worse,if it was closer to its 3200 lb. weight.

·
10,856 Posts
PP, Step, and all the other luxo crap will add to the weight. :p
Nonetheless, my land barge does pretty well. :)

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: where is nate?

blackdawg said:
the 330i weighed in at 3478 pounds for this car and driver comparison.

yuck-o.

again, relative to the other cars in the test, it's the lightest....but everything is relative, isn't it?

sorta waiting here for the point where weight will start to come down again. fuel economy? braking? cornering? unsprung weight? acceleration?

it would thump them even worse,if it was closer to its 3200 lb. weight.
I'm right here. I posted further up

Ya, auto 330s are pretty portly. My car weighs "only" 3220 on the scales...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts