BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hoping a dealer can confirm.

My CA sent a screenshot of the status of my car which just arrived in port and it has a hold for "Repair". The CA sent along with the screenshot an explanation that the "Repair" is to install the MPPSK on my car - meaning it is not damage to the car but actually the PIA that I requested.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?
I have no reason not to believe my CA, he has been awesome - but I just wanted to verify :)

Thanks!

·
340i ZMT
1,067 Posts
Hoping a dealer can confirm.

My CA sent a screenshot of the status of my car which just arrived in port and it has a hold for "Repair". The CA sent along with the screenshot an explanation that the "Repair" is to install the MPPSK on my car - meaning it is not damage to the car but actually the PIA that I requested.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? I have no reason not to believe my CA, he has been awesome - but I just wanted to verify :)

Thanks!
I think repair means repair. I could be wrong. However, the PDC is equipped as a mini factory to make it perfect. The problem is the extra time. Sorry for your luck mate.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,139 Posts
However, the PDC is equipped as a mini factory to make it perfect. .
You'd like to think that... repair is repair, nothing magical about PDC and the techniques they use, same as very high end body shops.

I do see a lot of spin along the lines of "as good as factory" when this comes up. Factory paint is factory paint, repaint is repaint. If that kind of thing bothers you (ie paint thickness) then there is no fixing that.

·
340i ZMT
1,067 Posts
You'd like to think that... repair is repair, nothing magical about PDC and the techniques they use, same as very high end body shops.

I do see a lot of spin along the lines of "as good as factory" when this comes up. Factory paint is factory paint, repaint is repaint. If that kind of thing bothers you (ie paint thickness) then there is no fixing that.
I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know. But this is the type of thing being stated....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6045647&postcount=8

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,139 Posts
I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know. But this is the type of thing being stated....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6045647&postcount=8
Yup, agree that is the party line.

Calling something 'factory level' doesnt mean much... do they strip the body shell and dip it in the multi-stage protection process the factory uses? No. Do they bake paint in ovens? No. Heat lamps perhaps, like a shop. I have no doubt it is a high quality repair.

IMO BMW has a vested interest in promulgating a "as good as factory" perception- at the VDC in spartanburg and Oxnard. Spinning it to car clubs and getting those stories out there on blogs, forums and other 'friendly writers' does PRECISELY what they want - you read it and repeat it in this thread.

If someone could actually explain what is different about the repairs or methods, Id be happy to reset my thinking. Also, the repairs they do are really quite minor- once repairs get above some level (I forget, but like 5% of the cars value?), they are required to disclose this; badly damaged cars (that might actually need 'factory level major repairs' are more likely to get repaired and sent to auction if the future owner or dealer turn them down... I expect that the vast majority of work they do THAT GETS TO AN OWNER is minor- so repainting a door, a fender, a hood- what is a 'factory level bumper repaint'?

Im not saying I am right- but I do feel that there really is no info out there other than what BMWNA has sought to spin online... Plus the occasional sales rep coming along and repeating what they have read in an internal BMW document (that parrots 'factory level facility' concept.)

·
340i ZMT
1,067 Posts

Calling something 'factory level' doesnt mean much... do they strip the body shell and dip it in the multi-stage protection process the factory uses? No. Do they bake paint in ovens? No. Heat lamps perhaps, like a shop. I have no doubt it is a high quality repair.

IMO BMW has a vested interest in promulgating a "as good as factory" perception- at the VDC in spartanburg and Oxnard. Spinning it to car clubs and getting those stories out there on blogs, forums and other 'friendly writers' does PRECISELY what they want - you read it and repeat it in this thread.

If someone could actually explain what is different about the repairs or methods, Id be happy to reset my thinking. Also, the repairs they do are really quite minor- once repairs get above some level (I forget, but like 5% of the cars value?), they are required to disclose this; badly damaged cars (that might actually need 'factory level major repairs' are more likely to get repaired and sent to auction if the future owner or dealer turn them down... I expect that the vast majority of work they do THAT GETS TO AN OWNER is minor- so repainting a door, a fender, a hood- what is a 'factory level bumper repaint'?

Im not saying I am right- but I do feel that there really is no info out there other than what BMWNA has sought to spin online... Plus the occasional sales rep coming along and repeating what they have read in an internal BMW document (that parrots 'factory level facility' concept.)
Like I said above, I'm not arguing. I was reporting what others who have laid eyes on it or toured thru have said.

As to your points. I don't know much about repair work. But when I heard factory level, I always assumed that meant that BMW wouldn't be repairing or repainting any body panels damaged, but would be replacing them entirely. But that was just my assumption from what I had explained to me. You may be correct that it's just a body shop. I would find that to be a major bummer if that's what the law allows for the sale, without disclosure, as a new car.

·
340i ZMT
1,067 Posts

Like I said above, I'm not arguing. I was reporting what others who have laid eyes on it or toured thru have said.

As to your points. I don't know much about repair work. But when I heard factory level, I always assumed that meant that BMW wouldn't be repairing or repainting any body panels damaged, but would be replacing them entirely. But that was just my assumption from what I had explained to me. You may be correct that it's just a body shop. I would find that to be a major bummer if that's what the law allows for the sale, without disclosure, as a new car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So - back to my original question -- my CA says the reason for the REPAIR status is for the MPPSK Exhaust to be installed and not because there is actual damage to the car. True/False?

BTW- Just to continue your discussion on VPC repairs - check out this thread -- they do in fact have an oven and take apart cars for repainting if the damage is severe enough ...

http://www.e90post.com/vpc/index.asp.htm

·
Registered
218 Posts
OP, only your CA and BMW NA can answer if the car is being "repaired" or getting an exhaust installed, but from the link you cite in E90 post, it says if a repair exceeds 3% of the car value, the dealer will be informed. I've seen the VPC in New Jersey. Body repairs are top rate -- they're not hammering out dents and using filler. I wouldn't worry about it, but I would insist on full disclosure for what they do at VPC.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,139 Posts
. Body repairs are top rate -- they're not hammering out dents and using filler. .
I agree they are top rate.

In terms of 'hammering out"...how do you think dents are repaired? You hammer it out, get it as perfect as possible, then fill any contours with filler (like millimeter thicknesses to get it visually perfect) sand, prep, paint. IMO far preferable to cutting out panels and re-installing, as was mentioned above.

Sorry for the sidetrack OP. Your question is 'will adding an MPPSK to ANY new car show up as "REPAIR" on status. (not about what is going on with your car, but what is the general policy....)

This *IS* a question any sponsor/SA can answer, but they tend not to 'step' on other salesperson's deals..... in this case, they dont want to be telling you that 'no it isnt the MPPSK, its a body repair'. (If indeed that is the case.) Then again, it is the weekend, maybe they will chime in eventually.

Again I have no doubt the VPC will deliver the best repairs possible. But my point is they ARE repairs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys - still hoping someone familiar with BMW's ordering system can answer my question.

Ultimately for me - the car is a lease, so I'm not overly concerned about repairs so long as they're done correctly and wouldn't affect the reliability of the car or result in me being charged at the end of the lease for damage that happened on its way to the USA - and I'm pretty confident in the port's ability to repair the car such that neither should be a concern.

But I am very curious about it ... the CA didn't have to send me the screenshot with the "Repair" in there - could have cut out that part or whatever - and like I said, the CA has been awesome to deal with overall, so I have no reason to not trust him.

At the same time, I figured someone here would probably know if it is normal when parts need to be installed for PIA's like the LSD, MPE, MPPSK, etc and the status in the system says "Repair" (the actually category in the system is "Holds").

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on the matter!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts