BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the E9x 3 Series life cycle coming to an end the generation 3 series, the F30 is the big automotive secret to be speculated on. Car and Drive gives us a run down of what they think BMW will bring to the 5th generation 3 series. Including -

• 2.0L turbo in the 328 (or will it be named a 325?)
  • N55 for the 335
  • Increase in overall size
  • Probably a state side diesel engine option
  • 6 speed manual
  • 8 speed auto
  • All wheel drive optional
  • Driver selectable/adjustable suspension
  • M3 powered by twin turbo I6

Not surprising to see the 3er grow in size, but it is disappointing. I can see the N55 being a single year production with a new motor program coming along with the introduction of the coupe one year after the sedan.

I like the strong angular lines of the C&D rendering. What do you think, is the F30 your next BMW?

http://www.f30driver.com/threads/98-Car-and-Driver-Speculates-on-the-F30-Next-Gen-3-Series

Follow our full F30 3 Series coverage at http://www.bimmerfest.com/tag/F30/

Attachments

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,417 Posts
Let's see some M3 renderings!

It's an evolution not revolution this time, which will sell well.

Sent from my BMW Approved© HTC Desire using BimmerApp

·
Registered
554 Posts
...... What do you think, is the F30 your next BMW? .....
From the perspective of a replacement for the E60 5 series, I like what I see. The increased room and the adjustable suspension compared to the current 3 series are especially appealing if you don't want to go up to the size and price tier of the new 5 series.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Exactly what I said about my E46 after the E9X's came out. What turns me off is that BMW keeps making the car bigger.
As long as gas is cheap, that will continue to be the case. Cars just keep getting bigger since there's no financial penalty to more weight. What I'm finding is that parking spaces in my condo building, at my office, or at the supermarket were not designed for such wide cars. Avoiding door dings is increasingly difficult as cars (and Americans) get wider over time. When my X3 eventually goes, I'll find myself looking at a VW GTI or an Audi A3, assuming they stay a reasonable size.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Exactly what I said about my E46 after the E9X's came out. What turns me off is that BMW keeps making the car bigger.
+1. If it's any heavier than the E90, my next BMW will be a 1 series.

I hear a lot of people praise the 3 series for it's handling, but coming from a much lighter car, I'm disappointed by how it handles in the twisties.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts

I hear a lot of people praise the 3 series for it's handling, but coming from a much lighter car, I'm disappointed by how it handles in the twisties.
That's the 335i penalty. Not kidding. Drive a 328i on the same twisties as your 335i and the cars will feel so different. The 328i will dance where the 335i's extra pounds makes it feel like a heavyweight boxer. Yep, it's fast but the 335i doesn't feel exactly limber.

My keen hope for the F30 is that BMW will be able to keep the weight around the same as the e90 328i but with that turbo give us better HP and torque.

·
Registered
723 Posts
They reall need to rethink their naming customs. A 328 with a 2.0T? Perhaps they should remove the T from wagons and use it for "turbo" instead (unless they go to an all turbo lineup, in which case it'd be redundant). Speaking of redundant, when was the last time they made a car that wasn't fuel-injected? That's what the "i" stands for. They should drop the i, or just use it on the direct-injected models. Hybrids would get an "H". Electrics would get an "E" (e.g. 3E)

So, the 328i would become the 330. The 335i would become the 330Ti. The 335D would become the 330TD (as all diesels are direct injected. Avoids TDi infringement with VW, too). The 2.0T would be the 320T or 320Ti. A hybrid version of the same would be the 320THi.

Body styles would no longer be indicated in the names, which they're already pretty much doing. Sedan, Coupe, Conv, and Wagon would all have the same names if the engine is the same.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Anyone think that they are moving the 3 series up in size to justify making room for an eventual 1 series sedan?

I mean the way it looks the F30 is the same size as the E39. From a business standpoint that leaves a price gap that could be filled by a 1er sedan. You'd have Mini and the i3 filling in for entry level 20-36k, the 1 series from 30-50k, 3 series (bread and butter lines) at 36-65k, the 5 series from 45-80k, and the 7 series from 70+ There's a lot of deliberate overlap because it would push the buyer at mid-range to potentially purchase the next size up, plus a la carte pricing builds in additional profitability.

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
all car manufacturers (in pretty much every case that i can think of) have slowly/gradually increased the size of their cars (in the NA market) in order to jack up prices and introduce lower-end models--it's just effective marketing.

that being said, i'm not as enamored with the current f10 as i hoped i would be, so an f30 that's approximately the size of my e39 would be just about perfect (dimension wise) for me!

i actually think that a slightly smaller, nimbler (but still as nice--don't cut corners on the interior quality, features, ventilated seats, rear sunshades, etc.) 5er would be ideal.

In addition, I'm most likely leaning toward a cabrio, and I never cared for the 6er (past/present/future). It's still but fugly, even the new one.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
That's the 335i penalty. Not kidding. Drive a 328i on the same twisties as your 335i and the cars will feel so different. The 328i will dance where the 335i's extra pounds makes it feel like a heavyweight boxer. Yep, it's fast but the 335i doesn't feel exactly limber.

My keen hope for the F30 is that BMW will be able to keep the weight around the same as the e90 328i but with that turbo give us better HP and torque.
335i E92:

Curb Weight MT 3560
Curb Weight AT 3582

328i E92

Curb Weight MT 3362
Curb Weight AT 3428

MT difference is: 3560-3362 = 198 lbs
AT difference is: 3582-3428 = 154 lbs

do you REALLY feel that much of a difference?

I don't... and the twin-turbo punch between corners more than makes up for the weight in my books... :dunno:

·
Registered
6,769 Posts

I was thinking 1 series or a CPO Cayman S...

·
Registered
195 Posts
335i E92:

My previous car was a mid engine light weight, but due to need of 4 doors, it had to go. I definitely feel the e90 335 is too heavy, esp in front.

As it looks now, with new 1 series getting too big, and 3 series probably growing again, I'll be in the market for a used 1 M-series when I can go back to 2 doors in a couple of years (steel need 4 seats, though).

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
335i E92:

Curb Weight MT 3560
Curb Weight AT 3582

328i E92

Curb Weight MT 3362
Curb Weight AT 3428

do you REALLY feel that much of a difference?

I don't... and the twin-turbo punch between corners more than makes up for the weight in my books... :dunno:
328i e90 manual - 3362
335i e90 manual - 3593

That's over 230 lbs! You can't feel the difference when there is someone in your car or something heavy in your trunk? Okey dokey.

I'd love a 1 series sedan. Hell, I'd love to get back into something the size and weight of an e46 ZHP but sadly, I can't trust a used car (especially not a BMW that old).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.