BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 BMW 325Ci

Wife drove onto curb. Result: Passenger front bumper lip got scratched, front splash guard (2 pieces torn off. Question: on the bottom piece, there is this thing that a wire is connected to. Does anyone know what that thing is for?), stabilizer linkage popped out. I've replaced the linkage. Nothing visually seems bent in the area. However, now I have to hold the steering wheel about 10 degrees to the left to keep it going straight. Also a few minutes into the drive, the yellow traction control light comes on and stay on (like you turn it off) and the yellow brake light also comes on. One part of the rim also rolled up but it does not affect the tire's ability to hold air.

Any suggestions as to what to check for and replace? Would a simple realignment do the trick? TIA

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I think a tie rod has bent. That could be the reason for being off center.

check that section, the rod should point perfectly centered into that ball.

as for that panel with the wire, is that the outside temp sensor that you are asking about? As far as I remember it's on the driver side for the E46

Attachments

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
As for the yellow lights, they might be about the steering wheel not centered.

The rims can be repaired.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I checked the driver side also and there is also such a wire. Passenger side also has one but now I don't know what it's connected to and what for.

I'll take a look at the tire rod again.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts

·
Keeping it surreal
43,234 Posts
It's the passenger side and the fog light already has its own wire connected to it. So one wire left dangling.
Is your windshield washer working ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Bob! Glad to hear from you. :)

I have not checked but I'll try it out later. I'm expecting Schmolck's to chime in soon. :) Haven't been to this board for quite sometime.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Washer works fine.

To check for the tie rod I have to pull the rubber boot back, don't I? With the boot on, the whole thing does look a little bit crooked so I'm thinking it is indeed the rod.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,658 Posts
Question: on the bottom piece, there is this thing that a wire is connected to. Does anyone know what that thing is for?
It's the thermal control switch for the heated windshield washer jets. Turns off the nozzle heaters in warm weather.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the lack of posting in between. Didn't have time until now.

So I took my car to the alignment shop today and they told me that my lower control arm is bent. Cost: $217.99 for the arm, $159.99 for the arm bushings, and labor $155.40 (why didn't they end this with .99?) = 533.38, not including alignment ($100). Is that quote reasonable? If any site sponsors have competitive prices, please PM me.

Questions:
How hard is it to change the arm?
My traction control light is on and stay on. can't turn it off. Why?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,550 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks acoste. If I decide not to do it, I'll give it to the shop to do it for me.

I hope that's all I need to fix. Wife wanted to trade in for a new bimmer but I think I'm done with bmw for a long long time. Maybe I'll get a Lexus IS next time. The interior trims on this dang car are falling apart. So much for a luxury car. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
Lexus makes a good car, but not sure that, given equal treatment, the interior of 16-17 year old Lexus would be much different from BMW...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My bimmer only has 89K miles, considering it a 2001 car. It's the wife's babied summer car, garage parked most of the time. No abuses. I'm very disappointed with BMW quality.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wonder if any one of us have tried this kit yet on bavarian autosports

31 12 1KIT Front Suspension Upgrade Kit - Includes Meyle HD Control Arms And HD Control Arm Bushings

"On the 3 series 99 on, worn ball joints are problematic. The OE ball joints use a nylon insert that fails prematurely, causing shimmying and poor handling. And because the OE ball joints are an integral piece of the OE control arm, you cannot simply replace the ball joint, you have to replace the entire control arm assembly. Our reinforced aluminum control arm upgrade is not only lighter and stronger than stock, it has replaceable ball joints. Plus, our ball joints use an all-metal insert that performs better and last longer than the OE part. This Kit includes the upgraded control arms for both sides as well as a pair of our heavy duty front control arm bushings."

all-metal insert. Sounds heavy duty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts